Battletech

Regarding indirect LRM fire to cause stability (via tactics-sensor lock).
Does the instability counter clear-reduce once the mech moves?
Point being is it that useful if one cannot get enough stability hits against the mech before it moves, which seems likely if indirect.

Also how do you guys feel about replayability interest and trying other mech configuration-options and different character skills.
Thanks

If they activate and move, the stability goes down, but it's not removed completely unless they brace. And i think they usually loose the "unstable".

I often make sure to target a mech that has already moved, or i look at the initative, and if i see i have 2 mechs left (the lrm boat + something else) before enemy can activate something, i also often knock enemy over. But just knocking them over doesnt do _that_ much, so preferrably you want a couple of activations after it's knocked over, so you get free precision strikes.
Most often i use indirect fire, while one of my other mechs keep the target in LOS, instead of using an action on sensor locking. But it does vary.

It's still a fair amount of damage aswell as stability, so yeah, shooting something is usually worth it.

As for replayability, i'll definately replay the campaign atleast once more, though currently i'm still continuing on my first playthrough, exploring places that are locked off during the campaign.
One of the things i want to do is a playthrough were i collect every mech/variation in the game :)

Regarding indirect LRM fire to cause stability (via tactics-sensor lock).
Does the instability counter clear-reduce once the mech moves?
Point being is it that useful if one cannot get enough stability hits against the mech before it moves, which seems likely if indirect.

Also how do you guys feel about replayability interest and trying other mech configuration-options and different character skills.
Thanks

Gelanin covered most of the points regarding how stability gets removed.

Some points to add, however.

If you have higher initiative, by abusing reserve, you can get up to 8 attacks on an enemy mech in a round (if all 4 of your mechs have higher initiative than the enemy mech). Alternatively, you can put your highest initiative mech + pilot in your stability damage mech. Using reserve, you can use this pilot to always get 2 attacks versus an enemy mech before it can move.

Early game, I made sure my LRM boat was always the highest mech in the initiative order. Use Shadowhawk (high innate initiative) for the LRM boat (3 missle hardpoints, but one of them is only 1 slot) with only enough armor to withstand one shot :p. Some of the other medium mechs can more easily field high missle loadouts, but they come at the expense of speed and initiative order. Then I always reserved him in case I needed him to attack an enemy mech twice before it could act again or to use him after getting sensor lock with another pilot.

I usually use knockdown for mech salvage. It's the safest way to get full mech parts salvage on heavy and assault mechs as long as you use low damage/high stab. weapons. Depending on the order of initiative, you can knock down a mech twice in one round and then once each round after that. Depending on the guts of the pilot that can take between 2-4 rounds (enemy pilots with 5 wound points is pretty rare, but 4 wound points become fairly common later in game).

For quick mech takedowns, I either core the torso with called shot if I can do it in one shot or take out the legs for more salvage if it's going to take 2 shots or more to destroy the torso.

Alternative for quick/safe takedowns if you don't have the damage to take down mechs quickly (early to mid game depending on mission difficulty) is to target the side torsos. They generally have less armor and are relatively easy to hit with called shots. Ammo is also generally located there and you'll take out the attached arm. This will generally greatly reduce the damage potential of that mech and as a bonus destroying a torso results in a pilot injury. The drawback is that you'll lose a lot of salvage potential by doing this. Weapons get destroyed, less mech parts salvage, etc. But it's safe and allows you to take on more difficult missions early to mid game. Can be done relatively reliably with just Called Shot Bonus (relatively cheap to get).

Combine that with takedowns and you'll often quickly take out a mech by incapacitating the pilot if you don't destroy the mech first.

As to replayability, it all depends on how much you like the core gameplay loop (customization, experimentation, collection, field combat, etc.). I'm still playing in the same campaign despite finishing the story missions a few days ago. I want a Stalker and the random mech assignments in missions hasn't given me the opportunity to get one yet. AAAAUUUGGGHHHH! :D

I'm also thinking about restarting the campaign at some point and seeing how far I can get using only light mechs or only maximum medium mechs. I really like the idea of the Locust M variant using LRMs, but by the time I got one, I wasn't using light mechs anymore.

Regards,
SB

Thanks guys.
How much does reputation affect what can be found or price in the store/shop section in each region of the game?
No reviews have really touched on this mechanism, and hopefully it has enough influence to make it worthwhile to chase particular themes for reputation, one review mentioned going pirate opens alternative quest paths-options but not much I can see has been said.

Fingers crossed maybe they will add a NG+ mode.

As far as i know, it primarily allows some missions from that faction due to higher standing, and increases pay from missions, and you get discount from stores on planets of that faction.

As far as i know, it primarily allows some missions from that faction due to higher standing, and increases pay from missions, and you get discount from stores on planets of that faction.
So you did not notice it opening up more/better weapons in the store related to that faction-location?

I believe the planet tags decide what can spawn in the stores on the different planets.
Rich, manufacturing, star league are 3 of them, but i think there was 1 more Tag that affected it aswell.

It's my Game of the Year. Haven't delved too deep into the Flashpoints, but overall it's just a tremendous game.

Finally came back to this after beelining through RDR2. (That game Wtf! 10 more hours of play after the end of the game, for a second fucking ending. Fucking hell).
Shit at first after the tutorial missions I didn’t think that much of this game. But after salvaging and understanding the mechanics. Amazing game!

just working through the campaign now. Getting really addictive!

lost a pilot and mech when I attempted a DFA. Haha. Gotta use that sparingly.

Still learning all the little nuances. Is there any really point to having light tonnage? Vs a high speed medium tonnage mech? (Assuming sprint distance is about the same)

Still learning all the little nuances. Is there any really point to having light tonnage? Vs a high speed medium tonnage mech? (Assuming sprint distance is about the same)

Back at launch the main advantages were speed which allowed you to do things like hit and run or ECM. I know that since then the devs have adjusted a lot of things in the game to give more reason to use various tonnage mechs as well as make more than 1 or 2 mech skill trees actually good.

I should revisit this game again as I imagine the experience is going to be significantly different from launch just due to how they rebalanced mech pilot skills.

Regards,
SB

I've been sucked back in hugely this week after the final DLC launched. It was a great game at launch, but they've added so much richness, depth and variety with all the patches and add-ons. And they finally added a mech viewer which was sorely missing!

^^ yup. The new DLC is great. Brings back some serious robotech/macross memories as a kid.

several of my buddies have restarted campaigns now that all 3 expansions are out.
We do some skirmish here and there with the new mecha.
Overall it’s been a great game of mech chess. Still looking forward to seeing more; still hoping on a Clan invasion expansion.

Back