Car game comparisons *hit & run*

Thanks.

Alright, so basically they can't/don't ramp up a whole lot in the shading due to fundamental renderer/design/engine choices. Even the buildings can look pretty flat in the lighting department.
Yea, I feel like they're going to need a real overhaul to get it to the next level. There is another discussion on lighting in another thread, I'll post it there, talks about the challenges of lighting, I think Graham also speaks to it as well. I think with what they've done already, they're about to hit their limits. They've got the best IQ that they can manage, the photogammetry, high quality textures, dynamic as much as possible. Aside from better fog, shadows, and lighting, which could require reworking the pipeline, not much else I think they can do to improve in the graphics department that will make a significant impact to the way people see the game.

or they could just now focus on making a better game. but no reason to release a F8 to do that, I would prefer that they invest in just improving/fixing F7

GTS is more photorealistic at glance in replays, but yes DC is a lot more detailed when it comes to track details.
VR is cleaner in GTS too.

Driveclub would have been glorious with a good pro patch.

GTS is more photorealistic at glance in replays, but yes DC is a lot more detailed when it comes to track details.

Yes DC has a lot more detail. 30fps certainly open up the possibilities. But what they have achieved with Drive Club in 2014 is simply outstanding and competes visually against some of the best current games. The attention to detail and the tech behind it is top notch. I would even say that it has been surpassed only now with Forza Horizon 4. It is a shame that it didn't launch full featured which affected reception.

A pro patch would have done wonders.

GTS suffers from some inconsistency and although it's photorealistic lighting and materials are probably unmatched, it is a shame that it didn't reach higher standards. Forza Motorsport 7 is probably a better achievement if we take into consideration that the game also runs at 1080p at 60fps with more track detail on XBOX S, which is a weaker hardware

I'm usually not so blunt... but, GTS tracks, lighting, trees and foliage look like garbage when compared to other racing games. And the HDR presentation (usage) looks overexposed, rather than natural. What's the point of having nice looking vehicles, when the rest of the presentation (environment) is underwhelming? I know Polyphony Digital (Kazunori Yamauchi) is Sony's little darlings, but their reputation for stunning graphics and amazing attention to detail is no long there, IMHO.

I'm usually not so blunt... but, GTS tracks, lighting, trees and foliage look like garbage when compared to other racing games. And the HDR presentation (usage) looks overexposed, rather than natural. What's the point of having nice looking vehicles, when the rest of the presentation (environment) is underwhelming? I know Polyphony Digital (Kazunori Yamauchi) is Sony's little darlings, but their reputation for stunning graphics and amazing attention to detail is no long there, IMHO.

The person who did that comparison literally chose the worst looking track in GTSport and then cranked up the brightness setting. GTS' track detail and graphics actually look fantastic outside of that DragonTrail track at that time of day. The foliage looks bad on DragonTrail because that's the only track in the game that seemed a bit more rushed compared to all of the other tracks. Could also just cherry pick this track of Driveclub to compare and say this is what the game looks like..
driveclub20151108014.png

I just played GTSport and Driveclub back to back and GTS actually looks considerably better, especially in texture detail, material work, lighting, and image quality (not even playing on the pro enhanced resolution mode). The material work in DC looks highly outdated as does the flat lighting in mid day. Roads, mountains, rocks and stones all end up looking like they're made of clay molds. No amount of Pro enhancements is going to get rid of that.

DC
89aDRIVECLUB20180627234.png

GTS
dc8GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

DC
DRIVECLUB20170602232.png

GTS
681GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

GTS Nurburgring, Monza, Le Mans, etc. are easily the most detailed and convincingly realistic looking tracks out of any 60fps racer and even beats 30fps racers in certain areas.
https://u.cubeupload.com/vspectra/8a4GranTurismoSPORT2018.png
https://u.cubeupload.com/vspectra/975GranTurismoSPORT2018.png
https://u.cubeupload.com/vspectra/a6fGranTurismoSPORT2018.png
https://u.cubeupload.com/vspectra/9b9GranTurismoSPORT2018.png
http://u.cubeupload.com/vspectra/de5GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

The reason GTSport also looks more realistic than DC in replay is simply because it just looks more realistic during gameplay. It doesn't make any sense why replay would have better graphics considering the lighting and assets are all the same.

GTS gameplay
c10GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

eGranTurismoSPORT2018.png

I made that video ^^

At the time only the demo was available i did what i could lol.
But i took a race track from DC to be fair, as it has less trees around the track compared to road tracks.

GTS has better IQ and textures. It has less detail for tracks and backgrounds. Less foliage (and a lot of trees Sprites that rotate with the camera i hate that) DC has a lot more foliage and variety and lots of them are 3d thus more pleasing to my eyes.
But of course 30fps is a big advantage here.

Last edited:
The person who did that comparison literally chose the worst looking track in GTSport and then cranked up the brightness setting. GTS' track detail and graphics actually look fantastic outside of that DragonTrail track at that time of day. The foliage looks bad on DragonTrail because that's the only track in the game that seemed a bit more rushed compared to all of the other tracks. Could also just cherry pick this track of Driveclub to compare and say this is what the game looks like..I just played GTSport and Driveclub back to back and GTS actually looks considerably better, especially in texture detail, material work, lighting, and image quality (not even playing on the pro enhanced resolution mode). The material work in DC looks highly outdated as does the flat lighting in mid day. Roads, mountains, rocks and stones all end up looking like they're made of clay molds. No amount of Pro enhancements is going to get rid of that.
I'm sorry but nothing in GTS comes remotely close to this in DC whether in track detail, effects, lighting complexity or raw poly count. It's a completely different beast altogether.
GTS has the advantage of iq from Pro and the inclusion of HDR and WCG, you give those to Driveclub and the gap would be even more massive.

