Windows 10 [2018]

Something annoying about new version: I use Dvorak keyboard layout & not US English, normally I delete US English Language to ensure no accidental switch to QWERTY (& because the Language bar goes away when there is only one language installed) but it won't let me this time which is damn frustrating.
I did find where to disable the Language bar but earlier today managed to accidentally switch to QWERTY which was annoying.
Subsequently have switched the Keyboard for US English to Dvorak which mainly fixes that but I still don't want the thing to have a 2nd language to switch to.

For me it's still under „Region & language“, where I can add a language and remove it as well.

You must first de-select the respective language as displayed language as well before you can remove it. This is probably new. When I added english to my default german yesterday, I needed to de-select english as system language as well as display language before logging off and on again. After that I could remove it. Don't know though if Dvorak Keyboard layout has it's own system language... probably not.

Microsoft Under Fire for Re-Installing Windows 10 Bloatware After Every Update
A discussion thread on reddit has more than 1,000 comments, many of which are blaming Microsoft for what most call a super-aggressive strategy to promote games and apps that nobody would have cared about otherwise.

This time, it all started after the April 2018 Update re-installed a series of games which users previously removed, including Bubble Witch 3 Saga and Candy Crush Saga. It’s not a secret that many Windows 10 users uninstall these games when upgrading their systems to Windows 10 or perform a clean install, but the recently-launched April 2018 Update brings them back and makes it harder to get rid of them.
https://news.softpedia.com/news/mic...-10-bloatware-after-every-update-521102.shtml

Wait what? Bloatware would imply that it is running in the background taking up system resources. AFAIK, none of the pre-installed games do that?

In which case, people are just desperately in need of recovering the ~214 MB of Candy Crush and ~300 MB of Bubble Witch 3 Saga?

So, all that kerfuffle over ~0.5 GB? I guess that would be significant if trying to run Windows 10 on a 32 or 64 GB SSD?

Regards,
SB

Wait what? Bloatware would imply that it is running in the background taking up system resources. AFAIK, none of the pre-installed games do that?

In which case, people are just desperately in need of recovering the ~214 MB of Candy Crush and ~300 MB of Bubble Witch 3 Saga?

So, all that kerfuffle over ~0.5 GB? I guess that would be significant if trying to run Windows 10 on a 32 or 64 GB SSD?

Regards,
SB
Not the point. The point is that Microsoft doesn't care about the choices their users make and "helpfully" (patronisingly) restore defaults and removed features.

Not necessary trying to pick nits, but the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 (Windows 10" AnyPen model) I use for data logging / self-tuning my Mazda MX-5 only came with a 32GB SSD. After installing Win10, Office 365, my various tuning tools and saving a bunch of logs, finding a half-gig of free space is kinda useful. At the same time, I've never found it difficult to remove those silly add-ons, certainly not to the point of partaking in a lawsuit. And I've since slapped in a 64GB MicroSDXC for all my user data / logs, which is backed up to OneDrive.

Now, if I were to hop up on my privacy advocate horse, I'd be generally pissed about all those "share this with MS" defaults being re-instantiated without telling me about it. However, at the same time I generally DGAF and let it all flow anyway. The only time I've seen an advert (so far as I'm aware) is that stupidity where Edge will crop up and tell you how it's better than Chrome, during your first use of Chrome. It's dumb and annoying, but whatever -- I've never had it come back again after the first go-round.

I also recognize that my lack-of-Effs opinion is not constant across all humans, so I understand why others do not appreciate MS behavior in this matter.

If you absolutely have to use Windows then use LTSB or (LTSC now I guess). Never worrying about MS pushing new """"""features"""""" for you to beta test is about the best you can ask at the moment.

If you absolutely have to use Windows then use LTSB or (LTSC now I guess). Never worrying about MS pushing new """"""features"""""" for you to beta test is about the best you can ask at the moment.
Problem is a lot of what MS is pushing is not new features .... just bloat, software updates and patches that you just don't need to screw up your perfectly operating computer.

Problem is a lot of what MS is pushing is not new features .... just bloat, software updates and patches that you just don't need to screw up your perfectly operating computer.

Yep.

I get the business direction MS is going with Windows but they could stop being assholes and give powerusers a reasonable chance at a long term branch without jumping through flaming VL hoops even if they have to pay a (reasonable) premium. But no, they are just going to continue to be assholes about it. Until further notice I always say if you MUST use Windows 10 then get LTSB by any means possible, else you are going to go through these "feature" debacles every single time.

