The Annual E3 Pre Hype, 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creating things or not, it's visually striking and a real stand-out, and E3 is all about the visuals and garnering attention. I'm a little more concerned that it's not testing well or there are many bugs still and they are working hard - something that complex is probably buggy - and might well be delayed.

I think the average consumer inclined to tune into E3 is going to be looking beyond "visually striking", which is really all Dreams has going for it to stand out. It is primarily a build-your-own type game which hasn't really worked out any mass kind of mass market going back as back as Gary Kitchen's Game Make, SEUCK, thru to LBP and Project Spark on today's consoles.

Because of the leaks at previous conferences. It was beyond a joke. This way they have control of it.
Weird. I must have memory issues. They’ve always in the past proceeded regardless. Leaks are, still unconfirmed rumours and lots leaks are fake.

E3 is where those rumours (dart board or true leaks) get verified, people still love it regardless. And I don’t think beyond outside hardcore forums are leaks taken seriously.

Don’t know, just seems weird to me that it would be like this. The commentary about hardware is also interesting, interesting that it could validate some theories over others. It definitely sounds like 'soonish'.

Last edited:
The commentary about hardware is also interesting, interesting that it could validate some theories over others. It definitely sounds like 'soonish'.
hmmm depends on what you mean by soonish.
For me it could mean it being shown and released in 2019 earliest, but also 2020.
Not showing anything new in 18 & 19 not a big deal as long as you actually have big games still coming out.
Show couple limited time exclusives (6 months) that aren't confirmed as such, will tide them over in 2019, alongside the couple first party that are due out that year also.
No need to pay over the odds for full exclusives at this point. 19 & 20 is still in the ball park that most think is release year.

This years E3 will definitely be interesting from the perspective of how MS and Sony will approach it, considering where both are first party wise

One of these days me and the kids are going to E3, we've all wanted to for years now but I keep trying to put it off until they're both 21.

How can I go to E3 and not hit every party I've ever been invited to plus a few more? And it's one of those rare and magical experiences for all three of us that I am looking forward to experiencing together. :)

Might take my daughter to SIGGRAPH this year. It's what she's in to and I think she'd have a ball at all she could learn, plus I'm pretty sure she can still go to a lot of interesting places still being only 18. Justin I'll take to a gaming hardware thing as that's more up our mutual alley, but E3 we could all find something interesting at even if it's just meeting people. That's still my favorite part of all these events, I always seem to meet someone I've known on the boards forever but never met in real life. It's weird to know someone who's a total stranger to you, but really nice! Aside from people you know, getting to know people is even easier! I've never met so many people willing to waste so much of their valuable time explaining things to me just because I was interested and it was so cool to see the pure passion they had when they'd get in to talking about it and they are just fantastic with advice.

I figure it's one of those things they have to experience to understand, like a Grateful Dead show. I can't do that with them for a number of reasons, (they don't drink, smoke, do drugs, and it's been over since Jerry left the realm of the living.), but this one is one we can all enjoy and I think it'll help motivate them/get their enthusiasm going to get started and do something with their lives...or at least find some things they'd like to try.

Sorry for the babble, just some truth. I know it's passe and old hand to most here, but I've still never been to an E3 and now that it's getting closer to being able to actually happen I keep getting more excited about each one! LOL

I'm always gonna be a perpetual newbie at something, I've found that accepting and embracing that helps me advance myself and there's so much new every day that I giggle myself silly when people start talking about understanding it all. With a few very noticeable exceptions who actually do, and I am just times floored by the difference in levels of in intelligence at times. In the area I live I'm considered extremely bright, but damn after meeting too many true geniuses it reminds you that everything is just relative.

(Did I mention I've been experimenting with CBD oil for my pains from my recent injuries? It's legal in Indiana now, but it's so damned hard to find actual good stuff that's of any quality so I tried some a friend of mine turned me on to. It's only 0.27% CBD and 1.78% CBN, but it makes me not worry about the pain so much at all! Oh it also has a "THC 86.72%" on it which I'm not too sure about how possible or legal that is, but I'm mainly trying it for the CBD and I think I like it.)

