Battletech

Yeah, fair enough. I can already tell there are some things they could improve with the UI anyway, so I hope they eventually address things like they did with the Shadowrun games.

Oh well.
Did you buy on Steam or another service?
Just wondering if some of the services with their added features are causing headaches.

Ouch that's unfortunate. I almost played for 24 hours straight. I haven't done that since the 90's. Damn. I did have to restart the game once as it seemed to get kind of sluggish around 12 hours into the game. Weird hitching at times during gameplay, slow level loading, etc.

Going to have to try to control my desire to play this game.

If this keeps up, this will easily be my game of the year. But it's definitely not a game for everyone.

Ooof, and Pillars of Eternity 2 is coming out soon. Good-bye life.

Regards,
SB
24 hours and the game is not done yet?
holy crap

I like the combat, so I indulged in just being a mercenary and ignoring the story for quite a few hours. :D

Regards,
SB
Is there good flexibility with regards to the range of mechs one can own from light to heavies or any constraints (I assume cost/parts come into it but anything else)?

Is there good flexibility with regards to the range of mechs one can own from light to heavies or any constraints (I assume cost/parts come into it but anything else)?
You start with 6 slots in your mech-bay, this can later be expanded to 12 and 18. You can also have unlimited (i belive) mechs in storage, but they need to be dragged out of there and refit (which takes time + money) before they can be used on the battlefield. Max on the battlefield is 4 afaik,

Played another 8'ish hours yesterday, had the game crash on me after a mission once, so had to replay that mission, so would recommend saving when you get close to finishing a mission just to be safe.

You start with 6 slots in your mech-bay, this can later be expanded to 12 and 18. You can also have unlimited (i belive) mechs in storage, but they need to be dragged out of there and refit (which takes time + money) before they can be used on the battlefield. Max on the battlefield is 4 afaik,
Thanks.
How many types of light/heavy mechs have you been able to select from to put on the battlefield?
Just wondering how broad the options are and whether the strategy is deciding on the type to use based upon terrain/mission.
I appreciate wpn types are pretty limited due to the period it is meant to be set (or that is what I understood) but hoping there is a nice selection of mechs; Marauder version II one of them or different period of battletech history?

Last edited:

There is a wide selection of mech's available as well as a wide selection of weapons and equipment you can put on them. There are variations of mech Chassis as well (for example, a LRM focused Locust or laser focused Locust). Also, higher tier versions of weapons can come with up to 3 different modiers (crit chance, damage, stability damage, accuracy, etc.)

Keep in mind this is still relatively early in the Battletech universe (no Clan invasions yet). So it's closer to early Battletech. However, unlike early versions of Battletech, it doesn't allow you to choose what engine to slot into a mech.

Outside of that you are completely free to kit out your mech, however you wish within the restraints of the mech chassis you are modifying. So you can choose how much armor you want, how many heatsinks, if you want jump jets - how many you want, what weapons etc. Hell, you could gear out for a Melee focused mech if you so desired.

There's an almost limitless combinations of mech's and mech loadouts that you could potentially take onto a battlefield. While you are limited to one lance of mechs (4 mechs) to take on any mission, you aren't limited on tonnage. You could go 4 light mechs if you wished (not recommended) or 4 assault mechs (not recommended in certain missions).

Add to that, Pilots are customizable with skills that great affects what roles they fulfill and how they perform in those roles.

Regards,
SB

There is a wide selection of mech's available as well as a wide selection of weapons and equipment you can put on them. There are variations of mech Chassis as well (for example, a LRM focused Locust or laser focused Locust). Also, higher tier versions of weapons can come with up to 3 different modiers (crit chance, damage, stability damage, accuracy, etc.)

Keep in mind this is still relatively early in the Battletech universe (no Clan invasions yet). So it's closer to early Battletech. However, unlike early versions of Battletech, it doesn't allow you to choose what engine to slot into a mech.

Outside of that you are completely free to kit out your mech, however you wish within the restraints of the mech chassis you are modifying. So you can choose how much armor you want, how many heatsinks, if you want jump jets - how many you want, what weapons etc. Hell, you could gear out for a Melee focused mech if you so desired.

There's an almost limitless combinations of mech's and mech loadouts that you could potentially take onto a battlefield. While you are limited to one lance of mechs (4 mechs) to take on any mission, you aren't limited on tonnage. You could go 4 light mechs if you wished (not recommended) or 4 assault mechs (not recommended in certain missions).

Add to that, Pilots are customizable with skills that great affects what roles they fulfill and how they perform in those roles.

Regards,
SB
Thanks for the info and has a greater level of mech modding than I actually expected.
Your probably one of the most clued up on this; is the Marauder II available at this time period/in this game or would it be the earlier version of Marauder (nowhere near as fun)?
I guess the question may be a bit academic due to the level of mech modification one can do although I assume due to the engine slot fixed it would be tricky to make a Marauder into a Marauder II (I think it can fire all its weapons more frequently and with better armor for its weight).

