AMD Vega 10, Vega 11, Vega 12 and Vega 20 Rumors and Discussion

A gaming SDK seems unlikely. You'd have to disable an HBM stack just to go down to 12gb, because no game needs more than that right now and otherwise you're wasting money. Not to mention this is a first run 7nm product, in a timeframe where Apple has no doubt snapped up most production capacity for the next iPhone. Meaning this will be monumentally expensive to produce.

32gb of ram mean ML types will happily pay 6 figures for this thing. But even the most hardcore gamers will balk at that price.

Somebody is buying them at least.

https://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/call-tr...u-on-q4-2017-results-earnings-call-transcript
"Our professional graphics business, had its best quarter ever, based on growing data center sales, highlighted by strong Radeon Instinct, MI25 sales to a major cloud provider."

And there was this.
https://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-and-baidu-2017aug28.aspx

But are they buying them for machine learning applications, or other kinds of HPC?

Also, AMD gets their best professional graphics quarter almost every quarter, it seems, but it never appears to amount to much in the end. I sometimes get the feeling that they sold one card during the quarter when they created this business unit, two in the second, three in the third, etc.

Vega 10 outsold Fiji by 10x:

7DWbYfF.jpg

But are they buying them for machine learning applications, or other kinds of HPC?
They bought Radeon Instinct for A.I. applications:

Baidu said:

Also, AMD gets their best professional graphics quarter almost every quarter, it seems, but it never appears to amount to much in the end. I sometimes get the feeling that they sold one card during the quarter when they created this business unit, two in the second, three in the third, etc.
Yeah it is a bit academic until one knows the scale of the implementation and sales in actual revenue or some kind of figure, most will do small node implementation as part of their R&D alignment just like several other cloud/AI/hyperscale companies before deciding on committing to large scale services/nodes.

According to the person who wrote the article, it's Vega 10 > 10x Fiji.

AMD later, at its post event round-table, clarified that it was referring to "Fiji," or the chip that went into building the Radeon R9 Fury X, R9 Nano, etc., and comparing its sales with that of products based on the "Vega 10" silicon.

According to the person who wrote the article, it's Vega 10 > 10x Fiji.
Thanks, should've read this myself in the first place.

Also interesting are the sentences directly after your quote:
Growth in shipments of "Vega" based graphics cards is triggered by the crypto-mining industry, and for all intents and purposes, AMD considers the "Vega 10" silicon to be a commercial success.

So listening to the conference to give a bit more context Lisa said regarding the 10x;
Lisa Su said:
The high end Vega GPU that we launched in August of last year, if you look at just August until now we have over 10x the number of gamers that are using Vega vs our previous generation in GPU.
Over 10x, and we are just starting with Vega overall.

Big thumbs up with how Lisa's presentation skills has improved, and 1st senior manager (beyond such as Papermaster) I felt comfortable watching since days of Rory so she is working hard at this, not as natural for her as say Jensen (still much preparation even by him) but she makes it work now and way to tell if someone is natural is to pay attention to the breathing with flow of the speech/specific used pauses and certain inflections/tonal characteristics.
However such important international presenting is far from natural for most of us and IMO she is doing a good job now, especially as she engages better with a larger audience now.

What is not clear though is whether the Vega 10 silicon comparison to Fiji-Fury is over its complete lifecycle or a like-for-like 12 month window, kinda academic but would be nice if it turned out to be the 1st case.
Not sure then as well how FE and professional Vega fit into this as well in terms of success or were they bundled into the gamer comparison *shrug*, tend to think probably omitted as Lisa specifically mentioned gamers (albeit would include miners that would be a contributor).

Edit:
Were there any figures historically with regards to shipment numbers for Fiji for launch to end of product life in the gaming segment and separately professional?
Would help to give some reference/perspective.

Last edited:
That seems contradictory as to what's reported by techpowerup.com. I'm confused.
In what way?
I think maybe techpowerup focused more generally but then also showed a further clarification from AMD that the comparison was Fiji models on Fury/Fury X/Nano to Vega10 silicon.
In essence it did outsell/shipment by 10x but context I guess is important.
Although the numbers would be nice on actual shipment comparison and window used for Fiji as could be interpreted either way launch/full cycle.

In the way, that Su said (shortened): „10x Vegas in the hands of gamers“ while the other guy at the roundtable _reportedly_ said „Growth in shipments of "Vega" based graphics cards is triggered by the crypto-mining industry“. That's two different audiences in my books. Or is my understanding of english off again? It's kinda hot in the office, so I would not rule that out. :D

In the way, that Su said (shortened): „10x Vegas in the hands of gamers“ while the other guy at the roundtable _reportedly_ said „Growth in shipments of "Vega" based graphics cards is triggered by the crypto-mining industry“. That's two different audiences in my books. Or is my understanding of english off again? It's kinda hot in the office, so I would not rule that out. :D

Ah I see, that was the post event QA round table like you say where it is possible to expanded upon narrative when drilled down, I guess someone asked about breakdown/gaming specifics and the answer expanded to what you included, tbh neither can Nvidia differentiate the shipment between gaming and crypto-mining industry and I was dubious how much AMD or maybe more specifically some analysts played down the segment's contribution to their dGPU shipments relative to competitors.
While raising prior shipment of Fiji how well did that do with the crypto-mining industry?
Although I assume it is fair to say the industry has exploded in growth with regards to using dGPUs compared to that time period so how much does the crypto mining growth influence the shipment difference between then and now.
All that said, bottom line at least they sold well (putting aside how many actually sold to gamers) just need to see how it pans out long term.

Last edited:
It could be that the "10x Vegas in the hands of gamers" statement includes Raven Ridge and Kaby Lake G (though volume for this last one should be tiny for now), and the "Vega 10 > 10x Fiji" statement is just a parallel fact.

I just don't think 10x Fiji is really that impressive given the limited sales and production of Fiji and the large amount of Vega sales attributed to mining. At least from a gamer perspective on the success of the product. Obviously financially for AMD it's still a success I guess.

I just don't think 10x Fiji is really that impressive given the limited sales and production of Fiji and the large amount of Vega sales attributed to mining. At least from a gamer perspective on the success of the product. Obviously financially for AMD it's still a success I guess.
My thinking as well. Steam may have its flaws but did Fiji ever show up in the top 20 of GPUs? From a volume and profit point of view, Fiji was probably one of their biggest flops in years.

Back