Red Dead Redemption 2

Very good trailer but unfortunately there was no gameplay. Let's see how the reports which will be published today will look like.

Western is a setting where I have sometimes no motivation to look and sometimes a very big one. Maybe I'll save Westworlds season 2 until I can play RDR2.

Looks pretty good, I like the serious tone and the dialogue reminds me straight from The Walking Dead (Rick & Neagan). I hope they present us a nice chunky gameplay at E3.

I hope R* is willing to to shake up their formula a little. I love their games, but they've been doing the go-to-yellow-map-marker-in-order-to-experiece-super-rigid-and-linear-story-snippets thing ever since GTA III basically. Sure, the details and the systems have all been vastly improved over time, but the structure has been pretty much identical for decades now. Seeing a mission failed icon because I did something akin to parking my horse a couple of inches too far from the target area is something I really don't wanna see anymore.

I liked the tone they established. We'll see if it's truly reflective, but it bodes well.

Generally speaking, I don't connect emotionally to anything in sandbox games, so I'm curious to know if this will buck the trend for me. I'm not expecting to cry 3 times like I did playing The Last Guardian, but caring about one or more characters to the same extent as Luis Sera would be satisfying.

Here are some new exclusive details from IGN...

Behold! The World's First Look at Red Dead Redemption 2
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/worlds-first-look-at-red-dead-redemption-2

Let's Talk Red Dead Redemption 2: Who is Arthur Morgan?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/red-dead-redemption-2-who-is-arthur-morgan

Why Red Dead Redemption 2 Is More than Just a Prequel
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/why-red-dead-redemption-2-is-more-than-just-a-prequel-2

Every Secret in Red Dead Redemption 2's Latest Trailer
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/analysis-every-secret-in-red-dead-redemption-2s-new-trailer

Other non-English venues had their own details. Can somebody else post those? Thanks!

Tommy McClain

Here are some new exclusive details from IGN...

Behold! The World's First Look at Red Dead Redemption 2
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/worlds-first-look-at-red-dead-redemption-2

Let's Talk Red Dead Redemption 2: Who is Arthur Morgan?
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/red-dead-redemption-2-who-is-arthur-morgan

Why Red Dead Redemption 2 Is More than Just a Prequel
http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/why-red-dead-redemption-2-is-more-than-just-a-prequel-2

Every Secret in Red Dead Redemption 2's Latest Trailer
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/03/analysis-every-secret-in-red-dead-redemption-2s-new-trailer

Other non-English venues had their own details. Can somebody else post those? Thanks!

Tommy McClain
Impressive! I want it on PC now. Love certain details like the railway being built and evolving as the time and the game progresses.

• The interaction of the protagonist with the rest of the world has been one of the main focuses of the development of the game. Everything the character does will have its consequences in one way or another. For example, depending on how Arthur carries his weapon (holstered or unsheathed) the NPC's will react by greeting him and being friendly, begging for mercy or attacking him; and when passing near them you will have several options of interaction that, according to the button that you press, will vary.

• In the same way, Arthur's relationship with the rest of the band will depend on how he deals with them. Therefore, if he helps them and favors them, they will hold him in greater esteem than if he decides to go his own way without worrying about them and never going through the camp.

In one of the moments of the demo the player approaches the fisherman's cabin to rob him. When surprised by a dog that begins to bark, the fisherman leaves the cabin, before which Arthur can intimidate him or tell him to leave him alone, depending on his decision.

• At the time of the game Arthur is the right hand of Dutch, whose band arrived at some point in his childhood for unknown reasons.

• The band's camp will not be just a place to save the game, but a place that will have to be supplied either by hunting or collecting. Doing it or not is in the hand of the player, and depending on this the mood of the band will be one way or another.

All members of the band, like the rest of NPC's, have their role and their routine in the game, which changes as it progresses.

• The place where the demo takes place is called New Hanover. The world is full of plains, mountainous and snowy areas, alpine forests, desert or small villages, each with its own ecosystem. The world will change as time progresses, as for example through the development of the fabric of rails, which will gradually furrow the terrain and connect the population centers.