For some strange reason always loved the Marauder, probably due to the books rather than game lol.
Edit:
I forgot that while they mention Marauder in Kickstarter is it affected by Unseen/Harmony Gold?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and has a greater level of mech modding than I actually expected.
Your probably one of the most clued up on this; is the Marauder II available at this time period/in this game or would it be the earlier version of Marauder (nowhere near as fun)?
I guess the question may be a bit academic due to the level of mech modification one can do although I assume due to the engine slot fixed it would be tricky to make a Marauder into a Marauder II (I think it can fire all its weapons more frequently and with better armor for its weight).

For some strange reason always loved the Marauder, probably due to the books rather than game lol.
Edit:
I forgot that while they mention Marauder in Kickstarter is it affected by Unseen/Harmony Gold?

Not sure on the Marauder. I have heard that some mech chassis are very difficult to obtain and I believe the Marauder is one of those. It's one of those iconic mechs in the Battletech universion. It has a very striking and menacing silhouette.

I'm still pretty early in the game (have only done 2 of the story missions) even though I've put in 22 hours so far. :p I forced myself not to play yesterday to get some stuff done and to actually eat and get some sleep. :D

At the point I'm at the highest tonnage mech I have is a 65 tonner and it's the only one I've seen. I got lucky enough to shoot both his legs out to be able to salvage all 3 parts of the mech (need 3 parts to rebuild salvaged mechs) and lucky enough that I had enough Player Choice salvage slots for that mission that I could pick all 3 parts. I imagine I'll start to run into 75 ton mechs at some point and that's when I'll have a chance of running into a marauder.

It's just a lot of fun to go around and play mercenary. I think today I'll do another story mission or two and then go and play mercenary for a bit.

Regards,
SB

I cannot believe how much a freaking mess Harmony Gold has made to Battletech, although it is not all their fault looking at the history.
Interesting article how Harmony Gold (rights outside of Japan) do not even own all the mech visual rights but continued to sue as if they did: https://www.pcgamesn.com/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries/mechwarrior-copyright-infringement-harmony-gold

The case against Harebrained I understand was dropped by the judge/court earlier this month and not allowed to be raised again, just leaving it against Piranha Games until that goes to court.

Last edited:
Oh and something to do for funsies.

Take a chassis that has a lot of missle hardpoints located in places with a lot of slots. Strip away most of the armor and load it with as many high capacity LRMs and supporting ammo as you can.

Put a pilot with high tactical (indirect fire bonus) and gunnery (weapon hit chance bonus) in it.

Make sure the mission isn't a mission that makes it difficult to avoid contact with other mechs.

Park the mech behind a hill or mountain (no line of sight to enemies) and far away (to avoid sensor lock) and rain down holy fire on your enemies. :) You want it to be almost impossible for the enemy to retaliate against it as it's very much a paper tiger. All that ammo also makes it a walking bomb. :p

It's both satisfying and amusing. However, note that this will make it almost impossible to recover much salvage as the missles will pummel every part of the mech. Also since missles hit multiple times each shot, there's a much higher chance for an LRM salvo to critically hit a weapon destroying it in the process. That also makes it unsalvageable.

For those new to Battletech, critical hits operate differently from other games. It is not a %chance to do more damage as with other games. Instead, once a mech's outer armor is breached you start doing damage to the mech's internal structure.

Once you are damaging the mech's structural armor, there's a %chance to hit a component (weapon, heatsink, ammo, etc.) located in that location. The more items in a location, the higher chance a shot will critically hit an item instead of structural armor. Each item still has the same %chance to hit based on how much space it takes up.

In the case of weapons, heatsinks, etc. the item is first damaged (reducing effectiveness) and then destroyed on the 2nd hit. In the case of ammo. Ammo will explode and cause further damage. :p Sometimes this will result in that location being destroyed and potentially doing damage to adjacent locations.

Regards,
SB

A Centurion is a good start for a LRM mech. I think i managed to squeeze in 2x LRM-15 + 1x LRM-10 on one of those. Very nice for a medium mech you get fairly early on. I still use mine in that role, though eventually it'll be replaced.

I cannot believe how much a freaking mess Harmony Gold has made to Battletech, although it is not all their fault looking at the history.
Interesting article how Harmony Gold (rights outside of Japan) do not even own all the mech visual rights but continued to sue as if they did: https://www.pcgamesn.com/mechwarrior-5-mercenaries/mechwarrior-copyright-infringement-harmony-gold

The case against Harebrained I understand was dropped by the judge/court earlier this month and not allowed to be raised again, just leaving it against Piranha Games until that goes to court.

As far as i know/remember, the case against HBS was for the locust+atlas+shadowhawk or somesuch, while the case against MWO/Piranha is with "the unseen" mechs.

Hopefully Piranha wins that one, and then we'll most likely see them used by HBS in Battletech aswell.

As far as i know/remember, the case against HBS was for the locust+atlas+shadowhawk or somesuch, while the case against MWO/Piranha is with "the unseen" mechs.

