FREE Games List [2008-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if the tribe series was mentioned, just found out about it last night:

"Found out that Tribes Vengeance is now free, figure it's about the same time period as my CPU so it should run alright! :D

You can get the newest, community patched/modded version here. If you're a stickler to make sure Digi isn't just saying it's legal, you can download it from the official site and try and make it work...but I recommend the patched version as you don't need a CD key. (And they don't use Gamespy anymore, they have their own server...oh and the installer works without needing windows98 installed. ;) )"

just found out about it last night:

Did you really!!!

The following two quotes are from 2015
Hi-rez Studios have, as part of their 21st birthday, released all their legacy games for free.

- Earthsiege is the 1994 release
- Earthsiege 2 is a 1998 rerelease; no CD audio tracks
- "StarsiegeAndStarsiegeTribes.iso" is actually just Starsiege; Disc 2 is missing;Tribes is missing; CD audio tracks are missing.
- Tribes 2 is a late-2002 rerelease.
- Tribes Aerial Assault is a Playstation 2 game (!) and will have to be emulated since a normal PS2 won't be able to boot your burned disc.
- "TribesVengeance.zip" contains four ISO images. 2004 release.
- Tribes Ascend is Pay2Win
laughoutloud.png

http://www.tribesuniverse.com

Ooooh, haven't played Tribes Vengeance in ages...I remember loving it. Thanks Dav!!! :D

Page 6 of the free games list post
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/free-games-list.44233/page-6#post-1879072

F1 2015 free again, via Steam this time. It's the only F1 game that's Linux compatible.

Zero-K Team has announced the release of its new free real-time strategy game that is heavily inspired by Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, Zero-K. Zero-K is an RTS set near the end of the universe in which players can manipulate the terrain, set things on fire, and fight epic battles over land, air and sea. The game features taditional real time strategy gameplay with physically simulated units and projectiles, 100+ varied units with abilities including terrain manipulation, cloaking and jumpjets and 70+ mission galaxy-spanning campaign to be enjoyed solo or co-op with friends. Zero-K also features skirmish AI and survival modes, multiplayer 1v1 and 16v16 modes, FFA, coop. ladders, replays, spectators and tournaments, and will get a multiplayer online campaign in May, called PlanetWars.

Last day for Amazon/Twitch Prime members (USA only) to get April's free games. Sorry if I got non-USA people excited.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2023736/
https://blog.twitch.tv/level-up-your-video-game-collection-with-free-games-with-prime-785fac856490

(Amazon Prime going up to $120/yr in May.)

Edit--Nice. I had just checked a sign-up link in that Twitch blog post, and a warning at the top mentioned requiring a CC with a US billing address. Could have been specific for me.

This seems to be the appropriate FAQ: "Twitch Prime is included with Amazon Prime in the US, Mexico, Canada, Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Spain, Japan, Singapore, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Twitch Prime is included with Prime Video in over 200 other countries and territories."

Last edited:
I am a non-USA person, and got all those games this month with my prime subscription linked with Twitch.

The Flame in the Flood (Steam key) free at Humble for another 21hrs. Don't forget to claim/reveal the key within the time period (usually a couple weeks). You can sit on the revealed key probably indefinitely.

Plus there are deals and free games if you check in on the Humble Store main page five times in the next week or so.

The Humble Monthly Trove currently offers all users the chance to download and keep four free games, even those who do not subscribe to this monthly game offering. These are not AAA titles, but the price is right as long as you act before the end of the month. The four free titles are: Quiet City, Knight Club, Uurnog, and Hitchhiker
https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly/trove

Unreal Golllllld Edition free for the next two days on GoG and Steam.

Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, a VN / TBS (visual novel slash turn based strategy) newly available for free on GoG and oldly free on Steam.

Also, some Battlefield 1 and 4 DLC free on Origin and PSN.

I installed Unreal and experienced the blast from the past of looking up a tweak guide, and messing with the game's config file. :) Glide ftw on my GTX 1070, Direct3D was hitching. I also lowered the game speed to 60, and dropped the mouse speed a notch. And set the mouse look back to what's considered normal these days, and enabled WASD for movement. A few other tweaks as well.

I installed Unreal and experienced the blast from the past of looking up a tweak guide, and messing with the game's config file. :) Glide ftw on my GTX 1070, Direct3D was hitching. I also lowered the game speed to 60, and dropped the mouse speed a notch. And set the mouse look back to what's considered normal these days, and enabled WASD for movement. A few other tweaks as well.

Did the same yesterday! Was thinking to myself how I was playing this game on keyboard only back in a day ... :)
On Vega 56 this game plays smoothly locked to 60FPS! I will try it at 144Hz synced next when I get a moment. Love the jump strafe movement mechanics and ambient music!
Good old game!

Did the same yesterday! Was thinking to myself how I was playing this game on keyboard only back in a day ... :)
On Vega 56 this game plays smoothly locked to 60FPS! I will try it at 144Hz synced next when I get a moment. Love the jump strafe movement mechanics and ambient music!
Good old game!
I was on the fence about posting the following, my OCD regarding tweaking a game was kicking in, but you might find it of value. Over at another site I posted this, more or less.
Yadda, yadda, yadda, after a lot of trial an error it looks like I got s3tc textures, and DX10, at 3840 x 2160 working. I screwed up initially by not checking that I extracted the DX10 renderer, and its separate folder with other files, into the Unreal system directory. It has to be aimed there.

I felt bad about downloading all the textures from that site you linked to, but the other links that were listed there were dead. Fast server though. www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Downloads/Textures/ExtremeEnd/StockUnreal/UnrealExtremeEnd.htm

Later I found what might be a different source, www.moddb.com/games/unreal/downloads/s3tc-highend-texture-package, but that doesn't have the other uber textures offered at the other source. Edit: Weird, other textures might be larger?

Here's a link i found for a DX10 renderer that works with older Unreal games. it was mentioned in a GOG forum thread.

kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/

So I just had to change the renderer to the DX10 one by choosing the option to change renderers within the game, and then when it relaunches choosing DX10.

Within the folder is an nglide configurer. I launched it, and chose 3840 x 2160, but I might not have needed to do that as maybe the option for that resolution is under the in game preferences selector. Bleh, my head is spinning, just like nearly twenty years ago!
smiley.png

P.S. My Unreal Gold folder grew to over 4 GB in size.

Once in a while I get a texture, maybe an alpha one, that doesn't render correctly. IIRC it's only been the one that those dart shooting octopus looking things are behind. When loading a saved game the game stays paused until I hit Esc, and then Esc again.

Other than that, very smooth. I brought the game speed back up a bit, but less than 100%. And wow, I love the way the castle, sky, and the sun, look in the intro sequence with these new textures and skybox. They don't blow me away in game but they do keep it from looking too dated. Only the models look on the old side, but are still respectable.

Edit: Afaik with this version of the game you need the DX10 renderer in order to see the S3tc textures. Though there are patches that re-enable the old way of doing things.

Edit 2: Well, this free game inspired me to pick up the three other Unreal engined ones on sale for $1.99 each. I already downloaded these new fangled fan created S3tc ones for UT. I guess I'll have to replay Unreal 2 in it's vanilla form, though I'm sure there are plenty of mods for UT 2004. I have UT 3 stored away on a drive somewhere. It has no DRM so I could just copy it over as I moved from one PC to another. IIRC it runs fine on newer OS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back