Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s possible that Vega 64 is sufficient given it’s already greater than 12 TF.
Yes. An APU with Vega 10 performance is probably the best we can expect for a 2020 release. I'd say we should expect Vega 64 performance on power saving mode (before hitting that 1400MHz efficiency wall), so 64 CUs at ~1350MHz = 11 TFLOPs, using ~200W.

14nm -> 7nm at ISO performance means ~50% area and ~60% power reductions, so applying this to a Vega 10 in power saving would result in a chunk of 240mm^2 for iGPU + memory controller, and a ~80W power budget for the iGPU.

Good content from Lucasza over at resetera:

Some very interesting stuff from Ashraf Eassa ‏(who previously unveiled a bunch of Intel codenames like Arctic Sound from Intel etc.).
It's in the context of Raja Koduri and why RTG struggled.
According to Forrest Norrod from AMD's Datacenter department the execution now is faster because in the past Raja Koduri changed product plans several times which are now locked down and progressing faster:
DfMHyu6VAAAsqad.jpg

Ashraf in contrast doesn't like the "blaming" and according to what he heard Raja's execution abilities where limited by the fact that most of RTG, 2/3, were working on the Semi-Custom side where they tried to hit Sony's demands for Navi:

Source thread:

Well if true we are talking about a (custom) Navi for the PS5.

Additionally, TSMC is pouring more resources into 7nm HVM.

Their CEO and founder retired this week. I somehow missed that news.

Last edited by a moderator:
It can't be worse than PSNow that already brings ps4 level gaming but with shitty streaming IQ.
I imagine we'll be able to taste ps5 gaming on psnow too.
I tried it with the 7 days free trial and that was acceptable.

I think everything is starting to point to 2020 as the year.

I think it's smart on MS's part to get ahead of it. And mention the actual project name. It will leak so why not control the information from the start. The fans love this info. I like how they mentioned the specs for Scorpio when they announced it a year early and then did the deep techdive with Digital Foundry. if Scarlet is 2020, I bet we get target specs next year, in a similar way that we got with Scorpio.

I think everything is starting to point to 2020 as the year.

I think it's smart on MS's part to get ahead of it. And mention the actual project name. It will leak so why not control the information from the start. The fans love this info. I like how they mentioned the specs for Scorpio when they announced it a year early and then did the deep techdive with Digital Foundry. if Scarlet is 2020, I bet we get target specs next year, in a similar way that we got with Scorpio.

I think it actually solidifies late 2019 for me. For one or both platforms. I mean Microsoft confirming next-gen 2.5 years out after most were shocked with the 18 months for Scorpio and Sony went the other way with just 2 months for official Pro announce/release?

Very good position. They need to make it part of their marketing campaign rather than just talking to the gamers. I see that as MS's biggest USP, and with XB and XB360 emulation already down on XB1 and future hardware being a lot more compatible with XB1, it should be smoothish sailing from here-on-in.

Also, the overhead of MS's thicker APIs doesn't seem a problem at all. Hardware performance between XB1 and PS4 are in line with the hardware differences, while XB1 does that with software that should transfer more comfortably to new hardware. That's quite the accomplishment!

PS3 emulation seems unlikely. PS1, 2 and 4 are definitely on the cards - 1 and 2 are already emulated on PS4, just locked away, and PS4 on PS5 seems inevitable given assumed hardware similarities and patents regards BC. However, Sony are non-committal I guess because they want to be open to any hardware. What if an option becomes available for a paradigm shift in hardware that breaks compatibility but moves gaming forwards a significant jump? If you promise BC, you have to give up on that option which Sony won't do.

If PS5 doesn't have PS4 BC, expect realtime raytracing everywhere! :D

PS3 emulation seems unlikely. PS1, 2 and 4 are definitely on the cards - 1 and 2 are already emulated on PS4, just locked away, and PS4 on PS5 seems inevitable given assumed hardware similarities and patents regards BC. However, Sony are non-committal I guess because they want to be open to any hardware. What if an option becomes available for a paradigm shift in hardware that breaks compatibility but moves gaming forwards a significant jump? If you promise BC, you have to give up on that option which Sony won't do.

If PS5 doesn't have PS4 BC, expect realtime raytracing everywhere! :D
There was a leak of an image on the PS store that said something like “Best of PS3”, but that hasn’t materialized into anything. That being said, PC PS3 emulation is actually to the point of running some games, so it seems plausible for a PS5 of the future, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back