Dead or Alive 6 [XO, PS4]

Here's a rather tame example of the concept.

A rather tame and conservative example. Back when Anne Rice's vampire novels were all the rage in the 1990's, stockings that were much closer to those shown in the reveal trailer were still rare but more common than nowadays. A girlfriend I had back then was obsessively into Anne Rice vampire cosplay and used to wear stockings similar to those in the trailer for special occasions.

She may have even had them custom made. Many of the people that were into the "Vampire Lestat Culture" in Los Angeles at the time were also in the garment industry. I lost contact with her years ago so I can't ask her unfortunately.

Regards,
SB
interesting, this discussion could easily get into TMI territory. But interesting nevertheless, I would have figured the ones in the link would have been held up by belts of some sort. But if not, then yea I totally agree with being able to pull off the triangles.

nevertheless, this makes Helena all the more awesome. Al... you in trouble ;)

Characters are not much better-looking than DOA5. Stages so far are small, flat, and boring. Screen is covered with blur, blood, and effluvia. Gameplay is constantly interrupted by slow motion moves. Director added a dedicated beginner button.

I was excited to hear DOA was back. I no longer am after seeing the trailer.

DOA is already the easiest fighting game to do sick combos. With the easy mode button .... Maybe it will be like those stylish mode in blaz blue series?

DOA is already the easiest fighting game to do sick combos. With the easy mode button .... Maybe it will be like those stylish mode in blaz blue series?
to be fair, combo's haven't been important, except to do them when your opponent is airborne or being juggled/bounced. Otherwise you're going to eat a heavy counter from Al

Otherwise you're going to eat a heavy counter from Al

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just so you know, I may or may not jump to PC for this depending on how things go - port quality, DLC plans.

Shame it's not play anywhere. This is the sort of genre that really could use crossplay given the niche population.

Last edited:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just so you know, I may or may not jump to PC for this depending on how things go - port quality, DLC plans.

Shame it's not play anywhere. This is the sort of genre that really could use crossplay given the niche population.
you let me know. i'll be there

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, fighting games are in a unique position where the console versions aren't at a disadvantage versus PC players. IE - best controller is an arcade stick followed by a console controller with a good D-pad and all good fighting games are already 60 FPS which makes them ideal for cross-play and play anywhere.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, at the very least, I would think the folks that care the most about the input latency* & D-pad will be on a particular platform that is best for those, otherwise it's mostly about reaching more players and keeping remaining 99.9% of the community playing together.

*has been shown to be different between platforms in various fighters.

----

I hope they fix their ability to deal with transparencies & DOF in the new renderer. :V

Last edited:
*has be shown to be different between platforms in various fighters.

But so slight nobody would ever notice. The lag time differences when going from one controller to another are actually far more substantial. Also interesting: save for a select few exceptions, the bog standard wireless DS4 actually beat out the insanely pricey arcade sticks when it comes to latency. And even all that is not particularly important. The input latency on the Hori Rap V arcade stick is relatively high for example. That didn't keep Daigo from winning Evo with it.

But so slight nobody would ever notice. The lag time differences when going from one controller to another are actually far more substantial. Also interesting: save for a select few exceptions, the bog standard wireless DS4 actually beat out the insanely pricey arcade sticks when it comes to latency. And even all that is not particularly important. The input latency on the Hori Rap V arcade stick is relatively high for example. That didn't keep Daigo from winning Evo with it.
Not so much the controller, but the engine. It was one of the UE4 games IIRC where the response was significantly different between platforms (might have been fixed in a patch).

But yeah, it's probably not an issue for Team Ninja's internal stuff. I was speaking in general terms regarding the need for crossplay (beyond TN).

Not sure if I'm feeling it here.

Graphics have a long way to go, still looks like DoA 4

Apparently they're only 8% done according to this. It seems like they've ditched the old engine entirely and are rebuilding it from the Dynasty Warriors 9/Musou 8 branch.

Lack of shadow casting sources really hurts that one stage (dominant source only). :| Those models don't look right with the new shader system, so hopefully it's flexible to change ala Hitomi's original DOA5 reveal.

Also, that stage makes no sense with the street folks in front of the cage. o_O They should just bring back DOA3's cage stage (spruced up with objects etc).

Last edited:
Also, that stage makes no sense with the street folks in front of the cage. o_O They should just bring back DOA3's cage stage (spruced up with objects etc).

It's not so much a cage match as it is more a back street alley connected to the back of what looks like maybe a factory or store, complete with loading dock for delivery trucks.

Looks like the fence was probably put up to keep people out of the factory/store property. However, it looks like the factory/store may be out of business, hence all the homeless and other people there.

Regards,
SB

My problem is that there are people shown behind it, and there’s no good reason to have anyone in front of the existing barrier. It also looks janky since they’re so close that their unchanging/static focus is that much more obvious when the fighters go all over the stage.

Still looks way better than whatever Namco's been cooking up with UE4 for the last couple of years. Tekken 7 looked hella dated when it came out. I'm not sure whether I'd even go as far as to say it looked better than TTT2. Same with Soul Calibur VI. SFV looks a bit underwhelming as well, but at least I really like the art in that game. Technically they all look a bit shit compared to Netherealms UE3 offerings. Unfortunately Netherealm games look like complete amateur hour the moment things begin to move. This gen hasn't really treated fighting games particularly well in terms of graphics.

The stage is a direct descendant of Tekken 4's, complete with onlookers you can knock the opponent into.

One issue I have with the lighting as it is right now is that the fighters can sometimes be hard to make out. See 10:24 and 11:34 in the match video; this looks dramatic, but may not be great for gameplay.

5Nv0ZZV.jpg

Last edited:
The stage is a direct descendant of Tekken 4's, complete with onlookers you can knock the opponent into.

One issue I have with the lighting as it is right now is that the fighters can sometimes be hard to make out. See 10:24 and 11:34 in the match video; this looks dramatic, but may not be great for gameplay.

5Nv0ZZV.jpg

reminded me of this

i was floored at the time, was such a step up over PS1

I know it's mostly the developers art-style and art-direction, but games like Dead or Alive, Tekken, and even Soul Calibur, look outdated technologically, even when using the latest Unreal Engine. From NPCs standing around with those annoying looping animation, to the artistic styles and designs of the playable characters looking stale (or completely meh!). Example: look at the overall quality (i.e., shaders, lightning, shadowing, geometry, physics, animation, etc.) and aesthetics presented in Injustice 2 characters and scenery, when compared to the first game Injustice: Gods Among Us. With Dead or Alive, Tekken and Soul Calibur, it looks more of same... nothing graphically (or animation wise) that stands out.

Back