Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

I have a feeling this will be the 2019 rift 2 , I am going to guess it will release this time next year. $500 or so with a single sensor. It will work with the current touch and sensors. However I also believe they will have newer higher end sensors with a wider fov and better accuracy.

Here is the video

uy7ZqhW

Last edited:
I have a feeling this will be the 2019 rift 2 , I am going to guess it will release this time next year. $500 or so with a single sensor. It will work with the current touch and sensors. However I also believe they will have newer higher end sensors with a wider fov and better accuracy.

Here is the video

uy7ZqhW

I did not understand if eye tracking is really a thing clearly announced or is it just speculation because of the varifocal thing. I thought that eye tracking was going to be used to follow the eye sight around the display, but this varifocal thing seems to be limited to make nearfield objects look clean?

I did not understand if eye tracking is really a thing clearly announced or is it just speculation because of the varifocal thing. I thought that eye tracking was going to be used to follow the eye sight around the display, but this varifocal thing seems to be limited to make nearfield objects look clean?
They need eye tracking to see what your focusing on I believe. So with that level of tracking they can also know where your eyes are to enhance forvative (sp?) rendering. The question is how fast the eye tracking is. I am going to assume that forvative rendering will start off with bigger zones and as eye tracking becomes faster and more precise in subsequent hardware models the zones will get smaller. But any savings should improve the adoption of hiugher res pannels

The tracking need not have any significant latency, the 1/fps of the image sensor should dominate in any sane system, which is probably going to be less than a ms. Bigger problem is that we don't have any engines which can do geometry LOD very well. Being able to save some pixel shading is nice, but if the engine can't scale the geometry density with the pixel density it's not going to provide the orders of magnitude savings the pixels suggest.

As I said in the other thread, maybe the time has come for raytracing. Better scaling and it might combine well with asynchronous timewarp (the warping leaves gaps, which the raytracer can fill in).

The needs for foveated rendering is for resolution. Twin 4k or 8k screens will give the sharpness desired, but drawing that many pixels is prohibitive. Foveated rendering solves the pixel drawing problem. The rest of the scene can be exactly as normal - same polygon counts, animations etc. It'll just look more like a polygonal world than an organic, but it'll not be blurry or pixelated which is the primary concern. Realism is just an ongoing challenge, everything from lighting to shadows to shaders to geometry, but resolution is part of the comfort and accessibilty of VR.

Nice to see some advances in the tech. Variable focal planes, higher FOV, higher resolution, eye tracking, cheaper entry price, etc. Not all on the same product. 140 FOV is nice, but still not nearly enough. But at least Oculus are working on it. Variable focal planes will be nice. I have problems anytime things get close to the camera/eyes as I try to focus on it and can't focus on it.

But I'm really starting to wonder if they are running out of time. Another prominent streamer that used to advocate for VR has started to lose interest. itmeJP just recently mentioned he got his HTC Vive Pro a bit over a month ago. And it's still sitting in its package as he hasn't been motivated to unpack it and try it out.

Will interest revive for VR if price and tech finally get to a compelling point? Will there finally be a game that gets people fired up about VR despite how relatively cumbersome they still are? There's still a lot of people that are hopeful for VR, but they don't use their VR devices much anymore (sometimes not at all) as there is nothing they want to play in VR and all the games they want to play are traditional display games.

I think that's a fairly big problem if you want to play games in VR, but there's no VR game that you want to play.

Regards,
SB

The problem remains that couch gaming is fundamentally poor (the percentage of people who can adapt to normal controller based rotation turning out to be just too small) and standup is stupid. At least for PC gaming the focus should always have been on swivel chair gaming ... instead no one except some niche companies are pushing it.

Games like Second Life will at least be able to keep VR on a slow simmer for a while. Second Life is the ideal use case for VR, with a swivel chair that is. I'm afraid Sansar will kill them though and with them the best use case for consumer VR.

Last edited:
That's arguably the benefit of console generations, and why the PS5 needs to at least mandate an option for 3D output: every game would become somewhat suitable for playing on a VR headset.

What I really want to see for the PSVR2 is:

- For it to contain dual cameras on the front, both for inside out tracking, and also just for pushing a button to see the outside world.

- Wireless streaming. A setup like the current PSVR would be fine, just equip the camera and the headset with the appropriate streaming hardware.

- Eye tracking for both foveated rendering and a more novel, intuitive interface.

- Self contained, like the Oculus Santa Cruz. So it can play more rudimentary games without needing a console.

PC headsets and standalones are pretty much there, and they could still trump it in terms of power, resolution, or refresh rate, but that would set quite a solid bar for the next 6-8 years after launch.

You're right, but perhaps it could be addressed by way of easy implementations? Things like:

- A theatre simulator, rendered by the on-board hardware. Spectators and other players can sit in it with you.
- Floating HUD's that can be positioned outside of the main screen.
- 3D layered parallax scrolling for 2D games.
- System level eye tracking for aiming.

If the game doesn't have suitable locomotion/comfort settings for VR, then mandating 'just display on an IMAX scale 3d screen' would good solution.

There's a point where VR becomes the best possible display you can buy. It might not be Rift/Vive 2, but wouldn't bet against that happening with v3.

That's arguably the benefit of console generations, and why the PS5 needs to at least mandate an option for 3D output: every game would become somewhat suitable for playing on a VR headset.

What I really want to see for the PSVR2 is:

- For it to contain dual cameras on the front, both for inside out tracking, and also just for pushing a button to see the outside world.

- Wireless streaming. A setup like the current PSVR would be fine, just equip the camera and the headset with the appropriate streaming hardware.

- Eye tracking for both foveated rendering and a more novel, intuitive interface.

- Self contained, like the Oculus Santa Cruz. So it can play more rudimentary games without needing a console.

PC headsets and standalones are pretty much there, and they could still trump it in terms of power, resolution, or refresh rate, but that would set quite a solid bar for the next 6-8 years after launch.

1) two cameras on the front aren't enough for inside out tracking

2) Wireless streaming will require line of sight right now and a special router .

4) Santa cruz will be very expensive , I would put it around $400-$500 just for the headset and then another $100 for touch. It needs to provide 6dof for tracking the controllers which means more on board processing and if we get a bump in resolution its going to need even more processing power .

I don't know if sony is going to be willing to put out a $500 headset along with a $500 ps5 . But I could be wrong. I also wonder how PS VR is going.

There is a rumor at E3 we will see WMR 2.0 headsets and one for the xbox one with better inside out tracking than the current wmr headsets. It could also use Kinect 3.0 (Kinect for azure) which could enable hand tracking . So it will be interesting if there is any response from sony

Back