New rendering technologies for Unity (teaser video included)

:oops:But at what resolution? The YT feed looks blurry so I hope it's just the video compression and not rendering at native 720p. Then she did say done with the same assets and same visual quality, so there's hope it's at least 1080p native.

:oops:But at what resolution? The YT feed looks blurry so I hope it's just the video compression and not rendering at native 720p. Then she did say done with the same assets and same visual quality, so there's hope it's at least 1080p native.
1080P @ 30FPS with Temporal AA.

They're talking about Burst Compiler right now ... This sounds very very cool. Custom performance-driver compiler for Unity. It will only compile Unity projects, but for multiple platforms.

Compiles their own "High Performance" C#, which is a subset of C# that removes a lot of C# things like classes, garbage collection.

You can actually view all of the code-gen from the compiler in a performance tool. Very cool.

Last edited:
Burst compiler allows you to specify precision and determinism. Mike Acton and Andreas Fredriksson are impressing me greatly.

This talk is incredibly good. I wish I'd had someone give me this talk almost 20 years ago, when I was first learning programming.

Last edited:
1080P @ 30FPS with Temporal AA.
That's pretty impressive indeed! So 1440p on 1X at least which would give a roughly 4k native res for next gen consoles I believe. Tho if going CBR we could see enough room left for adding in game logics and NPCs etc.

They're talking about Burst Compiler right now ... This sounds very very cool. Custom performance-driver compiler for Unity. It will only compile Unity projects, but for multiple platforms.

Compiles their own "High Performance" C#, which is a subset of C# that removes a lot of C# things like classes, garbage collection.

You can actually view all of the code-gen from the compiler in a performance tool. Very cool.
The video doesn't play for me. But that sounds soooo very interesting.... Talking of which, I purchased a book as my birthday gift back in November, called Unity 2017 Game Optimization Second Edition, and while I didn't read it yet 'cos of lack of time, from the sinopsis I think I could grasp that the book teaches you how to use think like the Unsafe tag in C#, with which you can use "forbidden" areas of memory and something similar to pointers.
Burst compiler allows you to specify precision and determinism. Mike Acton and Andreas Fredriksson are impressing me greatly.

This talk is incredibly good. I wish I'd had someone give me this talk almost 20 years ago, when I was first learning programming.
As I said I can't find it, the video is not working. You are a lucky guy. Wish I had the chance to learn a bit of programming back then. Maybe it wasn't the time, I was so young, but where I live I studied administrative -it was either that or electronics- although my dream was always computer science.

Most of what I did back then was playing around with batch files like autoexec.bat -to give you an idea- or hacking games like Doom and Need for Speed 3 myself using Notepad. If by hacking you mean changing parameters of the game and everything worked fine, just that I cheated.

My cordial greetings.

I like how they're basically rewriting the whole engine under this new paradigm.

The video doesn't play for me. But that sounds soooo very interesting.... Talking of which, I purchased a book as my birthday gift back in November, called Unity 2017 Game Optimization Second Edition, and while I didn't read it yet 'cos of lack of time, from the sinopsis I think I could grasp that the book teaches you how to use think like the Unsafe tag in C#, with which you can use "forbidden" areas of memory and something similar to pointers.
As I said I can't find it, the video is not working. You are a lucky guy. Wish I had the chance to learn a bit of programming back then. Maybe it wasn't the time, I was so young, but where I live I studied administrative -it was either that or electronics- although my dream was always computer science.

Most of what I did back then was playing around with batch files like autoexec.bat -to give you an idea- or hacking games like Doom and Need for Speed 3 myself using Notepad. If by hacking you mean changing parameters of the game and everything worked fine, just that I cheated.

My cordial greetings.
It was a live stream, that's why it no longer works. I'm sure this week's talks will be uploaded to their channel at some point. In the meantime you can watch an overview of the new system:

There's also a subforum dedicated entirely to this:

https://forum.unity.com/forums/entity-component-system-and-c-job-system.147/

You can download the 2018.1 beta too and experiment with it.

I like how they're basically rewriting the whole engine under this new paradigm.

It was a live stream, that's why it no longer works. I'm sure this week's talks will be uploaded to their channel at some point. In the meantime you can watch an overview of the new system:

There's also a subforum dedicated entirely to this:

https://forum.unity.com/forums/entity-component-system-and-c-job-system.147/

You can download the 2018.1 beta too and experiment with it.
Thanks for sharing! I am still half an hour into the video but the approach they use with serialization and structs...sound quite interesting! I wonder if they use .NET Core or .NET Native, but maybe I shall find out when I watch the entire video. I also wonder if they use the Unsafe tag..., and if the Unity book I purchased for my birthday talks about the same techniques or others..