• When hunting, you can skin the animal and throw the skin on your belt or mount the body on your horse. Large animals will be more expensive to peel than small animals.

• One of the most "impressive" moments of the demo was the hunting of a deer. As Arthur came up with a bow and shot him, the animal staggered and ran with the arrow stuck in its back. After following the trail of blood, the player found the deer writhing in pain and howling. When he was finished with a knife, the deer let out a shuddering scream.

You can take the meat you are hunting to the camp to feed the band or sell it and keep the money.

• The value of a hunted animal depends on how it is hunted and how long it is saved before it is used. Hunting with a knife or bow will have more benefit than if it is done with a shotgun or a rifle. In the same way, if you go walking for days with the prey on horseback, it will end up rotting and losing its value.

• Stealth weapons will prevent the rest of the nearby animals from fleeing when they hear a shot.

• Depending on the bond you have with your horse this will react in one way or another to the situations that arise, such as refusing or not to jump obstacle or run away in a shooting and leave you lying. This will also influence the distance to which the horse comes when hearing your whistle. If he dies, you will have to start from scratch with another.

• Your horse will keep all your equipment, such as weapons, ammunition, objects, etc; reason why it will also be important to keep him alive.

In one of the moments of the demo the horse was injured and began to bleed. Having no medicine on hand to cure him, Arthur ran to the nearest town to buy medicine. When he returned to where he had left him, the horse lay dead on the ground.

• Various heist planning options. You can send the other members of the band to go to the advance or do it yourself, choose one strategy or another, etc.

You can lose your hat in a shootout. If that happens, you can search again or buy a new one at another time.

IGN got the right person for the job. Whoever chose him to write that, congrats. One of the best videogaming articles I've ever read. Impressive read, some superb high quality writing in there.

Hmm. I seemed to spend a lot of the last game launching horses off cliffs. Sound like I'm going to feel really guilty about that in this one.
I'd be ashamed if I were you.

Btw, one of the most fun things in RDR, imho, was finding the special horse breeds in the game.

Impressive! I want it on PC now. Love certain details like the railway being built and evolving as the time and the game progresses.

• The interaction of the protagonist with the rest of the world has been one of the main focuses of the development of the game. Everything the character does will have its consequences in one way or another. For example, depending on how Arthur carries his weapon (holstered or unsheathed) the NPC's will react by greeting him and being friendly, begging for mercy or attacking him; and when passing near them you will have several options of interaction that, according to the button that you press, will vary.

• In the same way, Arthur's relationship with the rest of the band will depend on how he deals with them. Therefore, if he helps them and favors them, they will hold him in greater esteem than if he decides to go his own way without worrying about them and never going through the camp.

In one of the moments of the demo the player approaches the fisherman's cabin to rob him. When surprised by a dog that begins to bark, the fisherman leaves the cabin, before which Arthur can intimidate him or tell him to leave him alone, depending on his decision.

• At the time of the game Arthur is the right hand of Dutch, whose band arrived at some point in his childhood for unknown reasons.

• The band's camp will not be just a place to save the game, but a place that will have to be supplied either by hunting or collecting. Doing it or not is in the hand of the player, and depending on this the mood of the band will be one way or another.

All members of the band, like the rest of NPC's, have their role and their routine in the game, which changes as it progresses.

• The place where the demo takes place is called New Hanover. The world is full of plains, mountainous and snowy areas, alpine forests, desert or small villages, each with its own ecosystem. The world will change as time progresses, as for example through the development of the fabric of rails, which will gradually furrow the terrain and connect the population centers.

• When hunting, you can skin the animal and throw the skin on your belt or mount the body on your horse. Large animals will be more expensive to peel than small animals.

• One of the most "impressive" moments of the demo was the hunting of a deer. As Arthur came up with a bow and shot him, the animal staggered and ran with the arrow stuck in its back. After following the trail of blood, the player found the deer writhing in pain and howling. When he was finished with a knife, the deer let out a shuddering scream.