A quick job in PS. Get hyped!
1auq1g.jpg

hmmm depends on what you mean by soonish.
For me it could mean it being shown and released in 2019 earliest, but also 2020.
Not showing anything new in 18 & 19 not a big deal as long as you actually have big games still coming out.
That would be the crux of the theory I guess. If we see that new exclusives are being announced for PS4 in E3 2018, we know there is still some runway left for sure. If there are no new game announcements coming at all, and they focus only on what they have announced already, then it is not un reasonable to give a higher probability of a console arriving at early as 2019.

That would be the crux of the theory I guess. If we see that new exclusives are being announced for PS4 in E3 2018, we know there is still some runway left for sure.

There was a new PS3 exclusive announcement at E3 2012 and Sony announced PS4 the following February and launched nine months later in November 2013. I think most (all?) of Sony's first party studios are accounted for (in terms of known projects) so I would be surprised to see a genuinely new PS4 game announcement at this E3.

Sony's last three hardware devices (PS Vita, PS4 and PSVR) were announced at their own events with PS3 being the last E3 hardware announcement and I expect they'll continue to do this. As exciting as new hardware is, some of that excitement will be eroded in the noise of new games.

There was a new PS3 exclusive announcement at E3 2012 and Sony announced PS4 the following February and launched nine months later in November 2013. I think most (all?) of Sony's first party studios are accounted for (in terms of known projects) so I would be surprised to see a genuinely new PS4 game announcement at this E3.

Sony's last three hardware devices (PS Vita, PS4 and PSVR) were announced at their own events with PS3 being the last E3 hardware announcement and I expect they'll continue to do this. As exciting as new hardware is, some of that excitement will be eroded in the noise of new games.
Hehe. Was that GT5 ?
Interesting adds.

There is still a lot to look forward to. They don’t need to announce anything new as well.

We still yet to see actual gameplay footage from 3 of 4 of those deep dives. So they are at least from what we know today quite a bit ahead of where MS is with their titles and likely what will be shown.

I’m still confident that people will love the presentation, it’s just that the early agenda release does make it come across as a different E3 than those leading up to 2017 presentation.

I honestly don’t know what to expect from MS. I was expecting some things from BUILD but they never arrived so even from a platform perspective I don’t know what’s happening.

So, it looks like Bethesda is saying that the reason they revealed Rage 2 before E3 is that they have too much stuff to show at E3 that they had to show it now.

Makes me somewhat interested as to what Bethesda plans to show that would make them feel like they had to push Rage 2 to before the conference.

Regards,
SB

If they present an Elder Scrolls VI then the world will stop and no one will care about Rage 2.

There's also talks of a new Doom movie in production.

A good Elder Scrolls with proper online multiplayer (not Elder Scrolls Online junk) would be very welcome. Add VR as standard and it'd be a phenomenally appealing prospect for VR aficionados.

Why would it have to be turned into a live service? Make it like every other Elder Scrolls single player experience but where friends can join in. I don't think there's ever been a game like that. Coop fantasy games tend to be top-down hack-n-slashes. Other small-party coop games are invariably shooters. Most games that go for multiplayer go competitive or horrific MMO. A true ES game with coop would be awesome. One person could distract a shop keeper while the other nicks things, for example. Plenty of scope for meaningful classes (healer, sneak-thief) without having them forced or compromising the single-player experience.

Its still too early to show anything from MS 1st party, let it bake another year.
it could be a good time though, mainly because there are well informed rumours about what Sony is going to show saying it is just crap. So this year could be it

An Elder Scrolls with free drop-in/drop-out like e.g. Dying Light would be great in terms of out-of-the-box gameplay, but terrible to handle for all the insanely popular post-launch mods, mainly the non-cosmetic ones (which are the ones that go into consoles anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back