Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2018 - 2020]

The best bloom effects of the Xbox/PS2/GCN were found on the Wreckless games:

The second one had a more advanced HDR effect and ran at a higher resolution:

During replays it used more complex effects:

Presentations about them:
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/GDC2003_DSTEAL.ppt
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/GDC2004/GDC2004_PIoHDRR_EN.ppt

The basic 4-sample bloom algorithm is still used nowadays because it's very efficient. It's used in INSIDE for example.

Bloom is a simulation of what happens in optics with bright light sources. Used correctly, it adds a sense a brilliance. For example, it's essential for Infamous Second Son.
PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT2_56814.jpg

Without bloom, all those light sources would just look like flat, coloured shapes. When used badly, either not selectively applying to the highlights enough enough and blurring everything, or used deliberately as haze, bloom mostly washed out graphics.
Well, blooming due to fog/haze is a real thing:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/ptping_media/

As I've previously posted, SotC imitated it well. The PS2 version does it best, aided by the low resolution imposter rendering. SotC PS4 on the other hand doesn't even do bloom...

Not just during replays. You could unlock all the filters for gameplay use if you beat the game on Hard Mode + Heavy Traffic (I did :)).
You could unlock the "cinecam" for gameplay, too. Although it's hard to play the game that way.

The best bloom effects of the Xbox/PS2/GCN were found on the Wreckless games:

The second one had a more advanced HDR effect and ran at a higher resolution:

Presentations about them:
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/GDC2003_DSTEAL.ppt
http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/GDC2004/GDC2004_PIoHDRR_EN.ppt

The basic 4-sample bloom algorithm is still used nowadays because it's very efficient. It's used in INSIDE for example.

Well, blooming due to fog/haze is a real thing:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/CAVE/projects/ptping_media/

As I've previously posted, SotC imitated it well. The PS2 version does it best, aided by the low resolution imposter rendering. SotC PS4 on the other hand doesn't even do bloom...
Wreckless games were considered among the best OG Xbox powerhouses, along with Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, PGR games, Rallisport Challenge 2....

Talking of which, Eurogramer has a review talking spectacularly about Rallisport Challenge 2. What a game at the time, and all of that running at 60 fps!!
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_rsc2_x

i still have mine.
A colleague of mine had one back in 1999, and he defined it as "it was magic". Specially when he saw it running Virtua Racing.

Yes, body movement detection, internet access, online service, colored and lit up screens in handheld devices, portable TVs, stereoscopic 3D and maybe so many other things I cant remember, ...Sega tried so many things too early for their own good...the technology just wasnt ready for effective and cost efficient implementation. All of these are standard today
not to mention what could be considered the first video/TV streaming service in a console, which was that peripheral with an antenna to watch the TV for the Game Gear.

This same colleague had to be hospitalised when he was 15 and since he was a kid, the hospital's staff wanted him to be happy and have all the amenities, so he had his TV in the room xD along with his console, and his parents bought him videogames magazines during his stay there -about a month- and there was another kid besides him who had a Game Gear with the TV antenna. One of the days there was an important soccer match on the TV, and the other kid, his father and a friend of the kid asked my colleague to connect the Game Gear to his TV so they could see the match, to which he reluctantly agreed, but they could watch the soccer match that way and it's a rare usefulness.

Yeah now i remember. The nomad was US only and virtua racing was one of the few games that where région locked That's why i could not play it.

New DF Retro article, this time discussing the presentation of the original PSP and the Nintendo DS in the E3 2004, which shaped the future in some ways --even for mobile phones.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...g-e3-2004-playstation-portable-vs-nintendo-ds

Just downloaded the video using 4K Video Downloader 'cos I am on a metered connection and need to be careful with data usage, but it sounds promising.

What they mention in regards to the simplicity of the E3 presentations..., reminds me of the X360 presentation in the E3 2005. My favourite part of the presentation was when a girl was carrying a bag, which had the X360 inside, and placed it on some kind of pedestal. So simple, sooooo good...

On a different note, even today's interfaces of mobile devices have some resemblance to videogames.

I recently read a generalist programming book which has a chapter focused on teaching you how to program a simple game...

And the author mentions that today's devices interfaces and UIs very much resemble videogames in the way they look and put a lot of care in their (flashy) appearance. Thus the book had a whole chapter dedicated to it, with some interesting exercises.

