The Last of Us (Part) 2 [PS4]

Will Sony delay release of The Last Of Us 2 because of CoronaVirus Pandemic?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't be silly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All the graphical and animation upgrades won’t mean jack shit if I spend the bulk of my time playing with tears in my eyes because they killed off Joel. Who sells 17 million units only to kill off the main character in the sequel?

If the beginning of TLOU2 ends up like the end of Old Yeller (edit)...Sigh.

LOL.

Last edited:
I ve been thinking about that last section where she kills off that bad guy with arrows and the sene seemlessly transitions into a "cut" scene (they cant even be called that anymore).
How did they pull that off? What if she knocks out that guy with an obstacle between them like a desk? What if she knows him out with a melee weapon? What if she knocks him out at a weird angle or location?
How does the game adjust into such contextual situations? How would the "cut" scene transition? Looks like a very very advanced work of animation if thats retained in the final product

All the graphical and animation upgrades won’t mean jack shit if I spend the bulk of my time playing with tears in my eyes because they killed off Joel. Who sells 17 million units only to kill off the main character in the sequel?

If the beginning of TLOU2 ends up like the end of Logan...Sigh.

LOL.
Spoiler tags, where are you??!?!

Joel is mentioned in this demo, he is definitely alive. Jesse says something like " Your old man lectured me."
Neil also mentioned in the E3 coliseum that Joel is around.

Now as much as I like Joel as a character I'm pretty sure he turned into a clicker at some point hence the "worse than death" foreshadowing, we'll be seeing flashbacks for sure but he's done for in the present time. Seriously I'll be disappointed if he didn't die to save Ellie or something along the line, this is how you create ballsy drama and one up the first one on an emotional note and I truest ND could pull this off in the right way.

Comparison between actual gameplay between E3 demo vs final version.

Some people talked about the first TLOU, but this is not the most recent example we have about ND.

Based on Uncharted 4, ND even improves the final version when they show real gameplay during E3.

Comparison between actual gameplay between E3 demo vs final version.

Some people talked about the first TLOU, but this is not the most recent example we have about ND.

Based on Uncharted 4, ND even improves the final version when they show real gameplay during E3.
As far as I know, all gameplay demos from ND showed stuff that managed to work as displayed on the final game, except for the TLoU one. That was the outlier.
Graphically too, usually by the point they are showing actual gameplay, the game is already running minimally stable, because the final product never gets downgraded, it actually gets inproved by the time of release.

What happened with the first TLoU is they had things in the demo which they were working on and had a plan on how to execute it systemically for the final game, but a lot of it turned out to be harder to pull off in time for the release. I also bet that nailing those ideas that they had to abandon for the first title was right at the top of their wish-list as soon as they first started talking about a sequel. Not over-promising things which they were not yet sure of yet again also probably was in consideration when they were working on this demo.
So, that said, colour me skeptically optinistic about their ability to execute on ahat they've shown.

As far as I know, all gameplay demos from ND showed stuff that managed to work as displayed on the final game, except for the TLoU one. That was the outlier.
Graphically too, usually by the point they are showing actual gameplay, the game is already running minimally stable, because the final product never gets downgraded, it actually gets inproved by the time of release.

What happened with the first TLoU is they had things in the demo which they were working on and had a plan on how to execute it systemically for the final game, but a lot of it turned out to be harder to pull off in time for the release. I also bet that nailing those ideas that they had to abandon for the first title was right at the top of their wish-list as soon as they first started talking about a sequel. Not over-promising things which they were not yet sure of yet again also probably was in consideration when they were working on this demo.
So, that said, colour me skeptically optinistic about their ability to execute on ahat they've shown.

Yes they wanted to use a Dodge button but they can't make it work

Motion matching will probably be use by Guerrilla Games in next title but many team will use it after the Naugthy dog presentation.

Confirmation by Naughty Dog, they use motion matching:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06...part-2-redesigned-combat-for-playing-as-ellie

Both Newman and Margenau also emphasized the new system that allows character movement to seem more realistic than ever: motion matching.

“It’s this crazy science fiction stuff where you take just hundreds and hundreds of animations of like walking forward and turning or whatever, and you put them in this huge bucket, and then based on what the player is trying to do or what an NPC is trying to do, it pulls from that bucket, sometimes two or three different animations, and blends them together to make this totally seamless thing,” Newman explained.

“The motion matching technique is used by other studios, but we've kind of taken it and put the Naughty Dog spin on it because responsiveness is always a huge thing for us,” Margenau added. “So we've taken it and kind of built on it and made this hybrid thing of the responsiveness and quickness of something like an Uncharted game, which is pre-existing and incorporating this very fluid, very realistic animation that still communicates those real stakes.”

“Previously all the transitions had to be done by hand, so if you slowed down or turned a corner or something, someone had to manually code ‘ok, I'm turning this corner.’ But now this system basically handles the whole thing,” Newman said.

"Honestly, when we flipped the switch on this, we all just gasped,” he continued. “I think, right now, because the whole demo looks so next gen, it's almost kind of lost in the general level of quality. But I think if you look at how Ellie moves and how the NPCs in this game move versus Last of Us 1, it’s wild.”

Edit: Only use by For Honor and UFC for the moment.

Last edited:

Interesting John Bellomy(12 years at ND) from Naughty Dog was on Giant Bomb Nite and he speak from minute 38. He told they are happy of the demo many system are nearly shippable and the system he is working on animation is shippable. He said it is not fake. They are proud and he will take a week of vacation after E3.

He said this time it work really good and they did not need to scrap months of work(UC4?).

Back