Impact of XBox One X on the industry and competition *spawn

Because NPD continues to indicate that X1X is having a major factor in the Xbox family of sales per month. We see no such mention on the 4Pro side of things.

2018 YoY by month:
Jan +48%
Feb +44%
Mar +24%

No exclusives, no games remember right?
Easy to pinpoint here.

Seems kinda shaky to me, TBH.

Seems kinda shaky to me, TBH.
To be respectful, looking back I didn’t specify exactly what I was referring to. So he was valid in assuming it was sales I was referring to.

What I wrote is not definitive, but imo probable.

You’d assume if there’s is no 1X and no changes and no sales those YOY gains have to come from somewhere. For my point to be valid, Xbox only needs to beat 1:7 (or 1:5 IIRC, 20%? ) for the first year operating for 4Pro

Last edited:
It'll have some impact no doubt, though also the XB1S being $50 cheaper in jan-mar 2018 than jan-mar 2018 will also help
Agreed. A weaker argument, majority of it hinging off Matt’s comment from NPD about X1X being a strong driver for Xbox’s performance. Which could mean a multitude of things. I would bring in Rangers to provide a cross compare, but I think we’d be going well off topic.

Anyway, I think, without derailing the topic here, X1X impact seems to be based on how long Sony will wait for next gen, and imo that seems linked to 4K adoption. Or if we believe that 4Pro is just a VR machine, then perhaps Sony will be moving to position a 4K box soon.

XBX can’t be measured in just plus sales. What says that the overall YOY XB sales couldnt be in the negative territory without the X.

MS has used the X to create a lot of positive buzz around the XBOX brand since 2016 E3. It would have been a lot harder to pull that off with just price drops and rehashed PR around games like SoT, SOD2 and Forza.

The X leads to a lot more positive coverage with most new releases because it’s not just the “Xbox has the worst version” anymore.

It also means MS isn’t limited to cheapest or the most price sensitive consumers in the market.

Last edited:
I also think it has a positive impact on future Xbox consoles as there should be plenty of lessons learned in engineering from the Xbox One X. MS now has the smaller physical and quieter acoustic footprints while boosting more power than the competition. MS should now be competitive if not the leader in that area for next-gen consoles. I think it's safe to say gone are the days of large and loud consoles (assuming Sony can adjust theirs to fit).

Yeah, this delusion about flops mattering is really head scratching. I think $399 would have been better but MS was clearly adamant about native 4k30. I think its fine to have a boutique system but $500 really isn't going to do much to move the needle for the install base. Flops was never an issue with the Xbone to begin with (even though many think it was) and I think MS is putting so much emphasis on it glazes over the real issues as to why the base system massively underperformed. Perhaps MS does understand that system processing power wasn't the issue, but the messaging and push for the X1X in advertising leads me to think otherwise. I mean fanboys and forum warriors care about things like system power since they are talking points but the vast majority don't give a shit they just want games to play at a reasonable price.
power is more important than that. The SNES was powerful yet fun and extremely charismatic, but it was the most powerful, imho. PS4 has been always shown as the most powerful console, in fact havent it been for the x360 legacy I dont think the Xbox one would sell at all

Last edited:
MS should now be competitive if not the leader in that area for next-gen consoles.

I doubt it. These are semi-custom AMD APUs in a box. The shape and cooling will be different but in the end, its a PCB with an AMD chip and pick your memory type. Amazon could announce their own ~10TF AMD box tomorrow and I think it would be equally thin and quiet. Which bring me to my point that hardware power cannot be a differentiator anymore because of the commodity hardware involved. Software selection/quality (Sony and Nintendo dumping money into their studios) and other value added services (MS BC and Gamepass) have to be the end all to end all.

power is more important than that. The SNES was powerful yet fun and extremely charismatic, but it was the most powerful, imho

Its really not. The NEOGEO AES was far far more powerful and it was released 1 year before the SNES hit NA and you didn't see those flying off the shelves at 650 a pop (even though I would loved to have had one). But regardless, the SNES success lied in its dominate 1st party and third party support that other platforms (even the Genesis) could only dream about.

I doubt it. These are semi-custom AMD APUs in a box. The shape and cooling will be different but in the end, its a PCB with an AMD chip and pick your memory type. Amazon could announce their own ~10TF AMD box tomorrow and I think it would be equally thin and quiet.

Right now MS holds the lead in that. Its up to the competition (Sony) to prove they are willing and able to match.

have to be the end all to end all.
This argument highly depends on the companies all having the same goals or same desirable timelines thus having the same hardware.

It takes years to properly plan their next console, each one looking customized to fit the needs of what they think is the future of gaming (and how the business can monetize from that space). We’ve not seen two similar consoles, and I don’t suspect that we will for next gen either.

Scenario: you are MS or Sony choosing the direction for what you think is where gaming is headed. Realistically to keep costs down you can only optimized your system for 1 thing; pick one:

* VR (maturing)
* 4K/8K (road well travelled)
* Ray Tracing (emerging)

All three have different needs and be ready at different times.

