God of War [PS4, PC]

Oh, I am so not sure about this game. I find it amazing that it has received so many stellar reviews, but I absolutely adored GoW3 and everything that I have seen of this new one doesn't really excite me. Seeing Kratos walking around with a kid just seems so wrong. No offense to those that like it, but IMO this just isn't GoW. It should be pure rage, all the way.

Describing GOW as “Kratos walking around with a kid” is the very definition of missing the point. As for rage, there is a whole lot of it from beginning to end!

Describing GOW as “Kratos walking around with a kid” is the very definition of missing the point. As for rage, there is a whole lot of it from beginning to end!
I presume you mean the QTEs like Kratos and boy in ASDA and the boy raging that he wants sweets? And later the boy raging he has to stop playing Fortnite and do his homework?

Oh, I am so not sure about this game. I find it amazing that it has received so many stellar reviews, but I absolutely adored GoW3 and everything that I have seen of this new one doesn't really excite me. Seeing Kratos walking around with a kid just seems so wrong. No offense to those that like it, but IMO this just isn't GoW. It should be pure rage, all the way.

I agree. The new game is definitively not a GOW game. And even after completing it directly 17h after I bought it (yes, I did like it a lot), I am still not sure if I am happy with this game/direction/reboot or not. As you, I am a really big fan of GOW3...and the new game is completely different.

I agree. The new game is definitively not a GOW game. And even after completing it directly 17h after I bought it (yes, I did like it a lot), I am still not sure if I am happy with this game/direction/reboot or not. As you, I am a really big fan of GOW3...and the new game is completely different.

I adored GOW3. Finished it I don’t even know how many times. Yet I was looking at some videos of it on YouTube during the weekend and my god it has aged badly.

I may be a bit over my head with what i am about to post (again, i clearly havent played it yet and am simply judging it from what i have seen), but IMHO far too many modern games are going for that story driven movie-hollywood blockbuster kind of spectacle.

The Tomb Raider reboot feels exactly like that too.

GoW3 might look dated, but it had some of the best gameplay mechanics of any game. I could care less about the story, the game was extremely fun and challenging to play. In my opinion, that was the gem of GoW1 to 3.

I think it’s a big shame all (many/most) games are turning into the same story driven interactive movie thingy.

When I wrote ‘dated’ I didn’t mean the obvious fact that it looks dated, graphically. That’s a given.

The issue is that it feels dated, from the way it plays (that camera!!) to the dialogue (so crass) and pretty much everything. Great game but we have all evolved and grown up, and so did some games. Thank god!

As for story-driven, the old GOW games were just as ‘story driven’ as the last one. The only difference is that they were basic as f’ck, all you get is angry Kratos going round killing everyone for no real apparent reason, and characterisation which was at times comical for all the wrong reasons.

The amount of ‘story’ is the same. But this time it’s so, soooo much better.

Please just try the game. The reviews are right.

It’s just so ironic to me to sort of bash the new GOW for being ‘story driven’ when all the old ones had just as much exposition and ‘story’ as this one. Only before it was just rubbish, and now it’s beautifully written and executed.

I wasn't bashing. I was adding my opinion on why this new GoW reboot isn't appealing to me, so far. The style seems very different and that style that this new game is going for isn't what I was hoping for, speaking as the very big GoW fan of the previous games that I am. No doubt it's a great game. The new Tomb Raider(s) are too, but speaking as a fan of the old games, they are not Tomb Raiders, just as much as this new game doesn't scream GoW to me.

PS: I don't entirely understand the criticism towards the camera of the older GoW games. They were perfect for the art of combat the game offered. Camera usually top down or at a greater distance for perfect overview battling crazy amounts of enemies. The closer view from behind wouldn't work in the old games for most gameplay situations found there. Having just watched numerous gameplay videos of this new GoW and I think it's quite evident the gameplay is nothing like the old games. Slow-paced fighting vs. fast paced fighting/moving about the battle area.

YouTube all GOW3 cutscenes = 2 hours

YouTube all GOW4 cutscenes = 3 hours

I think Phil's criticism is really that the gameplay has changed significantly, and he liked the old gameplay and wanted more of the same; all other criticisms really just hang off that and probably wouldn't be raised if the gameplay was fundamentally the same. That tends to happen with reboots - you gain some new fans and lose some old ones if you mess with the formula.

I may be a bit over my head with what i am about to post (again, i clearly havent played it yet and am simply judging it from what i have seen), but IMHO far too many modern games are going for that story driven movie-hollywood blockbuster kind of spectacle.

The Tomb Raider reboot feels exactly like that too.

GoW3 might look dated, but it had some of the best gameplay mechanics of any game. I could care less about the story, the game was extremely fun and challenging to play. In my opinion, that was the gem of GoW1 to 3.

