Devil May Cry V [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

idsn6

Regular

DmC aesthetics. Terrible music. Everything about the new female sidekick is grating. Enjoy!

cnyakdT.jpg

Last edited:
Ugly as sin, but at least it's not being outsourced to a bunch of dudes who don't really care that much about gameplay this time. Or is it?

More details on characters and specific gameplay moves are still forthcoming—can Nero still MAX-Act rev the Red Queen?!—but rest assured the complete package will be delivered to you in true Devil May Cry form at a silky-smooth 60 frames-per-second and stunning visual fidelity, thanks to the power of our proprietary RE Engine.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindo...-coming-to-xbox-one-ps4-and-pc-in-spring-2019

Couldn't ask more for a DMC title.
Still not fan of the visual identity of the game. I miss the old ghotic-vampiric hunter vibe of the first DMCs.
But well at least gameplay-wise it's sure promises to be good.
Would love to see more but not fan of the art style and design. overall. where are the colours lol. but it's deliberated i guess. and the music too. probably targeted at a new audience and generation.
But omg that RE engine makes miracles.

Last edited:
Still not sold on the art direction (although I'm starting to come around), but gameplay-wise this looks terrific. Bosses in particular seem like they're a far cry from DmC's sad wait-for-qte-then-pummel-the-weak-spot affairs.
With this, Sekiro and RE2 all looking mighty fine and releasing within just a two months timeframe, it's gonna be one fine Japanese-ass Q1 2019 :)
This makes me one hell of a happy gamer.

I am very interested. I hope it's 60fps on all consoles. And also I wish there are more gothic environments added. DMC1 had an absolutely gorgeous atmosphere. I d love to see that art direction revisited

I think you'll get your gothic environments and your 60fps. The trailer already hints at the former, plus Capcom has been doing a pretty good job at giving fans what they want over the course of the last couple of years. Whether it's been Resident Evil or Monster Hunter, the company has shown its capability for striking the right balance between innovation and familiarity.

New leaks.

Featuring Max Payne as Dante:
1iEjjs4.png

DmC's Donte as Nero:
Ba5FzkA.png

And introducing Teddy Perkins as V:
lwkuhaj.png

Last edited:
Dante's official theme was released today. It was so bad that Capcom pulled it from YouTube hours later. No worries, I had the foresight to download it in 4K for you: https://mega.nz/#!OColUaIQ!nFuujXfs6hBhpIhX-iLJVYa6EuKY4hZp81VdskWSR1Q .

The video is laughable and the music is irredeemable trash, but I want to highlight how it was presented:

SK7IEo4.jpg

"The titular foul-mouthed protagonist and anti-hero of Dante."

The what? The who?

It has been very clear to me for some time now that there is nobody left at Capcom who likes or understands the Dante character. Series director Itsuno has been open in his preference for his own characters over those from Kamiya's DMC1.

DMC2 was a catastrophe, in no small part due to Dante's unrecognizable characterization and behavior compared to the first game. The game had troubled development, to say the least, so there is some leeway here.

DMC3 was created by the same team that made DMC2, as were the rest of the series followups, and this is often forgotten. Dante's character was overcorrected to be an over-the-top, cheesy imitation of DMC1 Dante's attempts at cool. This could be accepted as the brash attitude of a teenaged version of Dante in a prequel, made easier to swallow by the accompanying excellent gameplay.

DMC4 was intended to be a soft-reboot, the team's first attempt to get rid of Dante. Although set after DMC1, Dante nonsensically acted like an even cheesier version of his teen DMC3 iteration, goofy to the point of parody, and was sidelined off the main story in favor of Itsuno's newly created character, Nero, whom he hoped to take over the series. By now, the series' plot, script, and music had somehow become jokes that could only be enjoyed by fans ironically, like a bad B-movie; this shift in viewpoint is primarily how the Devil Trigger song from DMC5 got so "popular."

At this point, the DMC team hated Dante and the series so much that they decided that even a soft-reboot didn't go far enough and farmed out a full-reboot of the title to Ninja Theory, who all but called the mainline Dante a faggot while deriving their version from the manly chav. As a reminder, this is how DmC's Dante was introduced:

DmC utterly wrecked the characterization of Dante (among many other things), and he is clearly the version for whom the DMC5 Dante theme was written, based on the above blurb. It is no surprise that this massive shit on the characters, the gameplay, the series, and the fanbase is Itsuno's favorite in the franchise.

So now we come to DMC5. Having failed to saddle another studio with a game and character they do not care for*, Capcom are returning to finish the original DMC4 plan by explicitly making DMC5 "the end of the Sons of Sparda," clearing the way for Nero and his boring playstyle to completely replace Kamiya's lingering foundations so Itsuno can finally feel a sense of ownership of the series. Dante, an old man still awkwardly "woo-hoo"-ing like his adolescent DMC3 self, is obviously being set up to be Worfed by the antagonist in order to make Nero's ascendance appear more impressive, and will in all probability die or otherwise be retired so Nero can take up whatever remains of the mantle that he has not been given already.

