Apple is an existential threat to the PC

LoL, what a clusterfuck. To summarize.
  • They wanted to pay for repairs due to their own carelessness.
  • The Apple store started the process.
  • Apple headquarters won't approve sending the parts to the Apple store to repair the iMac Pro.
  • They are told they need to go to an Apple Certified repair place.
  • The Apple Certified repair place can fix it and Apple Headquarters will send them the parts, if the repair place has someone with Apple Pro certification.
  • Apple Pro certification does not currently exist.
What. The. Fuck?

Regards,
SB

It is just as bad for the iPhone 8 screen if you replace it from an un-official support source due to the microchip in the screen; ios 11.3 update locks touch screen functions if you did not go to Apple for replacement of a broken-faulty screen.
A freaking mobile screen is even protected and Apple has removed-unsigned previous version so no rollback :)
I guess they could argue someone may to try and sell it without the "high quality" standard screen (would not break if it was that great though lol) to an unsuspecting person, still not a great reason if Apple decided to use it.
https://forums.appleinsider.com/dis...ed-iphone-8-screens-done-by-third-party-shops

It's too ensure the consumer has the best quality experience right? Didn't Apple just lose a lawsuit about 3rd party screen repair? Nice timing on this lockout.

From CNet: "Apple’s working on a powerful, wireless headset for both AR, VR."

While this rumor is about a headset, it also contains clues about potential Mac chips.
Shara Tibken (CNet) said:
The company is working on a headset capable of running both AR and VR technology, according to a person familiar with Apple's plans. Plans so far call for an 8K display for each eye -- higher resolution than today's best TVs -- that would be untethered from a computer or smartphone, the person said.

The project, codenamed T288, is still in its early stages but is slated for release in 2020.
[…]
Apple's headset would connect to a dedicated box using a high-speed, short-range wireless technology, according to a person familiar with the company's plans. The box, which would be powered by a custom Apple processor more powerful than anything currently available, would act as the brain for the AR/VR headset. In its current state, the box resembles a PC tower, but it won't be an actual Mac computer.
[…]
The box to power Apple's AR/VR headset also would use a 5-nanometer processor, […]
[…]
The chips used in future Macs would be similar to what Apple would use in its T288 AR/VR project, said the person familiar with the company's plans.

That Norwegian case is rather interesting. Quote from the article:
Many parts, such as the ones Huseby used, were broken parts from the original manufacturer that are "refurbished" by a third party. These parts had Apple logos originally, but were covered up by an easily removable media during the sale process.

Whether these count as "counterfeit" is at the crux of the case in Norway. Apple says they are, but Huseby and his team argued otherwise, and the court agreed.
So reject components that are still functional are imported with easily removable stickers covering the Apple logos. And they will be sold as...?
It’s rather obvious why Apple took action isn’t it?

how could that be true? Isn't it a joke? Which hardware can move 8k for each eye? Sorry, no.

Magic Apple Dust!

I just had to shake my head at the following bit from that article, as that's now how it works!

A Chinese startup, Pimax, has sought crowdfunding to create an 8K virtual reality headset. In the case of that device, it would have a 4K display for each eye.

8k per eye is perfectly doable in 2020 with eyetracking / foveted rendering. It's not 3d rendering at 8k per eye, even though that's the end user experience.

Magic Apple Dust!

I just had to shake my head at the following bit from that article, as that's now how it works!
Though the article is probably garbage, the pieces of the puzzle actually fit. 8k panels isn’t a problem with foveated rendering and the horsepower available at 5nm, if Apple so desires. Also the article refers to 802.11ay, which is a real (and highly desireable) thing, and well suited for the purpose. Additionally it makes the highly plausible statement that Apple would be regarding this as a separate platform from an UI point of view.
Doesn’t mean it will ever materialize as a product because if it did, I would buy it instantly.