Hopefully Piranha wins that one, and then we'll most likely see them used by HBS in Battletech aswell.
Its a mess tbh.
The complaint also had other aspects such as breach of original agreement by Jordan Weisman (working closely and part of the Harebrained IP-license complaint and page 22 of updated complaint), so there is more to the story although the court paper is 67 pages so anyone wanting to go through it well would need a fair bit of time.
In the paper seems this is the crux against Harebrained-Jordan Weisman:
This prior litigation concluded when the parties agreed to a “Settlement Agreement and Mutual General Release” (the “Settlement Agreement”), which had an effective date of December 19, 1996, and to which Weisman was a signatory. In addition to agreeing to a monetary payment, Weisman and his co-defendants agreed that they would not “make any use, and will not authorize [their] licensees to make any use, of the visual design images of the twelve (12) Battlemechs listed below except as provided in this agreement.” These 12 “Battlemechs” include those detailed below in Paragraph 28, which presents side-by-side comparisons of Harebrained Schemes’ and Weisman’s current warrior robot designs and the corresponding Harmony Gold Robotech designs. Weisman also agreed to the entry of a permanent injunction and acknowledged that violating the use restriction would cause Harmony Gold “irreparable harm.” Further, Weisman agreed that he would not “contest, nor [would he] assist any other person or entity in contesting, Harmony Gold’s exclusive ownership worldwide, excluding Japan,” of the Robotech merchandising rights. This Settlement Agreement is confidential, and therefore has not been attached to this Complaint.

Outside of that complaint you are right it then goes on to try and show Locust/Atlas/Shadowhawk, but that seems separate fact-issue due to listed/shown separately to the ones in Paragraph 28.
And part of the crux is that Harebrained are licensing through Piranha Games for some of the IP, but the court paper complaint from Harmony Gold goes all over the place.
Piranha Games sets up the counter-argument regarding Harmony Games do not own all the relevant licenses (this also includes the Marauder amongst others), which would be applicable as well to the Harebrained case that was thrown out but some of the case against Harebrained seems rather stretched like you say.

Last edited:
Oh and something to do for funsies.

Take a chassis that has a lot of missle hardpoints located in places with a lot of slots. Strip away most of the armor and load it with as many high capacity LRMs and supporting ammo as you can.

Put a pilot with high tactical (indirect fire bonus) and gunnery (weapon hit chance bonus) in it.

Make sure the mission isn't a mission that makes it difficult to avoid contact with other mechs.

Park the mech behind a hill or mountain (no line of sight to enemies) and far away (to avoid sensor lock) and rain down holy fire on your enemies. :) You want it to be almost impossible for the enemy to retaliate against it as it's very much a paper tiger. All that ammo also makes it a walking bomb. :p

It's both satisfying and amusing. However, note that this will make it almost impossible to recover much salvage as the missles will pummel every part of the mech. Also since missles hit multiple times each shot, there's a much higher chance for an LRM salvo to critically hit a weapon destroying it in the process. That also makes it unsalvageable.

For those new to Battletech, critical hits operate differently from other games. It is not a %chance to do more damage as with other games. Instead, once a mech's outer armor is breached you start doing damage to the mech's internal structure.

Once you are damaging the mech's structural armor, there's a %chance to hit a component (weapon, heatsink, ammo, etc.) located in that location. The more items in a location, the higher chance a shot will critically hit an item instead of structural armor. Each item still has the same %chance to hit based on how much space it takes up.

In the case of weapons, heatsinks, etc. the item is first damaged (reducing effectiveness) and then destroyed on the 2nd hit. In the case of ammo. Ammo will explode and cause further damage. :p Sometimes this will result in that location being destroyed and potentially doing damage to adjacent locations.

Regards,
SB
Headshots (or melee attack it) and flanking/back of the mech best way (ideally rather than practical) to take down if wanting to salvage?

Is there a way to pick your shots? Can you focus down a leg until it's gone ?

Headshots (or melee attack it) and flanking/back of the mech best way (ideally rather than practical) to take down if wanting to salvage?

Even with called shot and a pilot with called shot bonus your headshot chance isn't going to go above 5%. Not really worth it.

There are 2 good ways to try to take down a mech and be able to choose all 3 parts in one mission.
  • Take out both legs. With called shot bonus from tactical you can get this above 60% on legs.
  • Take out the pilot. Most mech pilots will have 3 health.
    • Knockdown does 1 health damage. Not hard with the right weapon loadouts.
    • Destroying a shoulder does 1 health damage.
    • Headshot crits do 1 health damage.
Depending on how damaged parts are and how damaged the pilot is (you'll have to keep track of this yourself as it isn't displayed in game) when you knock down a mech (automatic called shots on knocked down mechs) you may want to go for shoulders or legs.

Also, sometimes if a mission is rough you'll want to just try to kill them as fast as possible, called shots on damaged torso can take a mech out of the battle quickly. Or you might want to try to take out the part that has a very damaging weapon attached (AC20, for example).

All part of the fun. The story mission I just did (I think it was the 3rd or 4th one) was a doozy to try to get all bonus objectives (save at least 6 ammo crates and destroy all fleeing ammo transports before they evacuate). Mechs in that mission can dish out a lot of damage pretty quickly and there are LRM towers that when combined with other mechs can quickly destabilize your mechs making them fall down and become easy targets. Would have been much easier to ignore the bonus objectives, but I liked the challenge and boy was it a challenge.

Regards,
SB

Back