I stand by every word of my short initial impressions in the opening post of this thread, and have not warmed to those aspects. I cannot stand either battle theme. Ali Edwards is a standout singer and I enjoyed her tracks in XB1's Killer Instinct, but her vocal style used there worked because of the context of a comeback series winking at its early-90's roots; using that same pop style for Devil May Cry is jarringly out of place, and I do not enjoy Devil Trigger on any level. The Dante Subhuman theme is such a multiple-front disaster that it will be interesting to see if it even remains in the released game. The clear DmC influences have only accumulated with more footage, and have been openly acknowledged by Capcom. The gameplay shown so far has mostly been warmed-over DMC4, often with literally unchanged decade-old animations, augmented with the bizarre new innovation of weapon breakage and management, which I am sure will be warmly embraced in a series that has always luxuriated in the freedom of infinite ammo.

* Q: "Does 'they' in that sentence refer to Capcom or Ninja Theory?" A: "Yes."

---

And now, for something completely different.

Last edited:
Yes nothing beats the original Dante :)
DMC2 was one of the worst games I ve ever played. I hated it so much that I gave it away for free. I was so shocked how bad it was right after the awesome original. Btw I remember years ago reading about a studio to which projects are outsourced by big companies like Capcom. That studio is not mentioned in the credits of these games. There was a big list of games they produced and one of them was DMC2. Does anyone else remember anything?

All this is very cringy, B-anime-movie-like trash. A random and tasteless collage of angsty teenagy visual elements mixing heavy metal and emo from the perspective of nerdy Japanese artists lacking any sense of self-awareness.
Sure.
But so was the original DMC games, and most Japanese games of that era for the matter. There is no way to try pay homage to the original and not be cringy. Take off the nostalgia-glasses.

Last edited:
All this is very cringy, B-anime-movie-like trash. A random and tasteless collage of angsty teenagy visual elements mixing heavy metal and emo from the perspective of nerdy Japanese artists lacking any sense of self-awareness.
Sure.
But so was the original DmC games, and most Japanese games of that era for the matter. There is no way to try pay homage to the original and not be cringy. Take off the nostalgia-glasses.
From the demo there is certainly elements I miss from the original. The surreal Gothic architecture, the gothic style music, the eerie silence, the techno rock yet not so heavy soundtrack during the action scenes, the unique fighting approach/strategy required for and identity of each boss, movesets that are easy to read.
They failed to capture this since the original. Dante was a cool mostly silent character that didn't have to overly show off how cool he was. He just was.

Six months ago, I wrote:
Having failed to saddle another studio with a game and character they do not care for, Capcom are returning to finish the original DMC4 plan by explicitly making DMC5 "the end of the Sons of Sparda," clearing the way for Nero and his boring playstyle to completely replace Kamiya's lingering foundations so Itsuno can finally feel a sense of ownership of the series. Dante, an old man still awkwardly "woo-hoo"-ing like his adolescent DMC3 self, is obviously being set up to be Worfed by the antagonist in order to make Nero's ascendance appear more impressive, and will in all probability die or otherwise be retired so Nero can take up whatever remains of the mantle that he has not been given already.

This turned out to be 100% correct.

Of course, it wasn't hard to guess; about as easy as the true identity of V. The latter has been fairly obvious for a long time, the only hesitation coming from the thought that surely Capcom wouldn't release three DMC games in a row where a character is dramatically revealed to actually have been another major character in disguise all along, but such second-guessing clearly over/under-estimated series writer Bingo Morihashi.

In line with this rehashing, the final battle is a copy/paste of the one from DmC, which was itself already a riff on the final battle from DMC3. As in DmC, you fight Vergil on a raised white platform while he performs slow Helmbreakers and activates Doppelganger during one phase of the battle, with him getting impaled through the chest. Astoundingly, compared to DmC's version DMC5 has more F-bombs and worse music.

This fight serves to establish that Itsuno's Nero is stronger than both Kamiya's Dante and Vergil, who go off to seal a demon portal from the other side ("If you do that you can't come back!", for all that's ever been worth) and leave the human world (series) in Nero's hand(s).

Six months ago, I wrote:

This turned out to be 100% correct.

Of course, it wasn't hard to guess; about as easy as the true identity of V. The latter has been fairly obvious for a long time, the only hesitation coming from the thought that surely Capcom wouldn't release three DMC games in a row where a character is dramatically revealed to actually have been another major character in disguise all along, but such second-guessing clearly over/under-estimated series writer Bingo Morihashi.

In line with this rehashing, the final battle is a copy/paste of the one from DmC, which was itself already a riff on the final battle from DMC3. As in DmC, you fight Vergil on a raised white platform while he performs slow Helmbreakers and activates Doppelganger during one phase of the battle, with him getting impaled through the chest. Astoundingly, compared to DmC's version DMC5 has more F-bombs and worse music.

This fight serves to establish that Itsuno's Nero is stronger than both Kamiya's Dante and Vergil, who go off to seal a demon portal from the other side ("If you do that you can't come back!", for all that's ever been worth) and leave the human world (series) in Nero's hand(s).
Did you get an early access?

Back