Far Cry 5

warcrow

Regular
Anyone playing this?

I'm a pretty big fan of the series and am mostly having a blast. I had a really great moment though that I need to share.

Sooooo My failed and hilarious sneak attempted at freeing a hostage involves a nosey bear, boomer dying, an explosive barrel, a cultist and a flaming Turkey.

Anyone playing this?

I'm a pretty big fan of the series and am mostly having a blast. I had a really great moment though that I need to share.

Sooooo My failed and hilarious sneak attempted at freeing a hostage involves a nosey bear, boomer dying, an explosive barrel, a cultist and a flaming Turkey.

That last part is so Far Cry... :LOL:

But yes, I'm enjoying the game as well.

I really enjoyed the original FarCry and played it through multiple times (even once again last year!)

I really disliked FarCry 2, so much so that I've never tried playing it again.

I remember mostly enjoying FarCry 3, but somehow it never got hold of me and I never actually finished it.

And I never bought FarCry 4. I've read good things about it though.

Trying to decide if I want to spend $60 (or more) on FC5. Maybe a dumb question, but which version does the forum recommend purchasing?

I really enjoyed the original FarCry and played it through multiple times (even once again last year!)

I really disliked FarCry 2, so much so that I've never tried playing it again.

I remember mostly enjoying FarCry 3, but somehow it never got hold of me and I never actually finished it.

And I never bought FarCry 4. I've read good things about it though.

Trying to decide if I want to spend $60 (or more) on FC5. Maybe a dumb question, but which version does the forum recommend purchasing?
Far Cry 2 is a terrible game. 3 is better and 4 is a lot better.

Hahaha, yeah I remember FC2 being pretty universally hated. So, which FC5 "SKU" should I be thinking of purchasing? Does it really matter?

Well, FC2 was a complete slap in the face compared to FC1. It was nothing like FC1 and inferior in almost every way except for some upgrades in some graphical areas. Gameplay was complete arse.

Hell, Crysis is closer to FC1 than any of the other games in the FC franchise. It's too bad that Crytek didn't keep the rights to the IP but instead sold them to UBIsoft.

Regards,
SB

Well, FC2 was a complete slap in the face compared to FC1. It was nothing like FC1 and inferior in almost every way except for some upgrades in some graphical areas. Gameplay was complete arse.

Hell, Crysis is closer to FC1 than any of the other games in the FC franchise. It's too bad that Crytek didn't keep the rights to the IP but instead sold them to UBIsoft.

Regards,
SB
Yeah, I love the Crysis games. I didn't buy Crysis 3 because I could never bring myself to sign up for Origin for digital delivery, and I didn't want to install an optical drive to load the game from media.

Got my Aorus 1080Ti installed last night, and thanks to your reply I kicked it off with some Crysis 2 at Ultra settings at 1440p with 2x DSR, whatever rez that ends up being. Obviously they were never heavy story games, but I always enjoyed the Crysis gameplay and specifically the suit mechanics.

Yeah, I love the Crysis games. I didn't buy Crysis 3 because I could never bring myself to sign up for Origin for digital delivery, and I didn't want to install an optical drive to load the game from media.

Yup, same here. I would have bought Crysis 3 as soon as it was released if it hadn't required Origin. I still don't have it installed and I'm likely never going to install it.

Regards,
SB

Got my Aorus 1080Ti installed last night, and thanks to your reply I kicked it off with some Crysis 2 at Ultra settings at 1440p with 2x DSR, whatever rez that ends up being. Obviously they were never heavy story games, but I always enjoyed the Crysis gameplay and specifically the suit mechanics.

I liked Crysis 3. There's definitely story there but yeah I have a hard time following stories in shooters. Some people seem to know it well though! It's a beautiful game with further refinements to the gameplay.

Origin is pretty useless aside from a few games. Crysis, Dead Space, and Mass Effect are what I have bought on there. I like all the freebies they've given away though! I have more free games than purchased.

I picked up a 1080 Ti to run my OLED 4k TV. The 1070 needed to go. Even the 1080 Ti isn't fast enough though. Kingdom Come could use double the power. Dishonored 2 still needs adaptive resolution enabled. Etc. I doubt the GPU vendors are going to deliver that kind of power anytime soon. I feel like PC needs a cheat like checkerboard 4k. Non native resolutions are too soft.

Last edited:
I picked up a 1080 Ti to run my OLED 4k TV.

How long have you had the OLED display hooked up to your PC? Have you noticed any burn in whether temporary or permanent? How many hours per day would you estimate the PC display is being used to display non-gaming content on the OLED?

I've been thinking about getting one of LG's OLED TVs for use with my PC, but considering that on some days I'm displaying the desktop for 8+ hours, I'm somewhat concerned about potential burn in.

Regards,
SB

How long have you had the OLED display hooked up to your PC? Have you noticed any burn in whether temporary or permanent? How many hours per day would you estimate the PC display is being used to display non-gaming content on the OLED?

I've been thinking about getting one of LG's OLED TVs for use with my PC, but considering that on some days I'm displaying the desktop for 8+ hours, I'm somewhat concerned about potential burn in.

Regards,
SB
I haven't noticed any permanent problems. It's the LG 65". I had a 50" Samsung plasma before it for 9 years without trouble. I've seen image retention but it goes away, just like with the plasma.

I use it for a mix of shows and games. PC and consoles. It has had its share of multi-hour game sessions. I don't do things like game for 6 hours straight though. You certainly don't want UI elements on the screen continuously for many hours.

Last edited:
Back