In addition, I've tried to find the video @Scott_Arm was talking about, but I didn't manage to find it after searching. Maybe they are going to publish it soon.

Thanks for sharing! I am still half an hour into the video but the approach they use with serialization and structs...sound quite interesting! I wonder if they use .NET Core or .NET Native, but maybe I shall find out when I watch the entire video. I also wonder if they use the Unsafe tag..., and if the Unity book I purchased for my birthday talks about the same techniques or others..

In addition, I've tried to find the video @Scott_Arm was talking about, but I didn't manage to find it after searching. Maybe they are going to publish it soon.
I posted a link to those videos here:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2025153/

More on Kinematica:

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/06/20/announcing-kinematica-animation-meets-machine-learning/

"We set out to create a radically different animation system — one that provides motion synthesis that wouldn’t need to rely on any of these superimposed structures like graphs or blend trees. This technology could remove manual labor and free up animators to focus on what they love: creating beautiful artwork.

At the Unite Berlin 2018 keynote this week, we announced Kinematica — a brand-new experimental package coming to Unity later this year, developed by Unity Labs.

Unlike traditional systems, Kinematica retains everything in a single library, and it decides — automatically and in real-time how to combine tiny fragments from that library into a sequence that matches the controller input, the environmental context, and any gameplay requests.

Animation quality was a key pillar when designing this system, so we never alter the original animations or quality of the input data that you as an animator provide. And remember, you still get to decide (based on your own game design) what the animations of your characters are. You even have the power to tweak how the animations interact with the environment.

It’s crucial for systems like this to be able to scale. So, to push and ‘stress test’ the technology, we decided to try it with mocap data — usually the largest and most unstructured animation data you could use. We rented out a mocap studio, hired a stuntman specializing in parkour, and let him run around the gym for a few hours. This resulted in 70,000 poses and over 45 minutes of animation data — and Kinematica successfully created smooth, dynamic animations using this data.

The benefits of this system include a higher-quality, polished look; versatility because numerous variations can be determined from the same data set; and of course, not having to manually map out any animation graphs — meaning you can iterate faster and focus on your art."

More info on the comments:

"Kinematica will indeed feature a full body inverse kinematics system that can be used to procedurally modify the generated animation frames, similar to the talk that you linked in your comment.

Kinematica supports motion captured animation data as well as handcrafted animation clips.

Kinematica is not Motion Matching and has been built from the ground up to be able to support any kind of movement – not just locomotion. We already demonstrated Parkour with stable and precise environment contacts. Stay tuned for more demos coming later this summer where we will be showing a full climbing system, melee combat and physically simulated characters.

Also, just searching for matching poses in a brute-force fashion at runtime does not scale and would be prohibitively expensive. Kinematica executes in a fraction of a millisecond regardless of the amount of animation data."

WRT animation in unity,
they don't even allow you to say what the next animation clip is (so you can blend between the current and the next in X seconds)
Its not that hard to do coding wise (just a simple lerp of the skeleton will do), so WTF don't they allow this? Pure incompetence.
Don't get me started on the Unity help, its worse than useless as often I waste time in google going 'unity how to do X' then see a link to some unity help page, I go to myself, zed dont click it it will tell you nothing, often I can't stop myself, I say this time it will actually be useful so I click only for my hopes to be shattered

WRT animation in unity,
they don't even allow you to say what the next animation clip is (so you can blend between the current and the next in X seconds)
Its not that hard to do coding wise (just a simple lerp of the skeleton will do), so WTF don't they allow this? Pure incompetence.
Don't get me started on the Unity help, its worse than useless as often I waste time in google going 'unity how to do X' then see a link to some unity help page, I go to myself, zed dont click it it will tell you nothing, often I can't stop myself, I say this time it will actually be useful so I click only for my hopes to be shattered
I haven't touched Unity's animation system but I think maybe this is what you want: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Playables.html

WRT animation in unity,

This is not even remotely close to being true? And you don't even need playables to do this (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Animator.CrossFade.html)!

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/07/10/2018-2-is-now-available/

Lots of stuff in this release.

@zed is going to like this:

C# Animation Jobs
AnimationPlayables now allow users to write their own C# Playables to interact directly with animation data.

Users can also write multithreaded C# code to control the AnimationStream data used by the PlayableGraph, which also allows integration of user-made IK solvers, procedural animation, or even custom mixers into the current animation system.

This is pretty cool too:

Back