Resident Evil 2 Remake [XO, PS4, PC]

It's missing the artistic element of the original. Sometimes fans respect better the series than the developers themselves

The assets are really good but it suffers from the same issue that held down RE VII's graphics: pretty much all the lighting is analytical, doesn't seem to support box-projected cubemap reflections. That wastes the PBR and photogrammetry-based assets for the most part.

image.jpeg

Edit: no meed to be so harsh xD.

Last edited:
They changed a lot. Seems like they also knew when to leave things alone, though. The inventory space is still limited, the bullets are scarce, and the zombies are dangerous. More dangerous actually. Looks like a proper RE game to me. And remember: Mikami left almost no stones unturned when he made REmake either: the mansion was changed and drastically expanded upon. New enemies were introduced while the old ones were often placed very differently. Puzzle items were often not where you expected to find them and entirely new puzzle were added. Defense items were introduced. The overall tone was a 100x times darker as well. Just as we're seeing now with the remake of RE2.
No idea what's there to complain about in terms of graphics to be honest. Looks fantastic to me. And how is photogrammetry wasted on REVII. It looks almost photorealistic at times and runs at a buttery smooth 60fps to boot. PT levels of visuals at twice the framerate basically. Good enough for me.

I'm a huge fan of the old games and a glutton for SH games in general, and I'm thrilled by how far beyond the call of duty Capcom is taking this particular remake. I'm super pumped for this game.

Last edited:
Oh, come on. The occasional melody notwithstanding (save rooms and the occasional action sequence), RE has always been very light on music, mostly relying on ambient sounds instead. It's also more than just a little bit ridiculous to judge whatever score this game may or may not end up with based on a demo that's being talked over by a bunch of hype men on a noisy show floor. Heck, even the comparatively noisy RE4 is a mostly silent affair.

It would be nice for this to be in VR as well, although I don't think I could play it. All the gore at the beginning on the trailer almost made me puke watching the stream.. It would be a big NO for me in VR, but it would be good nonetheless to have the option.

Last edited:
That would be sweet. Playing RE7 in vr was the most amazing gaming experience I've had in years. But that was a first person game. RE2 is not.

They changed a lot. Seems like they also knew when to leave things alone, though. The inventory space is still limited, the bullets are scarce, and the zombies are dangerous. More dangerous actually. Looks like a proper RE game to me. And remember: Mikami left almost no stones unturned when he made REmake either: the mansion was changed and drastically expanded upon. New enemies were introduced while the old ones were often placed very differently. Puzzle items were often not where you expected to find them and entirely new puzzle were added. Defense items were introduced. The overall tone was a 100x times darker as well. Just as we're seeing now with the remake of RE2.
No idea what's there to complain about in terms of graphics to be honest. Looks fantastic to me. And how is photogrammetry wasted on REVII. It looks almost photorealistic at times and runs at a buttery smooth 60fps to boot. PT levels of visuals at twice the framerate basically. Good enough for me.

I'm a huge fan of the old games and a glutton for SH games in general, and I'm thrilled by how far beyond the call of duty Capcom is taking this particular remake. I'm super pumped for this game.
Resi 1 Remake kind of enhanced the elements of the original. This one changed them mostly. At least the music and the art needed to be retained a little bit more I think for this one

It's still the same police station. It just has bathroom stalls this time and the lighting is way moodier. Kinda looks more like a police station now to be honest. The item box and the computer are still in the lobby as well. Looks pretty faithful to me. The old PS games were actually really bright considering they were horror games, so going for thicker shadows seems like a sensible choice to me.

We've seen very little of it any way.

What we could have gotten 15 years ago had Capcom not being completely idiotic and released the remakes on the PS2 instead of the Gamecube.

It's still the same police station. It just has bathroom stalls this time and the lighting is way moodier. Kinda looks more like a police station now to be honest. The item box and the computer are still in the lobby as well. Looks pretty faithful to me. The old PS games were actually really bright considering they were horror games, so going for thicker shadows seems like a sensible choice to me.

We've seen very little of it any way.
Maybe you are right. I sure hope so

What we could have gotten 15 years ago had Capcom not being completely idiotic and released the remakes on the PS2 instead of the Gamecube.
Oh so the prerendered backdrops from the old thread were from 0!! Damn. That is like a spoiler for me. I started playing Resi 0 recently

Back