Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It came from Semi Accurate. Shortbread posted what came from the subscriber portion of that site.

Next Generation Hardware Speculation: Dreams, Wishes, Cluelessness and a Dash of Reality [2018]

PS5 and next Xbox launch speculation - timing and specification

spec·u·la·tion: the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

40 y/o man living with his parents: see closest mirror and/or 90% of gamers. :yep2::mrgreen::love:
Aren't we talking about the "leaked" specs in the digital foundry video?

Huge difference between speculation (okay) and pretending to have real info (troll).

Maybe a 45 year old in his mom's basement.

Aren't we talking about the "leaked" specs in the digital foundry video?

Huge difference between speculation (okay) and pretending to have real info (troll).

Maybe a 45 year old in his mom's basement.
No.
We're talking about Semi Accurate website claiming they had real info.
They charged for a subscription to see it.
People paid and put the info out there, Shortbread just repeated it for those asking.

No.
We're talking about Semi Accurate website claiming they had real info.
They charged for a subscription to see it.
People paid and put the info out there, Shortbread just repeated it for those asking.
Sorry was hard to follow since those numbers are exactly the same as in the video so I thought he was referring to that. Didn't realize the SemiAccurate guy posted actual numbers. Good way to further ruin his rep if it turns out false as opposed to just saying Zen of some sort.

Sorry was hard to follow since those numbers are exactly the same as in the video so I thought he was referring to that. Didn't realize the SemiAccurate guy posted actual numbers. Good way to further ruin his rep if it turns out false as opposed to just saying Zen of some sort.
No worries.
Thread starts here:

No worries.
Thread starts here:
Yeah I'm aware of the SemiAccurate article. Just didn't realize he also claimed actual specs. Things moves fast. If the Digital Foundry guys says those specs are fake, the SemiAccurate guy who has the same specs was had too I guess.

Yeah I'm aware of the SemiAccurate article. Just didn't realize he also claimed actual specs. Things moves fast. If the Digital Foundry guys says those specs are fake, the SemiAccurate guy who has the same specs was had too I guess.
yea I think they went up and went down on resetera. I could be wrong though, perhaps maybe i read too fast myself.

I would re-do the Xbox 360 and PS3 propositions. Release a 256GB base SKU to keep base price down, and do a 1TB ‘Elite’ version and let the market decide which should be more popular. A single SKU is highly preferred, but if that is what it takes to get a SSD standard, then so be it as far as I’m concerned.

imo 500 GB will be sweet spot, but first we have to have a consoles that are capable of full bandwidth a SSD can provide

imo 500 GB will be sweet spot, but first we have to have a consoles that are capable of full bandwidth a SSD can provide
From a consumer convenience standpoint, I agree. However the cost delta between 256GB and 512GB would either increase base SKU cost, increase loss per console, decrease other specs, or some combination of the three.

With the focus on DD and DLC, I can't see a small SSD being standard. Maybe an SSHD.
NAND would likely be on the main board or on some other module. You don't want consumers messing with your mission-critical cache layer. You also don't want SSHD firmware making caching decisions for applications. If memory costs stay high, I wonder if an Optane-ish slow "memory" tier would be viable? Would it significantly benefit a game's memory access pattern over NAND (which isn't great at low QD random reads)?

I like iroboto's suggestion of an m.2 SSD. Include a smallish drive, say 64GB, along with a reasonably capacious HDD.

Both can be upgraded or replaced by the user, so performance can be improved, and wear and tear is easily mitigated.

That seems like the best of both worlds to me: the speed of flash, and the cost per GB of mechanical.

I'd go with HDD. You still need to support online purchases, and that optical drive will be horribly noisy running full tilt all the time.

True. Perhaps a middle ground then?

Each console comes with an HDD, and you may install games to it - maybe that's even encouraged by the system - but you may also just put the disc in and play.

I recently got an external HDD, and it's lovely to know that I can put a disc in my console and not have to faff around deleting existing games. To grant everyone that ability, without the need for a peripheral, I think would be a wise move, especially for more casual gamers.

7nm volume is a go!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12677/tsmc-kicks-off-volume-production-of-7nm-chips?

Encouraging bit about 7nm+ too:

“Our N7+ silicon result today are very encouraging,” said Mr. Wei. “Not only we have demonstrated equivalent or better performance [and] yield on both 256 Mb SRAM and on product like test vehicle when compared to [the] N7 baseline, we have also demonstrated a tighter distribution of electrical parameters in the areas, where EUV is supplied.”

TSMC is on track to start HVM using its 7 nm EUV process technology in mid-2019. Going forward, the company will increase usage of ASML’s Twinscan NXE step and scan systems when it starts to process wafers using its CLN5 (5 nm) process technology in 2020. According to the co-CEO of TSMC, the EUV results have been encouraging so far: the company’s 256 Mb SRAM test chip is already made with a “consistent double-digit yield”, which is rather good for a technology that is two years away from HVM. The high-ranking executive of TSMC also noted that the EUV infrastructure in general has made a good progress in the recent quarters. In particular, the company observed lower pellicle defects, higher

I'm sure Apple and not-friends (mobile) are happy about that for products later this year. :p

Last edited:
Well high volume doesn't necessarily mean cost effective, but we should still be happy EUV wasn't delayed once more. They've been saying 2019 for a while now.

There seems to be a continuous stream of articles about the progress of euv and 7nm on semiengineering.com, a bit too advanced for me but at least I get to learn new words like "stochastic".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back