Rage 2 [PS4, XO]

Soooo, Bethesda have tagged Avalanche Studios to make Rage 2.

That's an interesting choice. Looks like it may be in the spirit of the Just Cause games.

Regards,
SB

I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun to play, really enjoyed the first one. Sincerely hope the texturing system is improved though. It had gorgeous visuals marred by limitations of the technology but seemingly id6 has solved or at least greatly improved on this.

Wonder if they'd be able to hit 60fps on console. :confused: Are Avalanche even using idtech6? Figured it'd be like a total conversion mod of Mad Max ( to be reductive :p).

I only managed to get halfway through the first game, but this looks a lot more comedic.

Don't dig the art style too much but at least it looks kinda fun. Still got that bad taste from the first one so hope they show us a nice walkthrough this E3.

I'm really curious as to whether they are continuing to use their own engine (Avalanche Engine) or whether they are using the latest iDtech engine.

Regards,
SB

The game may end up great, but this trailer is terrible, and terribly annoying.

EDIT: it seems there are two trailers now, and the one I disliked was the original teaser with live-action stuff:

Wonder if they'd be able to hit 60fps on console. :confused: Are Avalanche even using idtech6? Figured it'd be like a total conversion mod of Mad Max ( to be reductive :p).

I only managed to get halfway through the first game, but this looks a lot more comedic.
Yeah it raises interesting questions regarding engine used/modficiations-optimisations and how this compares cross platform between both consoles and on PC, and when considering post processing effects.

Wiki and a few other places suggested it was going to be id Tech6 (maybe speculation as those also reported by id Software), but like you infer their expertise is with the Avalanche engine.

Last edited:
The visuals in the trailer look somewhat promising. I'm lightly interested, maybe.

Was playing Destiny 2 and on Mars I think it kinda has a Rage motiff.

*Avalanche's engine.
Avalanche being the studio behind this game, which had previously developed tbe Mad Max open world game.
ok thanks, I wonder about the potential of the engine. The original engine of Rage was a big fuss, 'cos it was developed by Carmack, or using megatexture..

ok thanks, I wonder about the potential of the engine. The original engine of Rage was a big fuss, 'cos it was developed by Carmack, or using megatexture..

Sorry some would call it Avalanche Engine but it has evolved quite a bit with Mad Max/Just Cause 3 with APEX, one interesting aspect is meant to be the improvement to AI along with various visual processes such as with theHunter:Call of the Wild by Avalanche Studios.
Not my type of game and more of a simulator but seems pretty great from an engine perspective.

Blog on the AI side using APEX with theHunter: Call of the Wild: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Kar..._Designing_Believable_Simulated_Animal_AI.php
Not much on the rendering side for the engine evolution but it is beautiful and detailed open world.

Last edited:
Looking great. This will be my preferred shooter instead of Doom Eternal.

Back