The Annual E3 Sony press conference thread, 2018 edition

I havent watched the conference live. But this is probably one of Sony's worst conferences in terms of presentation and pacing?
And not much regarding new announcements. And zero surprises.
LOU2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima were the only exclusives shown and they are basically old news (they are Godly looking though). Ok and Trover is nice but it's cool as a side dish. NiOh2 might just as well become a timed exclusive and they only announced it. A no show.

Resi 2 and Control were nice showings.

Sony was probably caught in their own trap. They pre-announced so many games that they arent left with much to show, and thinking about it even if they do have something it is a matter of trying not to steal highlights from the already announced games with new projects maybe.

MS really stole the show by getting all the world premiers of superb titles for themselves, add 3 superb looking exclusives (regardless if we were all expecting them, they are still fresh announcements), add a megaton announcement of studio acquisition and you have it.

That intermission after TLOU2 was awful, but the games they showed absolutely delivered.
I expected to see Mortal Kombat but surprised to not see it.
RE2 remake looks fantastic.

So far the best conference was Ubisoft, hands down! Now I'm looking forward to Nintendo since I just got a Switch.

For me: Microsoft > Bethesda > Sony > Ubisoft > Square Enix > EA

If it wasn't for the awesome games Sony would be lower, I truly hate that format.

Well... Turns out it was just four games (and a bit). If you weren't into those big titles, absolutely nothing of interest and nothing to sell PS4. Last good Diablo 3 type game was Diablo three. No Champions of Norrath and, importantly, no interest in creating anything simple and fun and backing it. Maybe Sony think there's no point covering little games or diversity now as it's assumed? Maybe they're starting to see themselves as this Elite Grown-Up console brand for serious gamers??

Well... Turns out it was just four games (and a bit). If you weren't into those big titles, absolutely nothing of interest and nothing to sell PS4. Last good Diablo 3 type game was Diablo three. No Champions of Norrath and, importantly, no interest in creating anything simple and fun and backing it. Maybe Sony think there's no point covering little games or diversity now as it's assumed? Maybe they're starting to see themselves as this Elite Grown-Up console brand for serious gamers??
Yeah I must say that since Sony thre the Shenmue+Last Guradian + FF7 megaton, their conferences have been getting more and more boring.
Just when you thought they have learned their lesson, they are going back to early PS3 days edit: of arrogance. They should never seize to deliver and they could have made so much more announcements at least with the inclusion of more third party games or some other announcement.

Last edited:
Still no FFVII remake.

Development hell or saving it for Tokyo Game Show?

The money is with the 30-50 demographics. Conpletely understandable. But not a great setup for future generations of gamers.

I would be hard to imagine that people didn’t find at least 1 of those 4 exclusives stunning.

I disagree. The 30-50 demographic, or the HZD/GOW players, are something like 10 million out of 80 million PS4 owners. Let's say 25%. Sony made a conference that'll appeal to 25% of their audience with not a single little thing for everyone else. This may just be a PR strategy for the NA market/media coverage/something something and maybe there's lots of other stuff that's, you know, family friendly and just plain fun, but without any messaging to that effect, it's hard to believe. Previously Sony went big on everything PS4 had to offer, with something for everyone with those shows that included Wild, Dreams, etc.

E3 shouldn't be treated as an advert spot in the Superbowl. It should be presented as a vision of the platform. Well, maybe not. Maybe in Sony's case they felt E3 was only worth this and they'll save other messaging for other shows? Regardless, it's a non-event and would have decreased interest in future E3's if there was any. ;)

Finally seen the Sony conference, with lots of skipped and fast forwarding. Weird structure for sure, but what was shown was great. Notably, the TLoU Pt II and Ghosts of Tsushima look fantastic. Nothing else I saw swayed me, I'm already in or out for the games shown.

All I want from E3 is seeing games so I can see how I'll play them, then tell me when I can play them. :yep2:

Yes, if Sony had saved everyone from 25 minutes of hell it coukd have been so much better (15+ minutes of intermission with 10 minutes of musical performances). Lets all hope they dont fuck up like this ever again.

Thought it was a good conference. Would rank Bethesda first (there is no sticky thread for them?), Microsoft 2nd, Sony 3rd.
Sonys games impressed visually, but im not intrested in cinematic games. I mean was the last of us part 2 ingame or a demo?

Ghost of tsushima looked great, those fields and lighting, one can wonder how they pull it off on base PS4 hardware.

There is a thread. I unsticked threads that weren't getting traffic - what's the point of them liggering at the top? E3 doesn't get the forum attention it once commanded and there's no real point to them being separated from general discussion, certainly if aren't generating interesting. Specific content can and should be discussed in game thread.

Thought it was a good conference. Would rank Bethesda first (there is no sticky thread for them?), Microsoft 2nd, Sony 3rd.
Sonys games impressed visually, but im not intrested in cinematic games. I mean was the last of us part 2 ingame or a demo?

Ghost of tsushima looked great, those fields and lighting, one can wonder how they pull it off on base PS4 hardware.
watch the character models , you can see when it switches from an in game cinematic deal to actual gameplay , the character models drop greatly in quality

Didnt notice that, will watch again. Seems that cinematic games are popular nowadays? Its like half movie half game, with some games being more movie then gameplay, personally not liking this new approach but what they get done visually that wah is nice.

Didnt notice that, will watch again. Seems that cinematic games are popular nowadays? Its like half movie half game, with some games being more movie then gameplay, personally not liking this new approach but what they get done visually that wah is nice.
if done right I don't have a problem with it if its to emphasize a scene or something. Also makes for a prettier showing.

The games look amazing, but Dreams should have been in there, and variety was a bit lacking. This is the first year ever where I thought Microsoft had a better show, even though I saw nothing that I want to buy an Xbox for ... but they are definitely still doing their best to catch up. And great for Ninja Theory, hope they get a big budget to work with.

Although Sony's E3 conference pacing was piss-poor, it's hardline focus of its major first party titles wasn't. Sony warned the media/gamers a month or so ahead of time, that their E3 presentation was focusing on such. And more than likely, Sony's other first-party projects are gearing up for PS5. As for "little games or diverse titles," any additional multiplatform and indie titles were covered by Sony (e.g., post conference videos and stage interviews).

Back