Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2018]

With Kinect dead, what's the point? Hold on, let me put on headset , turn on my Xbox and ask Alexa something!

Apparently I'm wrong on that (along with lots of people!). Need a web-cam for voice input. Maybe it was an old rumour that's stuck with me, coupled with the fact PS4 has added voice control?

Apparently I'm wrong on that (along with lots of people!). Need a web-cam for voice input. Maybe it was an old rumour that's stuck with me, coupled with the fact PS4 has added voice control?
huh, I thought mic worked as voice control for PS4? Are you saying we're wrong?

You can have a microphone in the controller, like DS4. Or any open mic connected to the console - an Amazon Echo doesn't need a 3D camera and mic array to be able to take voice input.
You can even build it in the console like apparently the new Atari VCS is doing. I wouldn't be against that. Like DrJay said having to put my headset on for my 2nd Xbox that doesn't have Kinect is a pain. Just wished my Invoke would connect with it instead. :/

Tommy McClain

huh, I thought mic worked as voice control for PS4? Are you saying we're wrong?
You can use voice control with PS4. There's no built-in mic though, and you need to use an external one. Certainly PS4 camera (which has no brand name?), possibly any webcam, or a headset or paired mic. Could well be the mobile app works.

You can use voice control with PS4. There's no built-in mic though, and you need to use an external one. Certainly PS4 camera (which has no brand name?), possibly any webcam, or a headset or paired mic. Could well be the mobile app works.

Both my PS4 and PS4 Pro came with a headphone and mic headset that plug into a DualShock 4 so it's good to go out of the box. I've never used the headset but the PS4 camera mic does the job.

The standard headset is the most horrific head-set ever created. I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

When you say 'head-set' you're referring to the earbuds/mic combo - correct? If so, that's a little hyperbolic on calling them the "most horrific head-set ever created." They worked pretty well for me, and possibly others, and I used them exclusively for almost two years during my PS4 GTA V online sessions (which ironically lead me to start hating online gaming... lol), before the PC edition was available.

When you say 'head-set' you're referring to the earbuds/mic combo - correct? If so, that's a little hyperbolic on calling them the "most horrific head-set ever created." They worked pretty well for me, and possibly others, and I used them exclusively for almost two years during my PS4 GTA V online sessions (which ironically lead me to start hating online gaming... lol), before the PC edition was available.
If you have no problem with it, I suggest you may well enjoy having oversized centipedes burrowing into your ear. Of all the freebies earphones I've had with mobile phones, I've never met any fundamentally uncomfortable - only this default piece with the PS4. Prompted me to get their 7.1 surround headphones instead (probably the plan!).

If you have no problem with it, I suggest you may well enjoy having oversized centipedes burrowing into your ear. Of all the freebies earphones I've had with mobile phones, I've never met any fundamentally uncomfortable - only this default piece with the PS4. Prompted me to get their 7.1 surround headphones instead (probably the plan!).

Your Opponent has left the match.

Ok looks like another big dashboard change on the way. Entertainment/TV tab we had some good times.

os5oo1vaq1411.jpg

Tommy McClain

I wish we could turn our custom group(s) into a custom Tab along the dashboard.

Arstechnica review of the new Xbox Adaptive Controller. Seems like a winner.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-impressions-a-bold-start-for-limited-gamers/

"Microsoft's newest game accessory, the Xbox Adaptive Controller, probably isn't for you. That's just an odds game, when counting the percentage of people who fall into the "limited mobility" camp that this strange, unique controller is aimed at.

But that's the incredible thing about the XAC: that it's targeting a particularly fractured audience. Limited mobility is a giant, vague category, after all, with so many physical ailments to account for (let alone psychological ones). And previous answers in the gaming sphere have typically been specialized, one-of-a-kind controllers for single hands, feet, heads, and more.

XAC wins out in an odd way: by leaving some major work in users' hands. This $99 lap-sized device is truly incomplete on its own, as it's designed from the ground up to require add-on joysticks, buttons, and more. As a result, there's no way to fully review the possibilities Microsoft's XAC opens up for disabled gamers. Still, we've put a retail unit through its paces to see what kind of accessibility canvas this revolutionary "controller" opens up - and exactly how it works - to help limited-mobility gamers and their caretakers decide if its functionality, ease-of-use, and practical cost is right for them."

Anybody like the new dash? It's the first major change in almost 2 years. From what I heard 50% of Alpha & Skip Ahead users have got it. I have it on 2 of my 3 consoles. Looks good so far.

ConsoleHomeExperiment_HERO.jpg

The biggest change is that "twist" has been removed & replaced with actual buttons below the current game tile(Games Pass, Mixer, Store & Community). So no more using bumpers to switch between tabs. They've added a couple extra tiles for previous titles(now 5, had been 3 lately , but was 4 originally). The Discover section seems bigger but it's not. Less text & buttons but now just 3 big icons. Looks like the one on the left is personal one. So you'll see friends or stat comparisons. The other 2 are currently promotions, which we've always had before. I'll have to check to see how they are on mine.

Lastly, Cortana via the headset is gone. Kinect Cortana is still there & the Xbox Skill for Cortana & Alexa devices is getting expanded. The original Xbox commands still work with Kinect.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/07...box-voice-commands-roll-out-to-xbox-insiders/

Thought this was interesting too...

The Home experience will continue to evolve and change based on your feedback, so please let us know what you think and share your ideas for Home at the Xbox Ideas Hub. You may see this layout change and even come and go as we iterate on your feedback.

Tommy McClain

Back