Regarding what Apple can do in terms of platform, this rather technical post by Paul Clayton over at realworldtech motivated by the idea of Apple creating a new ISA also points out that Apple could "simply" extend AArch64 to do whatever the heck they feel like doing. It is an interesting read for those interested in CPU architecture, but so far Apple has extended their iOS platform with dedicated hardware for image and video manipulation, AI, and so on, and some of this is even being built directly into the sensors they purchase such as this 140 GOPs 3D sensor from Sony. By controlling the underlying hardware as well as the software stack providing access to it, Apple has a ton of options.

If we are going to have foveated rendering, we're going to have to move to display list rendering or fundamentally different graphics architectures. GPUs with huge pipelines in the drivers will no longer be an option at the latencies required. Everything will have to be done in lock step, dig up the PS2 era console devs.

Maybe even finally time for raytracing, given it's better ability to vary quality with rendering time.

If we are going to have foveated rendering, we're going to have to move to display list rendering or fundamentally different graphics architectures. GPUs with huge pipelines in the drivers will no longer be an option at the latencies required. Everything will have to be done in lock step, dig up the PS2 era console devs.

Maybe even finally time for raytracing, given it's better ability to vary quality with rendering time.
Apple has filed a patent for a foveated rendering approach, check out an abbreviated version here. Or better just go straight to the patent. It contains some surprisingly specific (and very quick/low latency) timing data, display latency of 240Hz and total system latency of 120Hz.

Last edited:
Just because it's detailed doesn't mean anything with Apple, could just be a pre-emptive mining run, might not even be related to any of their own research.

PS. in this and the AR/VR patent I see absolutely nothing innovative. Really looks like a mining operation to me, almost next to no research behind it.

PPS. it's fitting that a site about Apple is so fucking obnoxious ... lets not link the fucking patent.

Last edited:
Just because it's detailed doesn't mean anything with Apple, could just be a pre-emptive mining run, might not even be related to any of their own research.

PS. in this and the AR/VR patent I see absolutely nothing innovative. Really looks like a mining operation to me, almost next to no research behind it.

PPS. it's fitting that a site about Apple is so fucking obnoxious ... lets not link the fucking patent.
If you are truly interested in what Apple may be up to, you might be interested in their aquisition of SMI last summer, a German company with a long standing interest in eye-tracking, and check out SMIs work.

None of this may materialise in a product, but if it does, it is likely to do so with a fair bit of spit and polish. It is not like Apple to release a new product category in an early access/development platform shape.

Apple has filed a patent for a foveated rendering approach, check out an abbreviated version here. Or better just go straight to the patent. It contains some surprisingly specific (and very quick/low latency) timing data, display latency of 240Hz and total system latency of 120Hz.

Latencies are not measured in hertz.

Latencies are not measured in hertz.
And you’re not such a bleeding idiot that you’re not perfectly aware that frequency is 1/s. I can’t imagine that you find conversion between the two challenging. Nor does anyone capable of writing or reading the patent.

And you’re not such a bleeding idiot that you’re not perfectly aware that frequency is 1/s. I can’t imagine that you find conversion between the two challenging. Nor does anyone capable of writing or reading the patent.

In the link you posted the latency is not specified, only the screen and GPU refresh rates (240 and 120 hz). But maybe I missed something?

In the link you posted the latency is not specified, only the screen and GPU refresh rates (240 and 120 hz). But maybe I missed something?
Their nomenclature, not mine. I do agree it's not what you usually see. I was mostly surprised by the specificity of the numbers rather than the typical vague mush.
It's not that Apple can't do what the Cnet article claims, my problem with the article is that it could have been completely inspired by the patent and some general industry awareness. Nothing really speaks of Cnet having access to "a person familiar with Apple's plans" as they put it. It's a set of puzzle pieces that fit, but that is not the same as an insider claiming that a product is coming within a certain time frame. It's just a plausible story.
We know that Apple had advanced enough car plans that other car manufacturers were aware of it and commented, but an Apple car doesn't seem to be materialising, so Apple doing advanced product research and buying businesses isn't proof positive that they will release AR/VR products. (Though personally, I believe they will, they have gone through quite a bit of effort for something that would be surprising if it stopped at adding augmented reality bits to your phone. But product specs? Launch dates? Nah.)

Back