The Annual E3 EA press conference thread, 2018 edition

Yay, forums back up. And uh... What a supremely crappy press conference.

Let's bring back Command and Conquer and then shit all over it by making it a supremely crappy mobile game. Then, let's make everyone sit through some agonizing real time gameplay on stage. Granted I really like iNcontroL, but even he couldn't do anything to save this segment.

Let's try to do a Nintendo style presentation for Anthem, but then completely bork it.

Let's do an extremely cringe worthy sort of reveal for Respawn's Star Wars game. I want to quote some of what was said, but OMG it was SOOO bad.

Announcement and apologies for the last Star Wars: Battlefront game. More DLC for a game that almost no one cares about anymore.

And while I don't like sports. The Sports announcements were the only thing good about the conference.

That said, what little of Anthem was shown looks REALLY good.

Oh and looks like BF:V is going to have gameplay footage shown at the MS conference.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Extreme Low Points:
Command and Conquer Rivals as a Mobile game.

Extreme High Points:
Unravel 2
Available NOW on PC, Xbox, PS4.

Sea of Solitude!
Releases Early 2019.

{ OP updated with YouTube Trailer Playlist }

Yeah the conference was so bad, I'd forgotten about those 2 gems.

Unravel looks really nice. But don't do what I did. Switch to watching someone play God of War (2018) after seeing it. God of War looked positively plain after seeing the detail on objects in Unravel.

Regards,
SB

Battle Royale battlefield :LOL:

That conference was just about what I expected from EA.

It was a pretty mediocre conference at best. Nothing surprising. Battlefield V will probably be a solid game. Last year Anthem was one the more impressive games at E3 for me. After seeing more today I'm not really digging it. It looks real nice graphically but in terms of an actual game...meh. It's like someone thought it would be cool to make an Iron Man/Exo-suit concept demo but had nothing else to offer...

Nothing surprising.

So you knew Unravel 2 was already in development let alone that it would be released and available today? You need to share some of your sources then.

So you knew Unravel 2 was already in development let alone that it would be released and available today? You need to share some of your sources then.
I guess it depends on a persons definition of "surprised"

Terrible. Anthem went from hype monster to...what the hell was that? Is it single player?

Battlefield V went from mondo wowser trailer visuals to oh, it looks like every other bland COD/BF shooter in real MP game play (still hope for campaign I guess).

Worst 1st day of E3 ever?

Anthem was interesting.

I went in expecting a Destiny archetype. Came out realizing it's not quite.

A bit surprised there's no PvP in Anthem, as I was figuring it to follow the Destiny formula. Maybe they'll add it in as in character "(VR) Training Exercises" for the mercenaries if there is enough demand for it. I could easily see strategic game modes for that and them fitting in nicely to the game world.

Terrible. Anthem went from hype monster to...what the hell was that? Is it single player?

Battlefield V went from mondo wowser trailer visuals to oh, it looks like every other bland COD/BF shooter in real MP game play (still hope for campaign I guess).

I keep telling folks here but no one listened, looks like history is repeating itself again. That distinct visual dip from trailer to gameplay is murderous. We shall see what the SP looks like from MS conference and I bet it ain't trailer visuals either.

I don't think it will look that bad since they will use Xbox One X enhancements, unless you think they used monster PC settings for today's showings.

A bit surprised there's no PvP in Anthem, as I was figuring it to follow the Destiny formula. Maybe they'll add it in as in character "(VR) Training Exercises" for the mercenaries if there is enough demand for it. I could easily see strategic game modes for that and them fitting in nicely to the game world.
yea it quickly became diablo 3. That was my first hint of difference. It's definitely going to be more character focused than FPS/competitive focused.

on second thoughts, it's actually very mass effect 3 like from the sounds of it. Except that the campaign can be played co-operatively? and the post game content is closer to just Mass Effect 3 MP where you're just doing missions and stuff repeatedly.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how people react differently to what little was shown for Anthem.

I'm actually more interested in it now than I was last year. Enough that while I still don't think I'll be installing Origin on my system, I'm actually considering it for the first time, ever. Still need to see more of the gameplay loop though.

I watched the stream with the itmeJP crew, and their reaction and the reaction of most of the thousands watching that stream were the same. A lot more hype for this game after the EA conference this year than last year.

Also, I imagine it'd be radically harder to balance this for PVP than Destiny. Destiny the classes are very similar in the grand scheme of things. They each have their flavor but their class abilities don't drastically change how the archtypes perform.

That isn't to say they don't change how each character plays, but the differences aren't as drastic as a true class based system which is what it looks like Anthem is going for. IE - one class doesn't have the ability to completely counter another class.

For example, the Juggernaut is significantly different from the Ranger. One is meant to soak up and prevent a lot of damage while the other is meant to stay behind the Juggernaut and take out high value single targets.

If they did PvP, they'd have to do team based PVP. Think Overwatch. Classes complement each other and one archtype may completely counter another archtype.

Regards,
SB

Curious, they're bringing Madden back to the PC but not apparently the Switch.

Oh well, hope they do a better job with FIFA 19 on the Switch.

I don't think it will look that bad since they will use Xbox One X enhancements, unless you think they used monster PC settings for today's showings.
Sure the image quality would be great but not the level of lighting, post processing and models shown in the trailer. It would look good as per Battlefield game but nothing more than that.

Anthem on the other hand looks more detailed with more effects but it's a glorified MMO so nothing of value to me. Bioware sure is heading downhill from the look of things.

Still looks better than nearly eneything else. And it has a lot of destruction. The parts also react physically when they fall down.

30 minutes gameplay

I just wonder if Battlefield V can keep up with Battlefront II because that destroys everything. Battlefront II also has Hybrid Raytracing Shadowing which looks fantastic. Let's see if it still exists in Battlefield V.

Last edited:
Back