Movie Reviews 2.0

Well I think, all that should happen from 'the being' created at the end of Guardians 2, but I dont know if they're saving them for a Guardians 3 movie instead of IW Wrapup.

Saw A Quiet Place.

While I didn't think it was quite the magnificent horror movie game changer (it was a little too easy to poke all sorts of holes into the film's logic for that), it was still a fantastic creature feature elevated by amazing performances. It was tense as hell and the creature-centric set pieces were all fantastic.

Saw A Quiet Place.

While I didn't think it was quite the magnificent horror movie game changer (it was a little too easy to poke all sorts of holes into the film's logic for that), it was still a fantastic creature feature elevated by amazing performances. It was tense as hell and the creature-centric set pieces were all fantastic.
I wanted to see this at the cinema however the local ones have horrible sound bleed in really quiet scenes from adjacent movies. Given how quiet this movie is apparently, I didn't want to get frustrated.

Saw A Quiet Place.

I loved it and the rest of the audience as well. Quite some people clapped at the end of it!

Saw A Quiet Place.

I saw that a few weeks ago. It was pretty good, though I found it a bit formulaic and button-pressy. Maybe that's the horror genre? I've not seen many.

That said it was well made and the acting was very good.

Prometheus (Alien). A good movie, IMO. I like how the story was expanded and I expect to see the sequel of this prequel soon.

BTW, Welyand's makeup was horrible! It's even more jarring than seeing bad CGI, in a sense... In fact, sometimes I thought it was CGI. It was very obvious that it was a young actor playing an old man, both in the makeup (instead of a normal old man, it seemed an old man affected by a strange illness, or maybe a different species, such as an alien, duh) and in the movements (fake rigidness...). It didn't match the rest of the movie and effects.

The Evil Within. Meh. Not scary. I think the most notable thing is the performance by the main actor, who had to play the role of a retarded boy. This guy has nightmares, where he's being tormented by a demon, who now wants to control him when he's awake and asks him to do horrible things.

This movie SENDS THE HORRIBLE MESSAGE that retarded people are potentially dangerous (uhm, serial killers), no matter how you look at it (there's no way to know if the demon truly exists or if it's a "natural" consequence of the mental illness of the character), and that left me disgusted and angry. I don't recommend it at all.

They said they’re saving him for GOTG3 which is weird.
This is my thinking

No one is dead , they are all in the soul Gem including Wanda . Dr Strange said he would never sacrifice the gem to save another person which means the future that he saw them win in , had him taken and tony saved. Tony and those who survive will battle with Thanos in the real world while Wanda and those in the gem fight to break free of it, once they break free of it they will destroy the gauntlet and perhaps use one made from the mold to bring back everyone else. Adam Strange I would assume is Peters sons and that is why he is being saved for GOTG3 , it was brought up that the girl wanted his genetic code. So I bet they stole it and used it to form Adam

Dragonslayer, a fantasy movie from the 80s. It's not a well-known classic, but it wasn't bad. I didn't know this movie existed, BTW.

Dragonslayer, a fantasy movie from the 80s. It's not a well-known classic, but it wasn't bad. I didn't know this movie existed, BTW.
You reminded me that I saw this, and reading Ebert's review (He liked it) reminded me of more. IIRC the girl from the village was a cutie*. But I might be thinking of another film.
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/dragonslayer-1981
*I just checked, and my memory was reasonably close: https://deecrowseer.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/dragonslay-cc01.jpg
Looks a bit like Kate Jackson back in the time of Charlie's Angels.
Edit: lol, I think that pic has her in her implausible disguise as a boy (so as to avoid getting chosen as an offering to the dragon, who wanted virgin girls). IIRC she later ditches that.

Last edited:
Yesterday was the turn for Ladyhawke. I knew the movie, but I never watched it. I liked it, even though I think that using electronic music in a period movie is horrendous.

Transformers The Last Knight.
Boy, what a mess. The film begins during the time of King Arthur and his roundtable knights. They're super effective warriors because they enlisted the help of a bunch of retro transformers who crashlanded on earth. Transformers are a formidable opponent for a 21st century military force, so image how fucked king Arthur's enemies were way back when. The mcguffin of the hour is Merlin's magic alien staff this time. It controls a metal dragon with three heads. In the present everyone hates the Transformers now for some reason, so the whole funky auto-bunch is hiding out in a scrapyard under the watchful eye of an exquisitely chiseled Marky Mark. There's also an antzy black guy and a plucky Latina kid mechanic. Neither of the two are ever relevant to anything but the film's protracted running time. Same with the Decepticons really. Don't quote me on this, but I believe they never accomplish anything. As is the series' tradition now, Optimus Prime fucks off into space early on. Is he gonna make a triumphant third act return? - You're gonna find out within the next 3 hours. The hot chick is British this time. She is an English history teacher who thinks the whole roundtable thing is complete gubbins, so of course she turns out to be Merlin's last living heir later on. Oh, the irony of it all. Speaking of British people: Sir! Anthony! Hopkins ! is also here, and I think he's related to Shia Labeouf. He has an ancient robot servant who's a bit of a sociopath. Him and his robo butler are the solitary high points of the film. The military makes a return as well and there's also a sorta paramilitary group who specializes in killing Transformers? The bad guy is an evil Cybertronian lady bot who wants to revive her destroyed homeworld by sucking something out of the earth which would of course destroy it. In order to accomplish that, she needs Merlin's staff. No idea why she needs it. No idea why she can even wield it as the film was rather clear about the fact that the staff could only ever be used by a member of Merlin's own bloodline. Maybe I missed something. The sheer amout of separate factions populating the film make for a very confusing watch.

There are some neat visuals in the film of course. I liked the WW1 tank transformer and the submarine one. Still, I've seen it all 4 times already, and every time it just got more stupid, more confusing, usually longer, yet somehow less and less energetic. The Last Knight feels, above all else, and despite the overbearing amounts of visual and aural stimuli it bombards the audience with, incredibly tired.
I'm not a Bay hater mind you. I unironically enjoyed a whole bunch of his movies, including the first Transformers.

Last edited:
As I said many posts ago, the Transfotmers: The Last Knight is an absolute shit show. I am sorry you and others will never get those 3 hours back.

Really good for what it was even. I doubt it's gonna be a film I'm gonna rewatch, though. It's Marvel's version of the Red Wedding basically. A really long tv episode and it has neither a beginning nor an end. That's all great and certainly got me hyped for whatever's about to come next. It's just not as satisfying to rewatch as standalone movie is.

Except the Red Wedding was shocking due to the violance and finality of the deaths. The simple ceasing to exist combined with the obvious reset they'll do in the sequel makes the events less impactful.

My point was that it was most definitely dark for the rather light-hearted MCU. Just as the red wedding was very grim for a series where people are dying left and right all the time to begin with.

Back