God of War [PS4, PC]

More tactical maybe, but deeper? That's a bit of a stretch. You can do some pretty crazy stuff with Hermes' boots for example. The new game is entirely missing that airial dimension as well. And it's really just a mindless masher on lower difficulties. The new one is too. Spamming arrows and axes while mashing R1 will absolutely get you through normal mode.
I do think it's deeper because I think the move set is at least as large GoW3, and the enemy encounters are more tactical. I feel the large majority of encounters in GoW were just button mashing. Mashing R1 and arrows in this GoW will not get you passed quite a few encounters, especially if you're under level. Mind you this is factoring in all encounters, including side missions, which are harder than the main campaign.

Jumping is obviously not in the game, but aerial juggling is still in this GoW. Enemies generally don't float up in the air as long, but there are certain runic attacks and items you can equip to extend the time.

Last edited:
Thanks Billy, I will.

As I said, I have absolutely no doubt it's an epic game. Just not an epic GoW game (but something new). The pretty graphics and the marvelous technical achievement doesn't change that, to me.

I have to say though - what you wrote about GoW3 is precisely what I loved so much about it too. The non-stop action packed roller-coaster ride from beginning to end, fighting incredible hordes of enemies and then being blown away by epic boss fights. It reminded me so much of games I grew up with that had that same level-level-boss-level-level-boss feel.

I don't mind open-world games, but I'm also getting tired of them. The Rise of the Tomb Raider is boring me to hell and as much as I'm a fan of Metal Gear Solid, the open-world of the latest one killed it. I appreciate open-world for games like Witcher, GTA and others, but it doesn't mean I want every game out there to have one. And IMO, this is exactly what these new games are turning into. Aside of the story and some differing game mechanics, what is so different about this new GoW then say Horizon Zero Dawn?

GOW is not exactly ‘open world’ in the strict sense of the term. It’s more like a series of large and very varied areas connected by corridors to a big and open area in the middle.

It’s more similar to Bloodborne in that sense than HZD.

It's basically like Ocarina of time: big field in the middle surrounded by lots of adjacent smaller ones. Even has Ocarina's parallel dimensions if you will. A traditional open world it is not.

Couple of shots of Kratos I took from photo mode.

ogUY88G.jpg

God_of_War_20180518013441.png

God_of_War_20180518015432.png

Not the best picture due to flash from camera in a dark room, but I was blown away by how good GoW looked on my projector and 110" screen which I'd finished setting up on Friday. This was just on a standard PS4 on a JVC7900. Almost tempted to play through The Order 1886 again but probably need to clear some more of my backlog before I do that ..... :)

Attachments

• IMG-20180701-WA0014.jpeg
    IMG-20180701-WA0014.jpeg
    974.5 KB · Views: 42
Yeah this is 4k ,or faux k depending on how you look at it but when I demoed various projectors this way just way better then the true 4k models I saw. At least in my price range anyway :) Another advantage is that I can actually read the text in GoW now :)

Not the best picture due to flash from camera in a dark room, but I was blown away by how good GoW looked on my projector and 110" screen which I'd finished setting up on Friday. This was just on a standard PS4 on a JVC7900. Almost tempted to play through The Order 1886 again but probably need to clear some more of my backlog before I do that ..... :)

Nice setup!! What are those speakers?

We need a pic without the flash please :)

GOW is not exactly ‘open world’ in the strict sense of the term. It’s more like a series of large and very varied areas connected by corridors to a big and open area in the middle.

It’s more similar to Bloodborne in that sense than HZD.
To me GOW level design felt most similar to Darksiders. That is exactly how this game is structured. Not an open world game at all.

Recently moved house and new house has 'summer house / mancave' at bottom of the garden which was just begging to be turned into a cinema room , it had previously been used as a music practise room so had soundproofing built into the walls which helped. Oh and a mini gym as well. Anyway, been working on turning the music room part of it it into a cinema room so has : JVC 7900 Projector, B&W 683 speakers, REL S5 sub and 4 ceiling/atmos speakers and 2 rear speakers. Completely silly really, but playing God of War , Sea of Thieves and watching The Matrix on it made me think there were worse things I could have bought :) A cut scene in GoW with Jormungandr speaking had me a bit worried that the bass would shake the place down :) I'll take a few more pictures if people want to see :)

For me, playing using a projector was a bit too much to be honest. I love it for movies, but for games I actually prefer the more manageable screen estate of a tv. Basically, I don't really wanna have to turn my neck in order to check my hud.

Recently moved house and new house has 'summer house / mancave' at bottom of the garden which was just begging to be turned into a cinema room , it had previously been used as a music practise room so had soundproofing built into the walls which helped. Oh and a mini gym as well. Anyway, been working on turning the music room part of it it into a cinema room so has : JVC 7900 Projector, B&W 683 speakers, REL S5 sub and 4 ceiling/atmos speakers and 2 rear speakers. Completely silly really, but playing God of War , Sea of Thieves and watching The Matrix on it made me think there were worse things I could have bought :) A cut scene in GoW with Jormungandr speaking had me a bit worried that the bass would shake the place down :) I'll take a few more pictures if people want to see :)
That first Jormungandr encounter was one of the most thrilling and intimidating experience in gaming for me, the sheer detail, animation, scale and sound mix are simply terrifying yet mesmerizing.

Agreed. Was wondering if there was anyway or replaying the various cutscenes in the game? obviously there are videos on line, but they don't have the full 7.1 experience :(

I just make manual saves for those key areas right before I proceed them so that I can watch or replay the major bosses or cutscenes repeatedly :). This game really could benefit from a chapter select option like UC games tho.

So I just started the game. I'm not hooked right now... I find the controls not very intuitive, but I guess I'll adjust with time. Also, the effects are gorgeous, but I don't get all the noise about the graphics for now. Yeah it's nice, but the world is kind of "meh" for me, artistically.

Back