You can take the meat you are hunting to the camp to feed the band or sell it and keep the money.

• The value of a hunted animal depends on how it is hunted and how long it is saved before it is used. Hunting with a knife or bow will have more benefit than if it is done with a shotgun or a rifle. In the same way, if you go walking for days with the prey on horseback, it will end up rotting and losing its value.

• Stealth weapons will prevent the rest of the nearby animals from fleeing when they hear a shot.

• Depending on the bond you have with your horse this will react in one way or another to the situations that arise, such as refusing or not to jump obstacle or run away in a shooting and leave you lying. This will also influence the distance to which the horse comes when hearing your whistle. If he dies, you will have to start from scratch with another.

• Your horse will keep all your equipment, such as weapons, ammunition, objects, etc; reason why it will also be important to keep him alive.

In one of the moments of the demo the horse was injured and began to bleed. Having no medicine on hand to cure him, Arthur ran to the nearest town to buy medicine. When he returned to where he had left him, the horse lay dead on the ground.

• Various heist planning options. You can send the other members of the band to go to the advance or do it yourself, choose one strategy or another, etc.

You can lose your hat in a shootout. If that happens, you can search again or buy a new one at another time.

That sounds bloody fantastic. Almost reads like R* spliced a bit of Kingdom Come Deliverance's DNA in there.

I don't really see anything there that is innovative. It's all been done before in some fashion but I'm sure it will have been perfected in this game.

The camp management sounds a bit too much like the usual homework mechanism, gathering resources to keep people happy. Gather 10 meat or buy 50 meat for just 100 rockstar points! Only $9.99.

The horse management I like. A nod towards immersion, actually caring about your horse instead of simply the game being infinite horse dispenser.

It's not innovative, but it's a pretty big step up from your usual R* open worlds. They're gorgeous, but they are incredibly superficial. Stuff like the example with the fisherman isn't something you'd find in any other open-word game that's not also an RPG.
What I'm wondering about is whether the impact and the consequences of your actions are actually gonna last, or if it's just gonna be like in every other open world where your massive pile of exploded vehicles will simply vanish from view the moment you spin your camera around.

I mean the pedestrians in GTA also react to the way the player behaves. It just doesn't really matter in the end.

The article is paid hype. There's some interesting snippets but I'm sure most of the details will be superficial and temporary.

The article is paid hype. There's some interesting snippets but I'm sure most of the details will be superficial and temporary.
I wouldn't say its paid. Previews are usually more boasterous by nature. Part of it is a culture of giving a in-development game a bit of benefit of the doubt, the other is trying to be on the dev's good side so they keep inviting them to demo events, giving interviews, sending review coppies early, etc.

Effectively it is payment. Userbase expansion for the price of positive exposure and the temporary suspension of journalistic integrity. Exclusives scoops in particular always come with strings attached.
There's a reason why you almost never get exclusive previews on sites which generally don't like to play ball. Like Eurogamer for example. It's always IGN or Game Informer (which is owned by Gamestop. No possible conflict of interests there, right?)

Last edited:
Effectively it is payment. Userbase expansion for the price of positive exposure and the temporary suspension of journalistic integrity. Exclusives scoops in particular always come with strings attached.
There's a reason why you almost never get exclusive previews on sites which generally don't like to play ball. Like Eurogamer for example. It's always IGN or Game Informer (which is owned by Gamestop. No possible conflict of interests there, right?)

So a site like IGN who gets exclusive rights and interviews on presenting a new upcoming game - suspends their journalistic integrity, but a site like Eurogamer, the parent company of Digital Foundry, doesn't suspend their journalistic integrity when they have exclusive rights/interviews on upcoming hardware (i.e., Xbox X reveal, PS4 Pro exclusive, Xbox 360, etc...)?

What I'm saying, let's stop this nonsense of comparing gaming media outlets to each other (i.e., their business practices), when we have no clear evidence or understanding on how they obtained these exclusive interviews or sneak peeks.

Back