Formula 1 - 2017 Season

New for the 2018 thread ....
AMD Sponsor of Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Team This Year
Scuderia Ferrari revealed its F1 car for the new 2018 season; the SF71H shines all bright and not surprisingly, in Ferrari red. The PC aficionado might have noticed something at the lower nose-cone of the of the car, there is an AMD logo present.
Not that surprising, they've been sponsoring Ferrari for several seasons before and now that the company is starting to gain momentum and turn profit they return to it. They were absent from Ferrari (at least visible logos on car) 2014-2017

While waiting for the new season thread, at least on first tests Toro Rosso's Hondas didn't blow up and Brendon Hartley was faster than Alonso on McLaren-Renault (who also spun once early in the morning due poorly tightened nut on rear tyre, which led to tyre flying off mid-lap)
Now fingers crossed that Honda+Toro Rosso combo works, engines don't blow up and stay competitive - nothing would beat the feeling of hearing Alonso cry on team radio about Hondas passing him left and right :LOL:

late edit: McLaren-Honda > -Renault, obviously

Last edited:
While waiting for the new season thread, at least on first tests Toro Rosso's Hondas didn't blow up and Brendon Hartley was faster than Alonso on McLaren-Honda (who also spun once early in the morning due poorly tightened nut on rear tyre, which led to tyre flying off mid-lap)
Now fingers crossed that Honda+Toro Rosso combo works, engines don't blow up and stay competitive - nothing would beat the feeling of hearing Alonso cry on team radio about Hondas passing him left and right :LOL:
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

While we wait for @Dave Baumann here's a Force India (weren't they supposed to change their name this season?) with snow chains

a70b6a00-b853-4962-a229-bc0db18d633b_800.jpg

Maybe Liberty Media is planning new, F1 Winter Championships to boost viewing figures :D
I miss F1 in winter and watching F1 cars trying to race on icy track should be hilarious!

I think Adrian Newey's experience designing hydrofoil catamarans could come into play here if the F1 cars are fitted with skates and sails.

What's the consensus on Sky's F1 coverage? Because that's what we're getting this year in the US, and I'm already annoyed that they've glossed over the close up shots of the insane front wing and even sideview mirror details of the cars parked in the garage, instead blathering on about not being to see the driver's face. I can't believe I'm in for another season of nontechnical analysis for a sport dubbed "engineered insanity." Where's Gary Anderson?!

One car has...vanes? ridges? caltrops? on their halo, which apparently tore clean through a driver's suit when exiting. Seems odd that they wouldn't decree a safety device a no development zone.

What's the consensus on Sky's F1 coverage? Because that's what we're getting this year in the US, and I'm already annoyed that they've glossed over the close up shots of the insane front wing and even sideview mirror details of the cars parked in the garage, instead blathering on about not being to see the driver's face. I can't believe I'm in for another season of nontechnical analysis for a sport dubbed "engineered insanity." Where's Gary Anderson?!

One car has...vanes? ridges? caltrops? on their halo, which apparently tore clean through a driver's suit when exiting. Seems odd that they wouldn't decree a safety device a no development zone.

Sky's F1 coverage is the top coverage there is or has ever been on F1. It's the one Formula 1 has used on their own clips in YouTube if there's commentary on the video etc. They've apparently also had some special rights, since the "international signal" used by most at least used to be max 720p while Sky has had 4K for few seasons already.
It's also the one many Fnns including me watch using questionable streaming sources because our local F1 broadcaster is not only ridicilously expensive to watch, but also sucks.

Also, since wavey hasn't been around: https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/formula-1-2018-season.60676/

Sounds like I'm in for a treat, then, though it'd take a lot to topple BBC's Humphries-Anderson heyday.

Sounds like I'm in for a treat, then, though it'd take a lot to topple BBC's Humphries-Anderson heyday.
I did lie a bit though, since I'm not sure if anyone ever can get on the level of Murray Walker (or in Finland Matti Kyllönen, don't deny it fellow finns, you know you like it!).

Wow, there's no 2018 topic? This is shaping up to be a pretty much epic season. I would have guessed there's at least a topic around here... :$

Lol. I dont get it. Help. :D

To my defense, i havent been logged on in a loooooong time.... :oops:

Edit: OMG. I figured it out. I guess i’ll have to accept that reward then.... :oops:

BUT to my defense, i cant remember why i had Kaotik on ignore and i wasnt aware entire topics would disappear............. no hard feelings Kaotik. :-*

Last edited:
Back