God of War [PS4, PC]

The question is whether on PS4 or PS5 :). A PS5 launch title using the improved engine with a 14tf level of graphics leap would be stuff of the dreams.

It’s definitely coming. It’s a question of when, and I really hope it won’t take too long.

Three years probably... They can't do less a reboot or a new franchise it its 5 years, when the engine is ready four years and a half Ghost of Tsushima, when need to find the concept and redesign the engine for open world 6 years Horizon Zero Dawn...

Just finished it now, what an amazing game. Naughty dog quality story if not better and gameplay with depth and lots of it.

Almost guaranteed that the sequel will be PS5.

Loving these Valkyrie fights. Probably took me 50+ tries to get the third one down (the one in the mountain) I suppose those are meant more as a post game challenge, but damn, is it ever satisfying to do it early.

I fully agree that Tessa Thompson was awesome in Thor Ragnarök. :yes:

Given Kratos has already levelled up to max three times in three previous adventures, is there a story explanation why he's a wimp starting at rung 1 again?

His abilities feel solid from the start. Not overpowering, but not underpowered as well.

Anyhow, like most video games, the previous game aspects like gameplay mechanics and story/lore, require the gamer to draw their own conclusion from previous canons of work. In this case, after defeating Zeus in the prior game, telling Athena to take a hike, and impaling himself with the sword Olympus... all Kratos godly powers ascended beyond the old god realm.

Finished the game. Honestly, i just want to replay the game at locked 60fps because the gameplay is so good that it deserves to be experienced in the best possible conditions.

I really like the feeling of progression in a game and they truly nailed it in God of War.

Last Valkyrie down. Took a while, but those were some amazing fights. A bit unfortunate they were entirely optional to be honest. In terms of gameplay, these fights just shat all over the mandatory boss battles. Good luck to anyone trying this on hard, let alone god-of-war mode. Even on normal, the final fight is absolutely grueling and requires almost flawless play for nearly 10 straight minutes. I'd say it was up there with the hardest souls bosses.

I'm also hereby gonna eat some crow because I was unreasonably harsh towards the game. Had a lot of fun with it overall. Still not convinced the rpg elements were a good thing, though. I would have preferred something akin to a classic Zelda/Darksiders structure where you'd find rewards and gear in specific places instead. It's just a much easier way to balance difficulty I'd imagine. The first 3 Valkyries I fould were incredibly challenging because I did the fights a good while before I finished the story. Then I did a bunch of end game stuff which powered me up to the point where the remaining five Valkyries damn near became pushovers. The final Valkyrie was definitely designed for end game gear so that one was really tough and satisfying thank god.

Finished the story !
One damn good game but the real "game" is all optional. Story mode is typical AAA "experience" but they did a great balance by providing slick gameplay and fights for "gamers" even if optional. I just couldnt stop playing all the side stuff and exploring those oh-so-intricately designed environments. Simple but very well designed. the satisfaction of exploring and unlocking rewards is perfect in this one. Only game since Witcher 3 where I just could not do story stuff cos I couldn't stop myself from exploring everywhere!

Thank Cory for making sure it wasn't another walkathon like other AAA games these days. Super tight gameplay ! Can't stress enough how happy I am that this game focussed on gameplay too and not just gfx and dialogues. I managed to stay completely spoilerfree and it paid off massively !
Fights with travellers were so damn cool, too k down two valkyries. Now going for Dwarven Armour and then to Nifiliem !
Best realised world since Destiny, best exploration since Witcher 3, most satisfying combat since Bloodborne ! and the story is so effective and yet so simple. All the father son beats ring so true, as a father of a 5 year old girl.

A wonderfull product of passion :love: ! Glad I bought this game and played it spoiler free. Thank you Cory and SSM, you guys trumped all Sony studios with this!

Just finished the game the other night.

I really liked it, but I'm not in love with it like everyone else. I liked the combat, the story, and art. However, I had a couple of negatives. One was the lack of enemy variety, especially the bosses. I wish there were more big fights in this game.

The other, and this may be a small thing but it really bothered me, was the climbing. I really hate climbing on highlighted ledges. It feels too much like busy work and its slow as hell. I hope they abandon that for the next installment.

I also finished it yesterday.

The game too often lead me to a point where you think you make progress (reach somewhere) but something happens and you have to do something else. This happened so often that at the end I could not enjoy the actual ending as I was expecting something to happen. Weird feeling.

AND I hate the ending because there was no Making-Of unlocked after finishing the main story - like in ANY other God of War game. :/ Major bummer.

The lack of making-offs in any current game is really unfortunate. I remember Uncharted 1+2 having one. Then Uncharted 3 dropped it. God of War III in particular had an amazing one. Ascension did not however (not that anyone would have given a fuck. That said, I'd have loved some spinny PR talk on why Ascension was in fact not just a creatively bankrupt cash grab), so at least the new one wasn't the first.
The lack of good making-offs has caught up to movies as well, though.

I also thought enemy variety was a bit of an achilles heel here. Especially since the ones we got were nowhere near as distinct as the proverbial zoo we got from Greek mythology. Oh, and the most dangerous enemies (the witches) were just plain annoying to fight. I'd say the best character action game enemies are so by virtue of having interesting and varied attack patterns (Bayonetta has at least a handful of enemies which put all but the Valkyries in this game to shame, and this includes most of the bosses too), not because they severely limit your attack options.

All in all the new game is a really neat package though. Far and away the best of Sony's first party offerings on the PS4 in my opinion.

Last edited:
Got the platinum trophy last week. Just my 3rd platinum trophy as I don't normally trophy hunt, but I loved the game that much. My only other 2 trophies are Destiny and Destiny 2.

Got the platinum trophy last week. Just my 3rd platinum trophy as I don't normally trophy hunt, but I loved the game that much. My only other 2 trophies are Destiny and Destiny 2.

The post ending content is so good. I play on gove me a challenge... I ahvemany things to do before having the platinium buz I will go for it.

Oh, I am so not sure about this game. I find it amazing that it has received so many stellar reviews, but I absolutely adored GoW3 and everything that I have seen of this new one doesn't really excite me. Seeing Kratos walking around with a kid just seems so wrong. No offense to those that like it, but IMO this just isn't GoW. It should be pure rage, all the way.

Cory balrog commentary on the beinning of the game and how they made some scenes (spoilers).
I wish we still had those old school " makin of " videos. but that will do i uess for now.

So beautiful, man I' d love to rediscover that game on PS5 with HD textures. Art direction is just unbelievable and the score is amazing.

Last edited:
Back