PUBG - PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds [XO, PS4]

Wanna try pubg pc but it's not free and no free demo. I'm curious how can it get so many attention ad players. Surely it must be a fun game but I gotta try it myself. Watching streams only shows me it's boringness

Wanna try pubg pc but it's not free and no free demo. I'm curious how can it get so many attention ad players. Surely it must be a fun game but I gotta try it myself. Watching streams only shows me it's boringness

It's a high skill curve game. It has poor performance, and poor graphics. It's very much a suspense game when you first start playing, but eventually you'll find yourself losing the adrenaline and just going for an action play style. It can be hit or miss in terms of bad games and good games. There is a little too much randomness in terms of luck of loot, luck of the circle to make winning a purely skill-based result.

It's also a very twitch and stream friendly game, which has helped the game immensely. Shroud and Dr Disrespect are probably the best advertising the game has had.

It's a high skill curve game. It has poor performance, and poor graphics. It's very much a suspense game when you first start playing, but eventually you'll find yourself losing the adrenaline and just going for an action play style. It can be hit or miss in terms of bad games and good games. There is a little too much randomness in terms of luck of loot, luck of the circle to make winning a purely skill-based result.

It's also a very twitch and stream friendly game, which has helped the game immensely. Shroud and Dr Disrespect are probably the best advertising the game has had.

It looks boring. Maybe when there's free pubg weekend or something in steam I can try it myself.

To me, pubg looks like big CoD multiplayer. And for me cod is boring. I prefer the grand epic moments and crazy exploitation of environments in battlefield series, especially rush mode (where you progressively funneled into places on a map).

Agh gotta wait for free weekend promos.

That was my impressions from playing the mobile version and watching pc streams. The encounter is so fast paced. But with big "nothingness/pause" between encounters.. Hence my feeling it's like big CoD.

I almost never play battlefield as pure infantry so it's hard for me to think of it like cod. Even when I play as infantry, I usually exploit the destruction to win the objective, instead of shooting people .

yea well ;) these guys are playing in the high 90s FPS. I could only wish we could do that on xbox. it's insane how janky the game still feels even on PC.

That was my impressions from playing the mobile version and watching pc streams. The encounter is so fast paced. But with big "nothingness/pause" between encounters.. Hence my feeling it's like big CoD.
The fundamental mechanics are the same. The main difference is you don't respawn and can only win by never getting killed, unlike COD et al where you can win by dying lots but winning objectives etc. So the desire to survive adds a considerable degree of pressure and excitement. When you meet someone in a normal shooter, you hop about a bit shooting until one of you ends up dead. If that's you, you grumble a bit and get out there again. In a BR game, when you see someone, if you're a normal player and not any good, your heart jumps into your throat, you scream like a little girl, you struggle to decide whether to run away or confront them, and then the rest is a blur and maybe you come out the other side the winner and you feel glorious. Or so I've been told.

You also have situations like hiding in a house and hearing someone walking around outside. You're playing the game not moving, hoping you can hear them walking away and know you've got the drop on them. Like the game Thief.

It might not click with you if you don't have the same visceral response. I know kids who've been huge Fortnite fans who have gotten bored of it now too, so it might be a bit of a flash in the pan as the emotions are new, but bodies will adapt. However, you can't appreciate the feeling of the game by watching videos. Kinda like the game Thief. Crouching in a dark corner in that game is very exciting, but watching someone on a stream sitting still for 3 minutes probably isn't...

You also start with no weapons in PUBG, as opposed to something like COD. You must scrounge nearby buildings for anything.

You also start with no weapons in PUBG, as opposed to something like COD. You must scrounge nearby buildings for anything.

That's made even more nerve racking when you see the parachutes of other players around you going after the same general area. :) Especially when you thought you were being clever and going to a location other people usually don't go to.

Regards,
SB

The fundamental mechanics are the same. The main difference is you don't respawn and can only win by never getting killed, unlike COD et al where you can win by dying lots but winning objectives etc. So the desire to survive adds a considerable degree of pressure and excitement. When you meet someone in a normal shooter, you hop about a bit shooting until one of you ends up dead. If that's you, you grumble a bit and get out there again. In a BR game, when you see someone, if you're a normal player and not any good, your heart jumps into your throat, you scream like a little girl, you struggle to decide whether to run away or confront them, and then the rest is a blur and maybe you come out the other side the winner and you feel glorious. Or so I've been told.

You also have situations like hiding in a house and hearing someone walking around outside. You're playing the game not moving, hoping you can hear them walking away and know you've got the drop on them. Like the game Thief.

It might not click with you if you don't have the same visceral response. I know kids who've been huge Fortnite fans who have gotten bored of it now too, so it might be a bit of a flash in the pan as the emotions are new, but bodies will adapt. However, you can't appreciate the feeling of the game by watching videos. Kinda like the game Thief. Crouching in a dark corner in that game is very exciting, but watching someone on a stream sitting still for 3 minutes probably isn't...

yeah, it was like cod "survival mode" or whatever the name was, its a mode where there was no respawn, and weapons need to be gathered by exploring the map.

the "suspense" is even higher when coupled with "no map" mode. and as there are only small amount of players with only 2 teams, it was a huge adrenaline rush when spectating teams that only have 1 player left each. then the round ends, and we fights the same team/players again, time to exact revenge!

but in cod, the suspense was pretty quick to get due to its much smaller map size. no boring "nothingness" moments like in pubg mobile and fortnite.

It doesn’t matter because by the end of this year, BF is going to be a mode for both Battlefield and COD.

hopefully DICE will properly remix the mode, complete with destructions and vehicles. So it will be like RUSH MODE but instead of being funnelled from one MCOM to another, you are funneled by the "map safe zone".

Consodernig the success of Fortnite and the negative press around PUBG I see, I wonder how it'll do.

It should do well, as PUBG and Fortnite, while superficially similar have a radically different appeal. Whimsical presentation and gameplay combined with in your face loot box effects (the loot crate explosion in game) versus a more realistic presentation and an attempt at modeling realistic effects (weapons, ammo, ballistic velocity, etc.) with random but not outrageous loot placement and weapon modifications.

Many people like one or the other, but not both. And while most people prefer Fortnite style BR, there's a significant number of people that prefer PUBG style BR.

That said, a lot depends on, as Xbat mentioned, how much BLOPS 4 appeals to the PUBG player base.

Regards,
SB

Back