I think it’s a big shame all (many/most) games are turning into the same story driven interactive movie thingy.
GoW is more cinematic and story-driven, sure. But that does not mean the gameplay/combat has been compromised... far from it. It is different for sure, but it is a huge improvement IMO. It's deeper and more strategic, rather than being a mindless hack and slash game. It is a more complete package and one of the best single player experiences I've played. It was the combat that I really enjoyed, but I was not the biggest fan of the combat in the previous titles tbh.

If you do ever play it, the game does start a bit slow. Once you unlock new moves and abilities, the combat really opens up.

I also think that it would be a spoiler to reveal how the combat really changes in a major way at one very important and poignant point. Any GOW lover would be amazed at that moment, as nothing after that point was shown on any trailers, reviews or anything, and for good reason! Remember that many, many things have not been shown or mentioned so as not to spoil anything.

GoW is more cinematic and story-driven, sure. But that does not mean the gameplay/combat has been compromised... far from it. It is different for sure, but it is a huge improvement IMO. It's deeper and more strategic, rather than being a mindless hack and slash game. It is a more complete package and one of the best single player experiences I've played. It was the combat that I really enjoyed, but I was not the biggest fan of the combat in the previous titles tbh.

If you do ever play it, the game does start a bit slow. Once you unlock new moves and abilities, the combat really opens up.

More tactical maybe, but deeper? That's a bit of a stretch. You can do some pretty crazy stuff with Hermes' boots for example. The new game is entirely missing that airial dimension as well. And it's really just a mindless masher on lower difficulties. The new one is too. Spamming arrows and axes while mashing R1 will absolutely get you through normal mode.

I think Phil's criticism is really that the gameplay has changed significantly, and he liked the old gameplay and wanted more of the same; all other criticisms really just hang off that and probably wouldn't be raised if the gameplay was fundamentally the same. That tends to happen with reboots - you gain some new fans and lose some old ones if you mess with the formula.
Man I cant believe GOW3 looks so great even today. It easilly competes in many ways some of the current best games visually

The new God of War is like 3 or 4 times longer than 3.

When I wrote ‘dated’ I didn’t mean the obvious fact that it looks dated, graphically. That’s a given.

The issue is that it feels dated, from the way it plays (that camera!!) to the dialogue (so crass) and pretty much everything. Great game but we have all evolved and grown up, and so did some games. Thank god!

As for story-driven, the old GOW games were just as ‘story driven’ as the last one. The only difference is that they were basic as f’ck, all you get is angry Kratos going round killing everyone for no real apparent reason, and characterisation which was at times comical for all the wrong reasons.

The amount of ‘story’ is the same. But this time it’s so, soooo much better.

Please just try the game. The reviews are right.

Not many custscene and you continue to have some over tht top set piece, fight... But much better story but not too intrusive and much better gameplay with a very deep combat system... I ply in give me a challenge for my first playthrough...

Without playing the game talk about the gameplay is meaningless...

And God of Wat is probably 2 to 3 times longer than GOW3 doing only the main story, platinium the game is 4 to 5 times longer than God of War 3...

Last edited:
Well, to be honest: the new GOW game for me is not story driven enough!!! I am at the absolute opposite camp as you guys?!?

GOW3 was super dense...no stop action, story, progression, over the top boss fights (missing!!), kill, move on, kill, chat a bit, kill, kill and then move on to kill a bit more.

Open world games all(!) imo have a pacing problem in their main narrative. It is "easy" to get distracted with all the things you can do in side quests. That is why I typically only play the main missions, as then I can experience the main story in a decent pace.

In addition to the story narrative aspects, the gameplay of course completely changed. Which is also something I am not 100% sure about. Doesn't mean I do not like it, or it is bad in the new game (actually, it is very very well made). However, it is a complete reboot of the franchise...and it of course feels completely different. But I can also see London Boy's argument about GOW3 feeling a bit dated...

Well, as I said, still undecided if I am happy about it or not :D

PS: Phil, you should definitively try it!! It is after all an exceptional good game. And it has amazing references to the old games. And focusing on the story it self...it is an amazing one!!

Thanks Billy, I will.

As I said, I have absolutely no doubt it's an epic game. Just not an epic GoW game (but something new). The pretty graphics and the marvelous technical achievement doesn't change that, to me.

I have to say though - what you wrote about GoW3 is precisely what I loved so much about it too. The non-stop action packed roller-coaster ride from beginning to end, fighting incredible hordes of enemies and then being blown away by epic boss fights. It reminded me so much of games I grew up with that had that same level-level-boss-level-level-boss feel.

I don't mind open-world games, but I'm also getting tired of them. The Rise of the Tomb Raider is boring me to hell and as much as I'm a fan of Metal Gear Solid, the open-world of the latest one killed it. I appreciate open-world for games like Witcher, GTA and others, but it doesn't mean I want every game out there to have one. And IMO, this is exactly what these new games are turning into. Aside of the story and some differing game mechanics, what is so different about this new GoW then say Horizon Zero Dawn?

Back