GTA V on PC

Saw that after I ve posted this in another thread.

They seem to bring only one title per console generation. Many also bought it several times and I hope that this will not become standard for RockStar games. This reminds me a bit of NVIDIA where people buy multiple fastest GPUs within a year because the Titan and TI always come a bit later. However, it makes more sense there because of the production costs.

They seem to bring only one title per console generation. Many also bought it several times and I hope that this will not become tstandard for RockStar games.
Why not? Would you rather they switch to a Ubisoft/EA model of pumping out titles in the series every 2 years without the production quality Rockstar puts into them?

Why not? Would you rather they switch to a Ubisoft/EA model of pumping out titles in the series every 2 years without the production quality Rockstar puts into them?

I can't say I was very convinced of GTA V. Sure, I played the multiplayer for a long time but the game world was empty and a step backwards to its dense predecessor. The single player was one of the worst experiences for me in years while the campaign of Watch Dogs 2 was due the higher complexity and many interesting gameplay possibilities a lot better in my opinion (I didn't like Watch Dogs 1). GTA Vs campaign was too linear (couldn't decide for myself where I could walk etc.) and there were too many trial and error passages. The gameplay was just weak. The talk of the characters was very annoying and I could even less identify with these characters (Trevor is pure scum -> I hate such characters and I don't want anything to do with someone like him) than with the weird hipster guys from Watch Dogs 2.

I think that was the only game I've bought which I haven't played trough in 10 years.

It's also not like Ubisoft develops games very quickly. Wildlands was 5 years in development and The Division was probably for a long time as well. Unlike RockStars games The Division came even with a new game engine.

Last edited:
Source article says PC sales make up 2.1% of the total. That's not even 2 million copies, yet it was reported GTAV on PC broke 2 million by May 2015....... Steamspy currently reports 10,000,000 to 20,000,000 copies, and I'm going to guess the real figure is around the 15,000,000 mark. If Steamspy was never accurate or reputable, I don't think the guy who made and manages it would be raking in almost $9000 a month on Patreon. He already acknowledges being paid by indie studios for the data.

There is also the version from the RockStar Social Club which was the only physical version.

Last edited:
Probably why R* didn't bother. The mod community has already done their work for them, for free. More and more, it seems the best approach to PC is to push out some half-arsed solution and let the PC community fix and improve your game for you. The bonus opportunity of modding seems to have evolved into a necessary crux.
heh, that's a very smart statement. That could be up for a totally different debate but imo, many mods improve the original game a lot, and make it better. Say Odinblade mods, or Divinity Conflux, or Vanilla Plus for Divinity Original Sin 2, and many many others.

Sure the developers make the hard work and put the talent to a great game/idea, but modders are usually passionate people that make the game evolve and they aren't constrained by a art/technical director or whatever, some great ideas have come into fruition 'cos of them, vastly surpassing the original games.

Mods are superb: :smile2:
free expansions
Not mandatory to install
Developer bug fixes (like the 2000 bugs fixed with the Oblivion community patch)
They adapt games from 20 years ago to new resolutions and fix bugs in new operating systems
Translated games for those who dont speak english or japanese
They createe high quality games like Counter Strike, DayZ, Killing Floor,...
They provide many improvements (all the new features in Skyrim compared to Oblivion come, almost all of them, from mods, even the famous shout)
They fix "dubious" design decisions. Oblivion's autolevel was meant to make the game more accessible to all audiences, but for some people it's rubbish at a role-playing game level.
One of my favourite mods is the one that allows Skyrim to run at 60fps on consoles. Awesome stuff, console gamers should know about the awesomeness of mods.

Those who do not like mods can be for two things. They don't know what they are, or they are jealous. Something that only improves a game cannot be bad

I think GTAV on pc, even though using the older renderer, wouldnt really need a 3090 to run at Ultra/acceptable framerate teamed to those settings. I would guess 3060/Ti would do it fine.... I have a 2080Ti and Ultra with mods aint a problem. I currently dont want to swap my gpu to a lower-spec model to test, but theres probably someone out there that has done so and uploaded it on YT.
Fidelity mode (best IQ) is 30fps/4k right? Seems that a 3060/R7 5800 will handle that just fine, with the addition of mods which arguably top the visuals over the console versions.

I think GTAV on pc, even though using the older renderer, wouldnt really need a 3090 to run at Ultra/acceptable framerate teamed to those settings. I would guess 3060/Ti would do it fine.... I have a 2080Ti and Ultra with mods aint a problem. I currently dont want to swap my gpu to a lower-spec model to test, but theres probably someone out there that has done so and uploaded it on YT.
Fidelity mode (best IQ) is 30fps/4k right? Seems that a 3060/R7 5800 will handle that just fine, with the addition of mods which arguably top the visuals over the console versions.

that's quite impressive! The RTX 3060 is a demon --quite more capable than a GTX 1080, which is no small feat.

He seems to be playing on a laptop, judging by the temperatures of the CPU and the GPU. Either that or if it's a desktop PC with a very bad case -poor cooling-. Does a Ryzen 3600 laptop version even exist?

He seems to be playing on a laptop, judging by the temperatures of the CPU and the GPU. Either that or if it's a desktop PC with a very bad case -poor cooling-. Does a Ryzen 3600 laptop version even exist?

Its probably a desktop, perhaps warm environment or as you say poor cooling. Nevertheless it seems gtav ultra settings does run quite well on entry level hw. On the old renderer.

Its probably a desktop, perhaps warm environment or as you say poor cooling. Nevertheless it seems gtav ultra settings does run quite well on entry level hw. On the old renderer.
his case might be the issue, like in my previous desktop computer -purchased back in 2017, my first desktop after 14 years (since 2003)-. Either he is rich and doesnt mind having his components fried up some day or he is just careless.

Do you mean that the RTX 3060 is entry level hardware? It's slightly superior in comparison to the GTX 1080, for instance. Not bad at all, specially if you take into account that imho, the Pascal generation is nVidia's best generation ever since nVidia exists.

Great power efficiency, great performance, the GTX 1080 and GTX 1080Ti can still compete today against many decent computers and new consoles.

i.e. today I launched a F1 game by Codemasters. The game set itself to Ultra automatically -not a big fan of everything ultra, but in this case I didnt mind-. I set the game at 1969x1108 (NIS resolution), locked it at 60fps --> power consumption without undervolt or anything like that, 60W and GPU temp 38º.... What's not to like?

Back