Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

I'm ok with the plot having misteries and non resolved simbolisms...
But I thought we'd be getting a more clear idea of what the gameplay is like by now. I still have no idea.
I now know it's on vast open natural landscapes, well, to some extent... It involves a lot of walking it seems, and carrying cargo... What's in there? Its anyone's guess. What is it for? Is it just the dude's job, or does the cargo serve some other gameplay purpose? Is that the whole game? Is that one aspect? What is the goal? There as a gun... What's the combat like? You seem to sneak around ghosts, but... I really didnt really understand how that works mechanically. He had a tracker clawie thing, but it moved so erratically I don't get exactly how it operates. Then he was killed not by the ghosts, but by an oil pit that opened up instantly right underneath him... And the hand print ghost? Does it play a part? It stepped UNDERNEATH the photograph.
How does this god damn thing work?!?!

My best guess right now is that this has soul like elements in which after you die you are reborn, both from the perspective if the player but also the in-world character. But then your cargo is missing, and maybe you can retrieve it if you get to where you lost it... But it seems there will be a massive explosion that will leave a big ass crater whenever someone dies, as in the 3rd trailer...
So, that's, gameplay? ugh....

the technical director of Guerrilla Games it was not a question of artstyle something was broken into the PBR/lighting engine of the decima engine and he said it will help Horizon 2 too.

Strange because their PBR was one of the best in the industry to me, at least for the clothes.

horizon-character-art-erend-ingame-2.jpg

Yeah, this doesn't look my type of game at all. I was never into Metal Gear but was really enjoying Phantom Pain for the all great combat and stealth gameplay but was eventually put off by all the nutty stuff.

Conspiracy time. Apparently people decoded the cipher on Wagner's necklace as a melody from "Give me an answer" from the group Low Roar.:confused:

Walking around in that beautiful but oh so sterile world will get very, very boring very, very quickly unless they fill it up with people and/or stuff to do.

So far it looks like Ico, but without the cool castle, puzzles and enemies to kill. Which isn’t amazing and I’m sure is totally not what the game is.

I guess walking around doing jack shit is what consitutes "gameplay" now these days, ey? Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a staunch proponent of having empty spaces in open world games. It's one of the reasons why I think Breath of the Wild's or R*'s open worlds are so much more convincing than anything Bethesda or Ubisoft have ever done. It doesn't make for exciting presentations, though. I think this game is really suffering from the fact that Sony's been promoting the game from a time when the devs hadn't even decided on an engine. That thing is still a long way off.

It's why I loved what Capcom did with the RE2 remake: here's that game you fans been begging us for for decades. Now go and play it for an hour. Release is in 7 months. Mic drop. Was a similar thing with Fallout 4's announcement.

Last edited:
I guess walking around doing jack shit is what consitutes "gameplay" now these days, ey? Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a staunch proponent of having empty spaces in open world games. It's one of the reasons why I think Breath of the Wild's or R*'s open worlds are so much more convincing than anything Bethesda or Ubisoft have ever done. It doesn't make for exciting presentations, though. I think this game is really suffering from the fact that Sony's been promoting the game from a time when the devs hadn't even decided on an engine. That thing is still a long way off.

It's why I loved what Capcom did with the RE2 remake: here's that game you fans been begging us for for decades. Now go and play it for an hour. Release is in 7 months. Mic drop. Was a similar thing with Fallout 4.
Oviously there is a different strategy and it is not worth comparing the two cases.
Capcom is a multiplatform developer that develops games all the time. When a game has enough progress they will announce it. Meanwhile during that time of development other teams were developing and releasing games. So thats a big production company with multiple teams making games concurrently.

In the case of Death Stranding, we are talking about one newish studio with a small (I think) team making one game only in collaboration with Sony. It's not just any studio either. The name behind that studio makes it important to announce the collaboration beforehand. The studio is also in need to attract investors and general support than show zero signs of life or what it is doing for 3 years or more.
Regarding Death Stranding we barely know anything about it. It was still a gameplay teaser. We don't know what it is trying to be or how it plays. So it is too early to judge and compare it with games like BotW. RDR or GTA when this may be something totally different from these games or totally different from what we have seen so far of it.

I'm not judging it. I actually said that these "boring" segments are very important. I'm simply stating that 2 years is a rather long time when all you have to show for it is the fact that I'll be able to walk around in a friggin' video game. And Sony always does this regardless of how established their studios are. I can certainly say that my excitement for games like Days Gone, Dreams and Spider-man has deflated heavily over the years. I'm sure the same's gonna happen with Ghost of Tsushima eventually.

I'm not judging it. I actually said that these "boring" segments are very important. I'm simply stating that 2 years is a rather long time when all you have to show for it is the fact that I'll be able to walk around in a friggin' video game. And Sony always does this regardless of how established their studios are. I can certainly say that my excitement for games like Days Gone, Dreams and Spider-man has deflated heavily over the years. I'm sure the same's gonna happen with Ghost of Tsushima eventually.
Yeah they tend to announced games 2 years or more prior of release sometimes so excitement wears down in time. Death Stranding seems to be another case of that and probably "worse". That said, in my case at least, I am still highly interested as unlike the other games, I have no idea what it is about and information is added gradually. We knew what Spiderman, Days Gone were about when they were shown. Death Stranding is still wrapped in mystery in a unique manner. It's reveal mimicks a movie series where plot twists come one after the other at the end of every season.

Oh, I'm still very interested as well. The fact that Sony basically went and said "here's all the money in the world, now go and do whatever the fuck you want" is amazing. I was simply hoping for a bit more than FedEX simulator 2018 with an actress eating a maggot and an extra helping of gross toenail violence. Especially since Kojima, a man frequently, and in my opinion, quite unfairly derided as just another failed film director, has almost always done spectacular work in the game mechanics department as well.

Last edited:
Back