Minecraft, Rocket League, Fortnite, etc CrossPlay on every Platform but Sony because...

Seems to be a chicken and egg type situation. If online gaming was always cross play for instance, and a lot of relationships were built with friends through online play (ignoring their console), if we all of a sudden took it away I would be pretty positive there would be huge backlash.

It's just that every ecosystem is isolated from the other, so those relationships have never had the time to form, there's no value since I have not had the chance to make new friends on another platform. So in essence I haven't lost anything.

That's a bit of a misnomer. It's not that gamer's don't care for it, it's that most of them don't care. An important distinction as the poll points out.

34% saw it as a positive thing compared to only 8% viewing it as negative.

While 54% of respondents disagreed with the assertion that crossplay would impact their console purchasing decisions while 13% agreed that it could impact their decision.

The numbers were similar when contemplating whether it would affect their decisions to subscribe to a subscription service. 56% versus 13%.

That increases slightly in favor of crossplay when factoring in software purchases. 48% disagreed while 17% would be more likely to buy a game that featured crossplay.

While it's definitely not in the majority it's also a non-negligible number of players.

I would have been interested to see a breakdown by country. Are the numbers for the UK significantly different from the rest of Europe or do they basically fall in line with other countries with platform preference not factoring in?

Once upon a time Physical versus Digital purchase decisions had a similar ratio of people for or against Digital purchases. But that has been changing consistently year over year.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Switch fortnite cross play with Xbox

damn on point 4. Better read that fine print before you agree to anything.
lol ouch.

e9a1e32b76.png

Last edited:

Hahah, that is some comedy gold. Reading some of the comments, damn, you have to use different e-mails if you want to play Fortnite BR on both the PlayStation 4 and Switch? Ouch. Or is that not true?

If that's true of any game that has cross play on Switch, PC and XBO with a version on PS4 as well, that's going to be a right pain for anyone that has both a Switch and a PS4.

Regards,
SB

Wonder how stuff like division 2 and anthem will handle this ? If you can play xbox , pc and switch for a lot of these games vs only playstation it could really start to affect sony's sales

Not a Fortnite player myself, so let me just get this straight.

So I, as a player play Fortnite on, let's say, the PC primarily. I spend a bunch of money on cosmetic items (as Fortnite players like to do). I then decide to check the game out on my new PS4. So I sign up, link my Fortnite account to the PS4, and from that moment on I'll be unable to ever play Fortnite using that account on the PC again (or indeed any other platform). My purchased items are now forever linked to an account that can only be played on the PS4?

I can't see that ending well for Sony. It doesn't sound like there was sufficient warning given when people linked their accounts and even if there were I wouldn't be surprised to see an anti-trust lawsuit looming.

So I, as a player play Fortnite on, let's say, the PC primarily. I spend a bunch of money on cosmetic items (as Fortnite players like to do). I then decide to check the game out on my new PS4. So I sign up, link my Fortnite account to the PS4, and from that moment on I'll be unable to ever play Fortnite using that account on the PC again (or indeed any other platform). My purchased items are now forever linked to an account that can only be played on the PS4?

I can't see that ending well for Sony. It doesn't sound like there was sufficient warning given when people linked their accounts and even if there were I wouldn't be surprised to see an anti-trust lawsuit looming.

Currently playing on PS4 just locks you out of playing on the XBO and Switch with that account (email), I think.

Playing on Switch only locks you out of being able to play on PS4.

All of this is because that is how Sony wants it.

Regards,
SB

I can't see how that's legal.

Currently playing on PS4 just locks you out of playing on the XBO and Switch with that account (email), I think.

Playing on Switch only locks you out of being able to play on PS4.

All of this is because that is how Sony wants it.

Regards,
SB

Ah, OK. So it only affects what Sony see as competing platforms? I'd still be able to play on PC, iOS etc but I'd be locked out of playing on XBox and Switch. Still pretty dodgy legally I'd have thought.

I can't see how that's legal.

It looks super shadey but consumers do not have the same concept of rights for intangible items (like digital purchases) as for actual goods and nobody ever reads terms and conditions or end user licences.

This is the kind of issue that resolves itself if the body of consumers who feel strongly about this is large enough as many will eventually migrate away. The fact that that issue isn't getting a lot of media coverage in the media and even in the thread, it's only a handful of people who feel strongly, is not the kind of mass industry outrage that needs to occur for Sony to feel pressurised to change it.

To be clear, you buy goods and access on one device, then access those same goods on PlayStation, and lose access to your paid-for goods on the other device? Without any warning even. There's no way this is going to stand, and it'll possibly lead to anti-competitive legislation ensuring cross-ownership of content. The same will happen on mobile too, that content bought for a service on one platform has to be enabled on the same service on the other platform. One hopes, anyway.

If you ever associate your FortNite account with your PS4 account, you will never be able to use that FortNite account on the Switch. You lost your ability to use that account on the switch, regardless of where any purchases happened.

This is so much more than just a CrossPlay issue. It's about account hijacking by Sony.

Back