Windows 10 [2018]

Oh my. Throwing stones and glass houses and all that.

Though does anyone really want to pay for an email client anymore? I'm surprised the use of separate email clients for general consumers is even a thing (they still exist) in this day, considering so much flexibility is available online. Yes, it's rather crappy to have ads for what people consider is now core functionality of an OS.

Hell, I'm still surprised that the EU didn't hit MS with fines for anti-competitive behavior by including an e-mail client rather than offering users a choice of e-mail clients when installing a machine. And then making them offer a version of Windows without an e-mail client in the EU. :p

Sorry, I couldn't resist that bit of snark. The whole browser kerfuffle was just ridiculous in the extreme, especially when it came at a time when Internet Explorer was already in decline with Chrome rapidly becoming the dominant browser.

The EU should probably hit MS with a fine for including a calculator app as well. Sorry, I just can't resist. I'll stop now. :p

Regards,
SB

I didn't even realize windows 10 had a mail client, I just opened up (first time I've used it) and now its on my 'most used program' windows start list, which seems weird, in fact it knocked off 'cubase' from the list (which I use every day)

Yeah I'm not sure how that works. My most used program is actually at the top of my list. FastPictureViewer (this thing is fantastic).

However, my second most used program should be Edge as white I hate it, I hate it ever so slightly less than Chrome which should be my 3rd most used program. I do a lot of research on the web. However, it lists Chrome as my 2nd most used program. Weird. I wish I could still use Internet Explorer for everything (far superior UI and settings to both Edge and Chrome) but it's just too slow nowdays to do the majority of my research in a timely manner.

I've never really looked at it as there is no longer a need for me to use that as I did in versions of Windows prior to Windows 8. My start menu is customized (~150 applications - most used programs plus a variety of other things like games and seldom used but useful apps) for my use and so I have absolutely zero need for the most used programs list.

Since I know exactly where everything is for applications that get reasonable use, it's so easy to just fire them up. For useful but less used apps they are each in their own category in the start menu making them easy to find.

And since they aren't in any folders and don't require any scrolling, it's soo incredibly nice compared to Win7 and prior Windows.

Anything outside of that is very quickly brought up by just typing in a few letters of the application name.

I still prefer the start screen from Windows 8, but I've grown used to the start menu in Windows 10. At least the Win8 menu took up the entire screen. The Win10 start menu on a 1600x2560 monitor (30" in portrait) won't allow you to expand it to take up the entire screen.

There are some things I don't like about Win10, but my god do I absolutely love the start menu.

Regards,
SB

^
|
:nope: you're sick & need help man

Anyways, issue which seems to have popped up in one of the last couple of Windows Cumulative Updates (or I'm remembering completely wrong & its me that needs help), in File Explorer you have the option of Preview or Details pane on right which itself has been a step back from Win7 which did Details with Preview (Ballmer only knows why they chose to split them, not like there is any shortage of screen space on most modern PCs, or at least make amount of Details scale with screen/window size) but previously with Preview option you'd still get a basic Details on the bottom edge when you selected a file but that's gone now.
Can get same via the tooltip but thats much more of an effort, whole thing is an annoying reduction in usability :runaway:

Angry rant inside. Swearing and stuff, you have been warned.
Whorecock! Goddamn Traf-O-Data, you fucking can't do anything right!

Seriously. Not just hyperbole here, they fuck goddamn everything up, even the simplest detail. I was going to block a mandatory update restart (because I fucking hate having my PC decide for me when it's restarting, and I have stuff open that I don't want fucking windows to screw with), and when I click the toggle switch that controls update blocking it lags for whatever unbelievably stupid incomprehensible reason, so I click again, thinking the first click didn't 'take' for whatever reason, maybe I missed the special magic zone of the toggle switch, whatever.

So then it toggles - and REMEMBERS THE SECOND CLICK AND TOGGLES FUCKING RIGHT BACK AGAIN GODDAMNIT, and now it says it has to update before it ALLOWS ME to turn updates off again. SHITCOCK TWATSPAWN! Fucking burn in hell, Sataya Ghai!

I wish I could just load all of Traf-O-Data on a bigass rocket and send it all right into the sun. Good fucking riddance, once and for all!

What the F is this thing and why is Apple trying to install some USB thing on my PC?

apple shit.JPG

What the F is this thing and why is Apple trying to install some USB thing on my PC?
If you had plugged in your phone when it happened, it's probably the driver that allows tethering your cellular internet connection to your computer.

Edit:
So the Windows 10 April 2018 Update as its now called is live
Hm... Not getting it (yet). No worries, I suppose. I don't even know what new features are in it so it doesn't really matter. :p

Last edited:
Do we know what WDDM 2.4 (introduced with 1803) brings to the table vs WDDM 2.3 ? I can't find that information. My google skills are weak today :/

If you had plugged in your phone when it happened, it's probably the driver that allows tethering your cellular internet connection to your computer.
Even though we don't have any Apple devices?

Anything to do with USB printers and Bonjour?
Bonjour isn't installed or any service running. I do have a color laser/scanner but it's never been plugged into a PC, only the network.

Hm... Not getting it (yet). No worries, I suppose. I don't even know what new features are in it so it doesn't really matter. :p

One of the big things that was mentioned is being able to schedule times when notifications are disabled. Kind of like Apple's "Do Not Disturb" mode.

Unlike Apple's "Do Not Disturb" mode, you're supposed to be able to choose what notifications are completely suppressed, partially suppressed (notications for X contact allowed, but all other contacts disabled, for example), or not suppressed when it is enabled.

Timeline was the other big thing. Allowing you go back through your previous PC activities in reverse chronological order (newest to oldest) and resume an activity from any arbitrary point.

Regards,
SB

Timeline was the other big thing. Allowing you go back through your previous PC activities in reverse chronological order (newest to oldest) and resume an activity from any arbitrary point.
Yeah thats one I turned off, seems like a very rarely useful thing to me & one thats likely to eat up large amounts of SDD space.

Do we know what WDDM 2.4 (introduced with 1803) brings to the table vs WDDM 2.3 ? I can't find that information. My google skills are weak today :/

Well I can say that the UI is significantly less responsive with the update (& Crimson 18.4 ) while I'm mining on my Vegas.
So something ought to have changed..

Btw, I discovered* a handy way to put off unwanted patch restarts for a while on windows10 editions that don't allow this (*cough* home, possibly others), and quite possibly indefinitely. It works as long as you don't need your system up and running 24/7:

Enable "usage hours" option in the windows update options, whatsitscalled in english and set to (preferably minimum time) whenever you're definitely NOT using your PC. Like, when you're asleep, typically. Then when you're done fiddling with your computer for the day, put it in sleep mode, and don't wake it up until your PC is back inside the "usage hours" safe window again. You might want to disable any/all options that lets your PC wake itself up, btw...

*Might not actually qualify as a discovery as such, as someone might have probably found/told of this trick before me...

Back