Last edited:
The shape and cooling will be different.
Yeah...that's quite important actually. PS4's PCB is completely different to XB1's. The acoustic properties of the consoles are completely different. Using the same parts, you could end up with a large, loud machine or a small, quiet one (at different price points most likely). The ability to engineer solutions that keep noise, size, and costs down is what separates great industrial design from mediocre industrial design. Using the same off-the-shelf components is no indicator of what quality box you'll get at the end.

power is more important than that. The SNES was powerful yet fun and extremely charismatic, but it was the most powerful, imho. PS4 has been always shown as the most powerful console, in fact havent it been for the x360 legacy I dont think the Xbox one would sell at all
Well I agree that at launch the One had nothing going for it but the 360 legacy. That legacy have been further leveraged through BC, not completely irrelevant. MSFT lose one year (if not more) in a 6/7 years race that is more relevant that power, focusing on power is willfully blind spotting one self of others realities.
Users base has a lot of implications that late in the game, implications that power alone can't change.
If I were to state it without restrain I would say the One X is a stupid product, launched at at too high a price too late in the generation cycle. It's power can't be properly leverage because it lacks user base and it is bound to a lower common denominator.
MSFT needed a better slim (/cheaper) model, If they needed a reset and it seems they wanted it, they should have moved toward another generation of product. fall 2017 was not the right time because a lack of proper technology. Sony may not be that willing to reset when they just launch a system but more importantly when they have such a huge user base to milk. Another thing to consider is that at the moment technology does not have much to offer to differentiate on product from another and MSFT has a technological advantage thanks to its advanced BC techs.

Now as MSFT released the X my pov is shifted, MSFT is stuck for a little while and it makes sense for SOny to try to transition their users base asap to a new system. I would go further in Sony's pants I would try to launch cheaper than the now standard-ish 399€ to ease that transition and limit MSFT thunder (/power) as they are likely to launch later a stronger system.
It is pretty much like F1 and tires changes (and fuel refills), lesser vehicles have done marvel in some race thanks to clever tires changes (more often), have to go smoothly, race event play a huge role /circumstances, etc BUT for me the stars are aligned for SOny now, they may miss the mark it seems.

Last edited:
BUT for me the stars are aligned for SOny now, they may miss the mark it seems.
hmm.
I think they see the landscape differently.
https://www.techspot.com/news/69882-sony-time-before-playstation-5-released.html

With so much attention now on Microsoft and its upcoming Xbox One X console, what does the near future hold for Sony? There have been suggestions that the Japanese company could release its PlayStation 5 as earlier as next year as a response to Microsoft’s 4K machine, but president Shawn Layden says the PS5 won’t arrive for “some time.”

It's power can't be properly leverage because it lacks user base and it is bound to a lower common denominator.
a) it's power is being used well, and you'll see it continue to improve as the product matures.
b) it's not tied to XBO. Phil Spencer is ready to enable exclusives on X1X if he must.

Well it is pretty much what I said they may miss the opportunity or you don't unveil a system till you unveil it especially as you are still selling a profitable system well.

a) it's power is being used well, and you'll see it continue to improve as the product matures.
b) it's not tied to XBO. Phil Spencer is ready to enable exclusives on X1X if he must.
Pretty the last part of your statement makes clear that MSFT is navigating on sight with no plan. I will be surprise if it turns out well.

You’d assume if there’s is no 1X and no changes and no sales those YOY gains have to come from somewhere. For my point to be valid, Xbox only needs to beat 1:7 (or 1:5 IIRC, 20%? ) for the first year operating for 4Pro

YoY growth is like a Rorschach test I suppose. Is it the X, BC, Game Pass or the unofficial XB1-S price drop? I guess it depends on what you want to see. If MS wanted to brag from the mountain top on X sales they could, but they have been quiet so there is no evidence other than some retailer sales lists which shows nothing unusual.

Pretty the last part of your statement makes clear that MSFT is navigating on sight with no plan. I will be surprise if it turns out well.
No not necessarily. He has made it clear that everyone who purchases a console should get full use from it. I'm just waiting for the day he announces that exclusives will be allowed on X1X.

YoY growth is like a Rorschach test I suppose. Is it the X, BC, Game Pass or the unofficial XB1-S price drop? I guess it depends on what you want to see. If MS wanted to brag from the mountain top on X sales they could, but they have been quiet so there is no evidence other than some retailer sales lists which shows nothing unusual.
It feels like MSFT has a system on its hands it is not sure what to do with or what it can do with. They are still fighting whether they like it or not the vanilla PS4. The PRO for all I can tell has not changed the dynamics of this gen, Sony leads consistently and tried something that at least did not impacted significantly the "race".

The F1 analogy works pretty great, they had the early lead tried something, which had pretty neutral results, as for their competition it seems that they went on chasing that initiative instead of managing their own race.
Pretty much the X looks like too big a refill relatively to the race length done late while stuck in the "traffic". Traffic consist of already establish user base and market dynamics big games release, etc.
MSFT got scare to get kicked out of the market by the PS4 PRO, imo that was not a rational analysis of the market risks they were facing. Had that risk been real an early reset, move to next gen was a much better bet for them. Meanwhile they should have continue to have an adamant support for the 1S instead of making it look like an outdated product, not at the core of their strategy and concerns.

Last edited:
Back