Internet connections, data usage, and public WIFI *spawn*

ISDN is really old tech and Broadband is a generic term, I think you mean ADSL?

From recollection ISDN does have better latency than ADSL but I got much newer tech GPON fibre, its capable of Gigabit (& I can upgrade to that for relatively small extra with same gear), minimal distance fall-off and gives definitely much better ping than ADSL did.
Getting ~30ms to local sites, 3-4ms to one popular local site even :oops: (and this is peak)
ADSL was ~60-65ms min.

Perhaps we should split this stuff out to a separate Broadband thread?

See, you're even using the term "broadband". You ARE a time traveler... that or you just escaped from a fallout shelter.

To be fair
Davros_Wisher.png

So he has an excuse I guess...

Just had a look youtube 90 minute film at 720p is ~500MB. So one could watch 100 films in a month, though I watch between 500-700 films in a year (apart from one tv show, the last TV series I watched was x files from the 90s, breaking bad, sopranos etc never seen them).
Just listened to a podcast yesterday, they were talking about the early days of the web & video's a 10 minute postage sized clip was ~100MB (now I think about it, yeah thats about like what it was, a minute of shitty quality was like 10MB)
I just downloaded 2 720p movies from youtube.
File sizes = ~430MB & ~460MB
Film compression rates must of improved at least an order of magnitude. yet now which less bandwidth caps, faster internet etc, file size aint as important as it was then

Film compression rates must of improved at least an order of magnitude.
Yes I've seen talk of 2 OoM even, depending on what you take as original rate.
Comes at the expense of higher computation needs but we have dedicated GPU units/shader assist which do that quite efficiently.

@Cyan I ran across this and thought you, and others, could benefit from it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/manage-windows-endpoints and also https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ating-system-components-to-microsoft-services

This article lists different endpoints that are available on a clean installation of Windows 10, version 1709 and later. Details about the different ways to control traffic to these endpoints are covered in Manage connections from Windows operating system components to Microsoft services. Where applicable, each endpoint covered in this topic includes a link to specific details about how to control traffic to it.

@Cyan I ran across this and thought you, and others, could benefit from it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/manage-windows-endpoints and also https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ating-system-components-to-microsoft-services

This article lists different endpoints that are available on a clean installation of Windows 10, version 1709 and later. Details about the different ways to control traffic to these endpoints are covered in Manage connections from Windows operating system components to Microsoft services. Where applicable, each endpoint covered in this topic includes a link to specific details about how to control traffic to it.

Those links are for the Enterprise version of Windows 10. Additional endpoints for non-Enterprise versions of Windows.

Win10 1709 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/windows-endpoints-1709-non-enterprise-editions
Win10 1803 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/windows-endpoints-1803-non-enterprise-editions

Regards,
SB

Recently got my Comcast bill and as expected they did not adjust the amount for 3 days outage due to the recent hurricane. I contacted the rep online and received credit for the 3 days, so depending on your monthly bill and number of days without internet/cable/phone it can be a substantial refund.

Remember you need to contact Comcast as they will not apply the credit automatically.

Last edited:
Just got around to looking at my data usage: this year we've averaged a bit over 1.6TB/mth.

Thats bigger than it might otherwise be due to Covid lockdowns, though last few mths of last year were over 1.2TB except Xmas period.

Looking at plan options my ISP is currently offering 12mths 900/400Mbit at the same rate as I'm paying currently, kinda crazy :runaway:
Oh and the Wholesaler is starting to roll out symmetrical 2,4 & even 8Gigabit options :oops:
Though at prices I'm not willing to pay & I really don't have any complaints about 100/20Mbit.

Why ISP are so scummy like that. Doesn't they already know in their system when user's Internet are down?
They knew because most of the Eastern United States and some locations in the West were out for days.
I'll be interested to see what changes are made with their SKY merger. People on the "other side of the pond" are likely to be less forgiving! :yes:

What Malo said, I've encountered very few corporations/large companies that seem to really care about their customers over their bottom line. The few that do I tend to stick with.

That being said, Comcast is what Comcast is and for me it's the only decent offering in our area. I can either get AT&T which guarantees a whopping 25gps download and 5gps up, or I can go with Comcast and pay a bit more but get 950gbps down and 42gbps up.

I recently found out about a new deal/package that ended up tripling my internet speed, taking away my data cap, and saving me $50/mos. Everyone I know tells me horror stories about dealing with Comcast, but they been great in my experience. The only trouble I sometimes have is when I first call, if I don't get a knowledgeable tech person I just ask them to send me to level 2 support and it all gets better fast. (I'm nice about it, not "LEMME TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR!" but rather "could you please transfer me to level 2? I've done all the checklist stuff and worked with PCs for a while so it'd probably be easier" and they're always nice about it and in some cases relieved. (A lot of the times they don't even understand my questions, so it's a good thing all around)

I always call at least once a year now just to check packages and deals. It's a bit of a pain, but it always seems to up my service a bit or drop my bill. I think the biggest trick is having worked phone support before I know what it's like to be on the other end so I try my damnedest not to be one of those customers and I think they appreciate it.

I think we're paying about $200/mos now. That's for internet, house phone, and cable. We don't have any actual cable boxes in the house, we just stream it through a browser. I like TV better that way I've found. Sort of nice, haven't had basic cable service in years but we needed to get it as part of the package. It's neat having live news again and history channels with actual history stuff!

Doesn't they already know in their system when user's Internet are down?
Dunno about Comcast but at the local ISP I used to work for we might give a bulk credit for a regional outage but at local level how do we tell you're offline because of something our side or because you unplugged the modem to do vaccuming?

Dunno about Comcast but at the local ISP I used to work for we might give a bulk credit for a regional outage but at local level how do we tell you're offline because of something our side or because you unplugged the modem to do vaccuming?

Dunno how network nowadays work, in adsl era, ISP can see if a local "group" is offline.

At least that was from the web panel in a government owned ISP I managed to access years ago. Really handy to force ISP to fix their network and stop them telling me it's on my end (restart modem, etc)

Back