Whether you are on a metered connection or not (I am), I wanted to share how to reduce internet data usage, which is always a good thing, because these tips have been working wonders for me! I am on a 30/40 MB/s connection and most of the time my network usage is 0 KB/s upload and 0 KB/s download, :oops::oops:which is a feat these days. (you can see that in the Task Manager --> Performance --> Wifi.

Below that you can find the Open Resource Monitor utiliy, which is amazing for knowing in detail which process or program is taking up network resources or whatever.

So, no updates without your consent, no internet usage at all when you don't use it, no telemetry and no data usage -disabling Office Click To Run also helps, btw-.

https://merabheja.com/internet-data-usage-in-windows-10/ (IMPORTANT: reduce internet data usage to almost 0 levels)

https://www.askvg.com/beginners-guide-to-configure-windows-10-services/ (no telemetry and spy crap taking up connection resources)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3077502/stop-wake-timers-windows.html (stop wake up timers, so your computer can sleep peacefully)

A clean bootup also helps, of course, I have only enabled Defender and nVidia settings.

Actually the main thing MS are pushing are security updates. These other things are smaller things. Candy Crush and Bubble Witch Saga 3 are likely being re-enabled/installed due to licensing agreements with King/Activision that keep updates to Windows free as AFAIK, the current plan at MS is that once you have Windows, you should never have to pay for Windows again on that machine if it is OEM. And for retail buyers with a retail key, any version of Windows (I've migrated my version of Windows 10 Pro to different machines as I have a retail key, although I have to contact MS each time I do it).

And then outside of that, MS keep implementing features to either improve accessibility for disabled people (they invest a massive amount of money into that) or to make the OS more attractive as the competition isn't going to stop adding features either. If they fail to add support for VR/AR, for example, they risk becoming irrelevant in the future if those technologies take off.

But by and large, security updates are the bulk of new things that are added to Windows over time. And the main reason that MS started to force updates is because of the absurd number of Windows Machines which hadn't been updated that were compromised and part of massive botnets. Often compromised months/years after a security patch had closed the security hole that was exploited on those machines.

The fact that they allow corporate IT staff the luxury of delaying patches is also the main reasons that, for example, the UK health industry got nailed so hard relatively recently. The security hole that allowed ransomware to be installed on so many of their machines had been patched months earlier. Had the patch been installed, they likely wouldn't have been compromised and wouldn't have lost so much customer health data.

Regards,
SB

For privacy advocates, it looks like MS is rolling out GDPR settings worldwide instead of only within the EU.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...-style-gdpr-rights-over-how-we-use-your-data/

Regards,
SB

As a small aside, the GDPR is a huge blessing from the EU. It is not just about privacy either, but also data portability ... thanks to the data portability clause for instance, I can now download every bit of data I generated on Facebook as html or json for instance, with all photos, videos, posts, comments, etc, which is fantastic.

Actually the main thing MS are pushing are security updates. These other things are smaller things. Candy Crush and Bubble Witch Saga 3 are likely being re-enabled/installed due to licensing agreements with King/Activision that keep updates to Windows free as AFAIK, the current plan at MS is that once you have Windows, you should never have to pay for Windows again on that machine if it is OEM. And for retail buyers with a retail key, any version of Windows (I've migrated my version of Windows 10 Pro to different machines as I have a retail key, although I have to contact MS each time I do it).

And then outside of that, MS keep implementing features to either improve accessibility for disabled people (they invest a massive amount of money into that) or to make the OS more attractive as the competition isn't going to stop adding features either. If they fail to add support for VR/AR, for example, they risk becoming irrelevant in the future if those technologies take off.

But by and large, security updates are the bulk of new things that are added to Windows over time. And the main reason that MS started to force updates is because of the absurd number of Windows Machines which hadn't been updated that were compromised and part of massive botnets. Often compromised months/years after a security patch had closed the security hole that was exploited on those machines.

The fact that they allow corporate IT staff the luxury of delaying patches is also the main reasons that, for example, the UK health industry got nailed so hard relatively recently. The security hole that allowed ransomware to be installed on so many of their machines had been patched months earlier. Had the patch been installed, they likely wouldn't have been compromised and wouldn't have lost so much customer health data.

Regards,
SB
Having security updates and feature updates mashed together in the same install, which incidentally behaves as a totally new OS install, makes this even more of a hassle. IMHO Microsoft has exacerbated the issue of people not installing security updates by doing this.

Windows 10 1803 (RS4) introduced a fix for a z-order issue in remoteapps but also introduced a new bug where remoteapps are really slow (unusable) and a new z-order issue. We have to tell people to roll back to 1709.

Back