The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Spoilers Westworld last episode season 1/season 2:

You guys think Ford is really dead, or was it a copy of him who got brainsplattered by Dolores?

If that really was him, you think he committed suicide on purpose, essentially by proxy of his own creation, or did she sneak up on him unawares?

If it was on purpose, why did he do it you think? He seemed megalomaniacal and deranged; he had Bernard commit murder for him, multiple even. Was he so crazy he wanted his death to make some sort of a statement perhaps, or was it just to escape punishment for setting his horde of Frankenstein's monsters loose on every 'real' human in the park?

I haven't watched S02E02 yet, but in regards to the other bits:

I think Ford is really dead and he didn't really commit suicide so much as to arrange for the circumstances for Dolores to achieve consciousness through the bicameral mind and decide of her own free will to kill Ford...and in doing so he accomplished his goal of having granted a host true consciousness and the ability to decide its own fate for itself.

But I also think Ford uploaded a copy of his conscious or an incredible simulation of it somehow/where and he's gonna be the ghost in the machine throughout the park throughout the season.

Also, I never read the book but I remember seeing the original WestWorld and FutureWorld as a kid and rewatched 'em before the premier of the new series. The first one mainly dealt with an early 70s version of, "man is trying to play god by making machine toys in his image but there was a glitch (sabotage I believe) where the hosts all attacked the guests.

Futureworld had new, improved hosts who were indistinguishable from humans. There hidden agenda was to get the elite/rich/powerful/politicians to come to the park and they'd copy their memories/brains while they were sleeping and build host replacement bodies identical to theirs and program them with their personality and memories...but absolute loyalty/obedience to FutureWorld.

Fortunately a couple of reporters with some terrible 70's fashion sense discovered the plot and exposed it...but not before one of them was replaced! <BA-BA-daaaaaaaaaaaa!>
That's just from memory and I was between 8-12 I think when the movies came out, I remember being hella impressed by them at the time. :)

Started watching La Casa de Papel a.k.a. Money Heist on Netflix. It is really good so far, a bit like Ocean's Eleven but with way more complex characters, to the point where it is hard to pick who to vouch for (other than one character who is pretty much a cold evil bastard). Most episodes end in a cliff hanger, so it really drags you in.

Yesterday I began watching the old British series "The Avengers" on CHARGE! (Comcast channel). Always wanted to watch this again and luckily they started from beginning (2hrs/day). So Honor Blackman and Patrick Macnee are the primary actors for now. Not sure when Diana Rigg comes into the picture, but don't seem to remember many episodes with Honor Blackman.

Yesterday I began watching the old British series "The Avengers" on CHARGE! (Comcast channel). Always wanted to watch this again and luckily they started from beginning (2hrs/day). So Honor Blackman and Patrick Macnee are the primary actors for now. Not sure when Diana Rigg comes into the picture, but don't seem to remember many episodes with Honor Blackman.

That series was awesome along with Mission Impossible!

It's also the reason why Marvel's The Avengers was renamed to Avengers Assemble in Britain, wasn't it? This or the movie with Sean Connery in it.

Westworld S2:E3 continues at the same largely frantic pace headlong into thick mists of plot obscurity. It's starting to feel a little like Lost, as a thread has yet to crystalize. At this point in S1, we had one and characters had started pulling at it to reveal some hints of the Labyrinth, and odd happenings inside certain hosts and whatnot.

Now there's largely nothing more than disparate events taking place, people and hosts fighting, dying. Not really spoiler but for the sake of it:
Dolores is a fanatic now doing her thing but we don't know anything about why because she's not telling anyone, not even her gunslinger lover whatsisname. The former saloon mama, I forget her name, is out looking for her fake daughter, but this is more of a B-plot than anything overarching I'm betting. And William is out looking for his story that Ford allegedly created for him, but he isn't even in this episode so no advancement on that front.
I'm not complaining; not yet anyway. If E4 also comes and goes without a plot congealing I'll start to get a little worried though, as I assume the whole season is just 10 episodes like the previous one...

I think they are relying on plot gimmicks like Easter eggs, cultivating a lot of Reddit activity, etc.

My problem is that there are a lot of plausibility problems.

The business model is dubious and Delos is acting ridiculously. Their guests are being massacred and they're worried about retrieving IP? When the world finds out what's been going on, that IP won't be worth much.

Unless there's some larger plot to take over the world with sentient robots or something, by replacing powerful individuals with hosts.

Dolores' goal seems to be getting outside the park. OK, let's say she succeeds, then what? She's going to take over the world with 19th century revolvers and TNT? Next time humans confront hosts, it won't be with just hand weapons and fancy dune buggies without armor.

Syfy isn't renewing The Expanse for a fourth season! The Expanse is easily the best sci-fi television series ever. I mean that seriously. Yet its cerebral elements and largely reasonable physics (ships accelerate until they're halfway to their destination then flip around and slowly decelerate and they use bullets, missiles and rail guns rather than photon torpedoes for example) likely are a turn off for some.

Freaking Stargate has about a million seasons and as many spin-offs as Law and Order and it's complete shit!

Oh well. Hope somebody picks this one up.

Season 3 has been amazing so far.

Season 3 has been amazing so far.
Encouraging to hear. Makes me look forward even more to seeing it. You lucky bastard! :p

Oh, and BS on SyFy not renewing, btw. They have a great thing, reviews from fans and press alike that I've seen pretty much unanimously praise the series, and then not renew? What the fugg. Such BS. Like, HBO dropping The Sopranos after third season, for no particular reason it seems. Or if viewership is too low, well maybe not block the show abroad for more than half a year making most of the world pirate it instead of watching legit? *shrug* Just a suggestion, what the hell do I know. :p

It's like they want to kill a good thing, which is like, stupid as hell.

Really? The only shows that ever continue nowadays is CW crap.

From what I read, part of SyFy's issue is from piss-poor contract where they dont have any of the streaming rights to the show (The Expanse) so its extremely difficult (impossible even) for them to even begin to recoup their investment with the show's demographic (millenial or gen-xers) who have typically cut the cable-subscription cord.

From what I read, part of SyFy's issue is from piss-poor contract where they dont have any of the streaming rights to the show (The Expanse) so its extremely difficult (impossible even) for them to even begin to recoup their investment with the show's demographic (millenial or gen-xers) who have typically cut the cable-subscription cord.

Very true. I've no idea if they make money from me. I don't pirate, but I stream purchased episodes from iTunes (or Amazon of it's there, but I think it's iTunes)

Hmmm. Sorry to say, I'm personally not too bothered about the potential for the end of The Expanse TV show. Not a criticism of the show itself, but I read the books (which the show follows pretty closely), so it doesn't really matter to me that a show of the story is or isn't on!

However, I am encouraged by the current trend of shows based on adaptations of proper books. This ought to improve the quality of SF on TV because, let's face it, the market is tough and books which have become successful tend to be worth reading. With the odd exception here and there, of course.

Back