Recently, I stumbled into a game called Ninja Hayate, the arcade version, and there is also a Mega CD version. So I started to compare both and it's incredible how bad the Mega CD version looks by comparison. I know the Mega CD was a haven for FMV games, but the colour depth seems to be 4 bits, 16 colors at the most. It looks horrible! I liked Road Avenger for the Mega CD, but if there was another version I think the Mega CD version would look bad by comparison.

Ninja Hayate (Arcade)

Ninja Hayate (Mega CD)

Night and day, imho. Not to mention those odd dots on the pixels...

New DF Retro video. It shows the differences between the initial Halo 2 trailer in the E3 2003 and the final game, what made the cut and what didn't. Halo 2 would become my first game on my first console. And it was so impressive -even casual friends loved things like the multiplayer mode, listening to other people and so on, it was so innovative at the time, the laughs were guaranteed-. I missed the trailer in 2003, since I was into PC gaming.

songs like this one, show why videogames are art. The song start at the 22 seconds mark in the video. This is one of the best arcade racing games to date, imho. Game cost me 70€ for the original Xbox, for whatever reason -at least where I purchased the game-, but that wasn't an expense, it was more like an investment.

Last edited:
songs like this one, show why videogames are art. The song start at the 22 seconds mark in the video. This is one of the best arcade racing games to date, imho. Game cost 70€ for the original Xbox, for whatever reason -at least where I purchased them-, but that wasn't an expense, it was more like an investment.

There was a 360 version called outrun online arcade I think. I have a copy I played last week, would love back compatible but it was pulled from the 360 store when the Fararri license went so it's doubtful it will ever reappear :(

Lovely game, simple premis but very well executed with enough little extras to add a layer of mastery required.

There was a 360 version called outrun online arcade I think. I have a copy I played last week, would love back compatible but it was pulled from the 360 store when the Fararri license went so it's doubtful it will ever reappear :(

Lovely game, simple premis but very well executed with enough little extras to add a layer of mastery required.
do you mean the original copy then? Or do you mean that you got the digital version and it got pulled off from the store?

those arcade racing games with a simple premise are usually the most fun. At least for me... I love Forza and very much envy PS owners for having GT, but as I said sometimes in the past, there is such a plethora of cars, the sense of achievement when you get a new car gets soon lost, a car just becomes another car in the collection. Sometimes I lose track of the cars I unlocked and bought.

My favourite racing games ever are Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit for the PC, and Ridge Racer 64. They have very few cars, but there is some mystery behind every car you unlock, and the "final bosses" certainly give you a sense of achievement like any other.

Another game that excels at that, unlocking good cars, secret and peculiar cars, etc, is Diddy Kong Racing by Rare, super addictive!

It was the arcade digital release, but the license issue would affect the physical copies also, it would not be simple to get BC support as they have to republish and currently do not have the licenses to do so :/

DK racing is awesome. I watched the speed run recently, it's amazing how they deconstruct games and make them look easy.

It was the arcade digital release, but the license issue would affect the physical copies also, it would not be simple to get BC support as they have to republish and currently do not have the licenses to do so :/

DK racing is awesome. I watched the speed run recently, it's amazing how they deconstruct games and make them look easy.
on which channel? I am subscribed to Games Done Quick but taking into account the metered connection I have now and that I checked but haven't seen Diddy Kong Racing in their videos list...makes me think that maybe you are talking about a different youtube channel

on which channel? I am subscribed to Games Done Quick but taking into account the metered connection I have now and that I checked but haven't seen Diddy Kong Racing in their videos list...makes me think that maybe you are talking about a different youtube channel

It was from them but the video.I watched was from the speed runs archive

It's not a new one but I saw a progression on mariokart choco mountain on summaning salts channel and searched out a few classics from the time.

It was from them but the video.I watched was from the speed runs archive

It's not a new one but I saw a progression on mariokart choco mountain on summaning salts channel and searched out a few classics from the time.
nice, thanks, watched the video already, and there is another one where they beat the game in 38 minutes or so.

DK Racing is sooooo fun. My only gripe with it, is not an issue with the game, but the way you can play it via emulation. Contrary to other games, you can't increase the framerate, it is totally fixed. The way to unlock it is made via the emulator but the framerate goes absolutely awry, running like 10-20 faster the original framerate, is like a Fast Forward button on steroids, which makes it unplayable -except if you are able to see anything...- so you are stuck with the low original framerate.

Btw, this is the original video of that incredible song I've shared in a previous video.

When the female voice says "Checkpoint" (is it? it also sounds like checkout to me. Any native can discern?), I fall in love.

Back