Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

1) The Lenovo Mirage says otherwise.

2) That's why I say a system like the current PSVR would be fine: it requires line of sight with the camera. I suggest building the transmission hardware into the camera, so as long as you can be tracked, you can have the image transmitted.

4) Yup, it would be fairly expensive. I think staggering the release of it and the PS5 would be wise: 2019 PSVR2 and 2020 PS5 or vice versa.

Perhaps two tiers would be viable?

I'll carry on later: just got to work.

1) The Lenovo Mirage says otherwise.

2) That's why I say a system like the current PSVR would be fine: it requires line of sight with the camera. I suggest building the transmission hardware into the camera, so as long as you can be tracked, you can have the image transmitted.

4) Yup, it would be fairly expensive. I think staggering the release of it and the PS5 would be wise: 2019 PSVR2 and 2020 PS5 or vice versa.

Perhaps two tiers would be viable?

I'll carry on later: just got to work.

1) people are reporting issues with the tracking.
2)You can but the costs will be increased and I am not sure if usb will be able to handle the data from both the camera and wireless cast
4)could be

They also need to put some serious work into their controllers. Move is easily the worse part of the psvr

Doubt we'll get any direct headset news, but there some interesting VR displays being shown at SID in the next week or so. There's at least three that'll be over 1000ppi, so more than double currently displays.

Doubt we'll get any direct headset news, but there some interesting VR displays being shown at SID in the next week or so. There's at least three that'll be over 1000ppi, so more than double currently displays.

Sharp had VR ,LCD's over 1000 , ~2 years ago.

Epson has Ultimicron LCD in viewfinders with >3000 for way longer.

The news theres LTPS instead of IGZO, something Ultimicron had like , forever.

Last edited:
I got my Oculus Go a few days ago, and here’s my first impression:

Good:
- no wires
- easy to set up
- easy to wear, relatively glasses friendly
- good resolution, almost no screen door
- really cheap
- good for watching video

Bad:
- underpowered, games are generally in lower resolution
- built-in audio is not closed, means people around you could hear it
- small battery capacity
- no SD card slot makes side loading video less practical

To summarize, I think this is best used for watching movies (VR or not). While there’re some good games and interactive experiences, the hardware is not powerful enough IMHO.

mine shipped today. Nice piece of hardware, for the price it's actually quite good. Screen has better res than PSVR, but overvall OLED still wins.
It's pretty light and is easily forgotten, tried some videos and free apps, 3D effect is here, IQ can be good in some apps

And my first VR pr0n experience was quite amazin i must admit ^^

8zszRm.jpg

i must commend Sony for forcing devs to never drop any frame in their PSVR games, because there are some free stuff i tried on oculus go which dropped frames and it's very disturbing in VR.

after spending some more time with a few games, i'd say graphical fidelity may lie around vita level, but at higher res and framerate, i'm quite impressed by the IQ of unreal engine games, there is little to no jaggies, combined with the good res of the screen, it looks really sharp and clean in the headset, i'd say at least as sharp as wipeout PSVR. And 60/72fps seems to work great with no ghosting.

Anyone know of a way to move around (and jump) in games without actually doing either? This wheelchair is a bitch and most VR stuff forces you to flail about...also not terribly impressed with the Rift's image quality.

That ultramicon is tiny and 1400x1050 resolution. So yeah, high PPI but not appropriate for a VR display. The question was asked as to what it cost to have a VR capable 1000+ ppi display with significant resolution, as the insinuation was the tech existed years ago and was viable for consumer products.

Refresh rate in LCD-s depends on response time, which in turn is TFT specific, with suitable driver even thick, usually relatively slow high viscosity material can be fast response, and vica versa.

They used tiled microdisplays for VR in the past most famously Sensics, also it was a proposal by Nvidia researchers as a solution to resolution requirements of lightfield displays. Ultimicron is special among microdisplays because its non-CMOS backplane -but TFT and those can be made large without tiling. Same as the google /LG's mythical 18MP OLED.

I suppose going after Ultimicron can be safer bet to JDI than developing for VR market alone.

Back