Anthem

Game looks great but now its time to see all the systems and how they plan to make this a good game instead of another destiny

Game looks great but now its time to see all the systems and how they plan to make this a good game instead of another destiny
Yup, the Destiny is strong with this one. And I liked Destiny 2 for three weeks, and then I was done with it forever. So I guess it remains to be seen if Anthem can improve on that.

Yup, the Destiny is strong with this one. And I liked Destiny 2 for three weeks, and then I was done with it forever. So I guess it remains to be seen if Anthem can improve on that.
I'm hoping with biowares past they can bring some good story rpg elements to it. I am deciding between this and division 2 as the next group game I play.

I'm hoping with biowares past they can bring some good story rpg elements to it. I am deciding between this and division 2 as the next group game I play.
I’m with you on the hope that BioWare can give this a depth or flavour that encourages continued play, or at least makes the initial run more fulfilling. The Division 2 simply isn’t my setting, I prefer recreative ecapism into "fantasy" rather than into "more reality". :)

What? It gets worse in the sequels?

Much much worse. Dragon Age 2 was genuinely horrible. Repetitive area, repetitive low detail textures, repetitive everything. Incredibly dumbed down gameplay compared to the first game. Someone I know once told me that if you can get past the bad gameplay, the bad level design, the bad everything, that there's a somewhat decent story buried under all the filth. I could never get to the point of wanting to subject myself to that amount of torture in order to do it.

Especially after how brilliant DAO was. DAO and ME1 were the last Bioware titles spearheaded by the founders (who were all table top RPG nerds with one of them being a long time DM) of the company. After that it was basically EA perverting and destroying everything good about Bioware.

The instantly went from maestros of the RPG genre to a shooter franchise (ME was RPG, ME2 and beyond were shooters) and action franchise (DAO was a brilliant RPG, DA2 was some kind of horrible action piece of shite and the last DAO tried to be an action MMORPG without the Massively Multiplayer part of MMO or the RPG).

Ugh. Must stop ranting. But it still hurts even now to remember how good Bioware used to be at making RPGs and what EA turned them into.

Regards,
SB

Much much worse. Dragon Age 2 was genuinely horrible. Repetitive area, repetitive low detail textures, repetitive everything. Incredibly dumbed down gameplay compared to the first game. Someone I know once told me that if you can get past the bad gameplay, the bad level design, the bad everything, that there's a somewhat decent story buried under all the filth. I could never get to the point of wanting to subject myself to that amount of torture in order to do it.

Especially after how brilliant DAO was. DAO and ME1 were the last Bioware titles spearheaded by the founders (who were all table top RPG nerds with one of them being a long time DM) of the company. After that it was basically EA perverting and destroying everything good about Bioware.

The instantly went from maestros of the RPG genre to a shooter franchise (ME was RPG, ME2 and beyond were shooters) and action franchise (DAO was a brilliant RPG, DA2 was some kind of horrible action piece of shite and the last DAO tried to be an action MMORPG without the Massively Multiplayer part of MMO or the RPG).

Ugh. Must stop ranting. But it still hurts even now to remember how good Bioware used to be at making RPGs and what EA turned them into.

Regards,
SB
:-O

That sounds horrible, indeed! I hoped I would enjoy the sequels and that I would find improvements in graphics, etc.

That sounds horrible, indeed! I hoped I would enjoy the sequels and that I would find improvements in graphics, etc.
Well, I’m not quite as bitter as Silent_Buddha regarding BioWare, but I must give him right in what he says. The studio has gravitated towards the more streamlined, more entertaining (focus on shooting stuff) and more polished. Is this worse? Not necessarily, but it is one heck of a lot more mainstream and less unique. At the same time their titles have gotten more cinematically self-indulgent, long cutscenes giving you the story (as opposed to unraveling it yourself), long monologues in the dialogues with NPCs that ultimately end in choices that have little consequence and so on. Long enough that I in their latest offering walked away from the computer and made coffee while the game played with itself, or quick-tabbed through the interminable droning dialogue to end up at the end of the tree, pick a choice, and finally get back to, you know, playing the game.
The damn thing, and which could move a man of more testoterone than me to a rage is that you know that they are capable of better. There are hints and glimpses of greatness, there is lore that could have been used for something complex and interesting. It’s not that the later games are crap on the overall scale, it’s that they are not as good as their fans hoped they would be and that the greater budgets were spent streamlining and polishing the easily sellable parts.
They sold their soul.

