PS4 controller question.

Does anyone know off hand if there are any decent 3rd party controllers for the PS4 that have the same analog stick configuration as an Xbox controller?

Regards,
SB

Does anyone know off hand if there are any decent 3rd party controllers for the PS4 that have the same analog stick configuration as an Xbox controller?

How about an Xbox controller and one of the many adaptors that'll let one controller work with another console? You're probably looking about the same price range. I've no idea how it works to compensate for lack of gyros and touchpad so you may want to do some research.

I dont have the link right now, but theres another adapter out there that many people have been raving about on ResetEra. It allows for wireless controllers (without any timeouts) to function on PS4 and even emulates the custom buttons on the PkayStation very well and it adds gyroscopic input too!

I'm thinking about picking one up so I can use my Xbox Elite controller on the PS as well.

Regards,
SB

Trust me, it doesn't matter. Your thumbs and brain won't notice the difference. The amount of chatter about stick placement is nothing but console war bullshit.

I go between PS4, PS3, 360 and XB1 controllers all the time and the real differences are not in the stick placement.

Trust me, it doesn't matter. Your thumbs and brain won't notice the difference. The amount of chatter about stick placement is nothing but console war bullshit.

I go between PS4, PS3, 360 and XB1 controllers all the time and the real differences are not in the stick placement.

For some people sure. But the PlayStation analog stick placement is actually somewhat painful for me to use now over a long gaming session. Granted, I don't do long gaming sessions anymore.

It's far more comfortable to have the analog stick directly opposite the face buttons so that my thumbs are generally aligned during gameplay in most games where I use a controller (platformers). I've adapted to using the bottom segment of my thumb to move the right analog stick when needed so that my thumbs are always in the same position.

The only time this is a problem is when I need to use the D-pad in conjunction with the face buttons (fighting games), but I have an arcade stick for those types of games (fighting games).

Regards,
SB

I've never understood the preference for asymmetrical stick placement, especially in FPS's where I would've thought symmetry would be better.

^^ for me it's about comfort too. Xbox gamepad is just more comfortable with it's thumb stick placement

That is obviously not true. It might not matter to some, but to others is does.

I've never liked PlayStation controllers because of the awkward position you have to hold your thumbs in. Ergonomically it's not very good.

Normally your thumbs are pointing upwards. On a Xbox or switch pro controller your left thumb is pretty much in a natural position while your right thumb is only slightly angled.

On a PS controller both thumbs have to be angled inwards far more which makes it uncomfortable for me to hold.

I've never understood the preference for asymmetrical stick placement, especially in FPS's where I would've thought symmetry would be better.

For me, its more about controller build quality. Once you have a higher quality controller, like the Xbox Elite controller, everything else feels like a cheap toy.

It feels like déjà vu but I'm certain this topic comes up regularly. I've a couple of decades of Sony controller muscle memory so that feels 'right' to me. I really like the Switch Pro controller though, it fits my size hands perfectly but have no problem with using the sticks on any of the controllers.

The only thing that irritates me is the different X and A (or circle) button placement across the three platforms. At least Sony and Microsoft agree on the placement on the primary and back buttons.

I've never liked PlayStation controllers because of the awkward position you* have to hold your thumbs in. Ergonomically it's not very good...Normally your thumbs are pointing upwards.
That's untrue. If you completely relax your hands, you thumbs are inwards slightly - they are neither straight up or straight sideways. Thumbs have an enormous range of motion and both thumbsticks and face buttons lies within the natural range of motion depending on user's hand size and where you hold the controller. If you wrap your hands around the controller, DualShock can see the thumbsticks both placed quite laterally to the thumb. If you hold it further outwards with the handles nestled in the cusp of the hand with just the ends of your fingers on the shoulder buttons, the thumbsticks lie in a very natural line.

This is more true for a typically smaller Asian hand, and ham-fisted Westerners might have more difficulty finding a comfortable fit. However, it's categorically wrong to state as an absolute that DS controllers have poor ergonomics. (You perhaps meant 'I' instead of 'you*'). If anything, DS just needs an oversized variety to line the ergonomics up with bigger hands. Off the top of my head, simple handle extensions should do the job.

It'd be nice if the things could be rearranged, but the face buttons occupy a larger area than the thumbsticks so you couldn't directly swap them over if one configuration. You could have a controller assembled from a few core parts though, and have options for stick and face buttons. Probably horrifically expensive to do that well. ;)

?

1) That's horribly expensive.
2) You can't swap stick and face-button positions. You'd need a system where you have left handle with rumble, left side 'face-buttons and stick' unit available in two configurations, centre portion, right side 'face-buttons and stick' in two configurations, and right handle with rumble, that clip together very solidly. Far too complex and expensive for a default controller so it'd have to be an expensive Elite thing.

The other option is for the sticks and face buttons to be removable from the top and swapped, but they are the wrong sizes to allow that AFAICS. You'd need enough space for the face buttons where the sticks are, making that area much larger

At least Sony and Microsoft agree on the placement on the primary and back buttons.
Not sony. they cant even agree X or O is the primary and back buttons between PS4 regions and PS4 game regions . Heck, in one game regions, some use X some use O.

Not sony. they cant even agree X or O is the primary and back buttons between PS4 regions and PS4 game regions . Heck, in one game regions, some use X some use O.

In my region, Sony and Microsoft agree the 'south' button is primary and 'east' button is back. Maybe Sony hate other regions? :runaway: It's easy to re-assign buttons on PS4 though.

Back