I'm sorry but nothing in GTS comes remotely close to this in DC whether in track detail, effects, lighting complexity or raw poly count. It's a completely different beast altogether.
GTS has the advantage of iq from Pro and the inclusion of HDR and WCG, you give those to Driveclub and the gap would be even more massive.

Bro I literally just provided proof in the areas where GT looks considerably better in track detail. DC really only looks good in the rain and dusk/dawn time settings that hides the extremely drab and poor assets and textures, pretty much everything that video is trying to hide. Being 30fps it definitely has the advantages of being able to render more objects on screen, but the actual detail on those objects isn't any better than in GTS, actually worse in many aspects. A lot of the assets look downright horrendous, and you can find them on pretty much all of the tracks. I'm a big DC fan but it doesn't come close to GT when it comes to micro detail or even in lighting.

98eDRIVECLUB20180627232.png

No amount of pro enhancements (ala DC in photomode, but that actually does a whole lot more than just improve IQ) is going to magically improve its clay-looking objects and poor materials. GTS environment texture detail, photogrammetry assets, and material shaders are in a different league.

GTS
7ddGranTurismoSPORT2018.png

DC
a00DRIVECLUB20180628000.png

DC photomode, car interior and environment looks cartoonish in comparison
DRIVECLUB20180629011.png

GTS gameplay
9e0GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

DC Gameplay
DRIVECLUB20180629030.png

GTS gameplay
161GranTurismoSPORT2018.png

DC photomode which enhances lighting/GI as well, still doesn't look as good as GTS
905DRIVECLUB20180629030.png

Last edited:
GTS has better IQ and textures. It has less detail for tracks and backgrounds. Less foliage (and a lot of trees Sprites that rotate with the camera i hate that) DC has a lot more foliage and variety and lots of them are 3d thus more pleasing to my eyes.
But of course 30fps is a big advantage here.

I wonder what they would have achieved on Pro 4 years later when they did this back in 2014.

Quite possibly a 60fps mode. It's such a shame they were shut down. Yes, the release of Driveclub was a complete cock-up, but they rectified their mistakes and ended up with solid arcade-y racer that covered an area that Gran Turismo was never meant to.

At the very least, they had an engine that would have made for a killer Motorstorm: the perfect release for late in the PS4's life when it becomes cheap and appealing to casuals.

Bro I literally just provided proof in the areas where GT looks considerably better in track detail. DC really only looks good in the rain and dusk/dawn time settings that hides the extremely drab and poor assets and textures, pretty much everything that video is trying to hide. Being 30fps it definitely has the advantages of being able to render more objects on screen, but the actual detail on those objects isn't any better than in GTS, actually worse in many aspects. A lot of the assets look downright horrendous, and you can find them on pretty much all of the tracks. I'm a big DC fan but it doesn't come close to GT when it comes to micro detail or even in lighting.

No amount of pro enhancements (ala DC in photomode, but that actually does a whole lot more than just improve IQ) is going to magically improve its clay-looking objects and poor materials. GTS environment texture detail, photogrammetry assets, and material shaders are in a different league.

GTS

DC

DC photomode, car interior and environment looks cartoonish in comparison

GTS gameplay

DC Gameplay

GTS gameplay
DC photomode which enhances lighting/GI as well, still doesn't look as good as GTS
Cherry picking shots are really not useful in here since I can literally find hundreds of down right ugly shots of GT, far worse than those DC shots in fact. I admit GTS has some nice baked lighting, realistic materials, clean textures but the over abundance of cardboard cutout foliage, low res environment assets are a constant eye sore. Also the underlying techs used in DC is overall far superior admittedly thanks to the 30fps budget. If we compare them in their best, GT really doesn't begin to come close especially in motion. The asset quality in DC is far higher.
1478190766-driveclub-lpsdn.png
1448707517-driveclub-e0sfm.png
actmwfb89snq.jpg

The volumetric lighting, cloud, dynamic weather, self shadowing POM, more complex SSR and motion blur that GTS could ever dream of having at 60fps.
1476795842-driveclub-oksn4.png

1476795846-driveclub-mwsz5.png

1461160947-driveclub-dkshx.png

1449309723-driveclub-3zsqk.png

i would not say it wins everywhere, IQ is below, textures...it's hard to tell, but then it's half the framerate !
But it still holds up well today.
it clearly wins in folliage density and detail though.
and the car seems more grounded in the environment. And screen space relfections are a huge advantage too i think,

Texture is also a major win, there's no other racers out there that does self shadowing POM. Texture variety is also better and appear to be higher res to me.

FH4 looks better than both.
Only in IQ, scale and maybe foliage. DC still has better dynamic GI, volumetric lighting, volumetric cloud, self shadowing POM and of course weather. For a launch title without the Pro enhancement it's quite phenomenal.

Back