Last edited:
Well, I’m not quite as bitter as Silent_Buddha regarding BioWare, but I must give him right in what he says. The studio has gravitated towards the more streamlined, more entertaining (focus on shooting stuff) and more polished. Is this worse? Not necessarily, but it is one heck of a lot more mainstream and less unique. At the same time their titles have gotten more cinematically self-indulgent, long cutscenes giving you the story (as opposed to unraveling it yourself), long monologues in the dialogues with NPCs that ultimately end in choices that have little consequence and so on. Long enough that I in their latest offering walked away from the computer and made coffee while the game played with itself, or quick-tabbed through the interminable droning dialogue to end up at the end of the tree, pick a choice, and finally get back to, you know, playing the game.
The damn thing, and which could move a man of more testoterone than me to a rage is that you know that they are capable of better. There are hints and glimpses of greatness, there is lore that could have been used for something complex and interesting. It’s not that the later games are crap on the overall scale, it’s that they are not as good as their fans hoped they would be and that the greater budgets were spent streamlining and polishing the easily sellable parts.
They sold their soul.

Yeah, I can totally understand why Shooter fans really liked ME2 and ME3 and didn't like ME1 as much. ME1 was a point and click RPG with a shooter perspective which confused and frustrated Shooter fans.

RPG fans on the other hand loved the fact that ME1 was a true point and click CRPG with a unique point and click perspective and hated when EA basically made Bioware focus on turning it into an almost pure shooter and remove almost all of the CRPG stuff. AAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHH!

Congratulations shooter fans, you got yet another shooter in a sea of shooter games while us RPG fans lost another RPG developer in a dwindling RPG landscape at the time.

Thankfully, due to Kickstarter, we've had a resurgence in extremely high quality RPGs (Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity franchises as a few extremely good examples that rival and in some cases surpass Dragon Age Origins in scope and quality). So I'm a little less bitter, but I still rage a bit when I think about it.

Yeah. But that said, if you really like DAO, you should give Divinity Original Sin (first game was good, 2nd game hit it out of the park) and Pillars of Eternity (first game is good, and the second gets even better). Both of them are similar to DAO.

Regards,
SB

I really liked DA:I, more than DA:O. DA2 is.. a bit off, like ME2 too.

Basically my ratings for the two large IP's go:
ME1 > MEA >> ME3 >>> ME2
DAI > DAO >> DA2

Anyway, awaiting Anthem news. Maybe its the one to make me stop playing MEA multiplayer :D

^Well, I guess I will try and draw my own conclusions, then.

From what I read here, I think I'll have to find a way to somewhat enjoy a dumbed down title. I hope that those aspects that indeed improved can work out for me, but I still think that it's a pity that a rich, complex game (when it is in a good way) is simplified just because.

So from what I am getting from all the BioWare trailers, etc. is that this is pretty much Destiny ... sounds like they are hijacking any kind of single player storyline to turn it into a battle arena, online only game ... is this incorrect? I know I am a relic but I honestly can't stand MP only games ...

I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to put in more crafting after the Monster Hunter World hype.

So from what I am getting from all the BioWare trailers, etc. is that this is pretty much Destiny ... sounds like they are hijacking any kind of single player storyline to turn it into a battle arena, online only game ... is this incorrect? I know I am a relic but I honestly can't stand MP only games ...

Still too little shown. But yeah it feels like it has that Warframe framework (that Destiny hijacked. :p)

Just kidding on that last. Games are all about borrowing or incorporating ideas from other games. So Destiny basically copying a lot of previous games is cool. And Warframe borrowing idea from games that came before it is cool.

I remain optimistic about the game just because I like the Warframe game loop.

Regards,
SB

I hope this game can be played cross platform like Fortnight. Some of my buddies are console noobs* and I'd still like to be able to play with them. Don't see why so many games don't allow that, especially games with no PvP. An option to disallow it is fine if you're on console and don't wanna get owned by real gamers*.

:D

I hope this game can be played cross platform like Fortnight. Some of my buddies are console noobs* and I'd still like to be able to play with them. Don't see why so many games don't allow that, especially games with no PvP. An option to disallow it is fine if you're on console and don't wanna get owned by real gamers*.

:D
unless something changes I expect this to be xbox / pc cross play

Back