The story of the nvidia shills

What year are they talking about?

I'm not sure how you missed it, but yes there were people who were being paid by nVidia on various forums during that time. No sizable forum was immune from this at that time.

Yeah it's an interesting trip down memory lane of Nvidias not so ethical moments.

Wrt jupiter I think he works for robertsspaceindustries not nvidia
I don't think you should kick that hornet's nest because we all know you are a high priest in the pc gaming world church.

crazy stuff tottentranz, i think ive ran into those types on reddit before where someone asks a fairly specific question about computer monitors in r/monitors and 2 people chime in with very similar posts plugging alienware monitors, it wasnt really even relevant to the question asked. they were like, yea yea yea thats a good question, i like this alienware model xyz or whatever and linked a blog post about it.

what would stop nvidia from doing the same for enthusiast forums?

Generally the work place culture. Even if a company or division is a-moral, they might never get the idea of such a scheme or know how of how to do it without getting caught ... just a question of the wrong people with the wrong know how in the wrong places.

It's a ton of work though, much easier to have sockpuppet accounts on reddit than try to have accounts with a posting history on a couple dozen enthusiast sites. Doesn't seem worth the effort ... easier to just buy the people who run the sites.

It's a ton of work though, much easier to have sockpuppet accounts on reddit than try to have accounts with a posting history on a couple dozen enthusiast sites. Doesn't seem worth the effort ... easier to just buy the people who run the sites.

If you check the documentary, you'll see that what the "shilling company" is offering is shilling from accounts with hundreds/thousands of posts, so they won't be identified as sockpuppet accounts.

It's not that hard, really. Just spend a couple of hours per week making random posts about random subjects, and after 2 weeks you're ready to sign an NDA and get some bucks with shilling.

I tried to be an ati shill (sort of) but Dave Bauman didnt see the brilliance of my idea
The "Radeon Terrabyte of Gaming Goodness" edition
a graphics card with a 1tb hdd (this was back when they were about £40)
everything you need to have your own terrabyte of gaming goodness.
Just put a picture of me on the box and you would have had an instant best seller...

Back