Yooka-Laylee, spiritual sucessor of Banjo Kazooie [PS4, XO, NX]

Game is getting its teeth kicked in by reviewers unfortunately. That said, some of the criticisms sound like huge positives to me. Like the fact that the game's level design is often twisty and labyrinthean in a Metroid Prime sort of way, and that it's not holding your hand whatsoever. Almost sounds like the Dark Souls of platformers. Down to the shitty camera:)

I think the day 0 patch has a good portion focusing on fixes to the camera movements.

I hope player reviews are positive.

I could tell by the gameplay videos this was not really what I'd like to see in a platformer revival. It does bring back some of the Banjo Kazooie design choices that were never good to begin with. Their level layouts were, for exemple, very redundant and repetitive. And most missions, specially in tooie, were just about bringing object A to point B, rethreading old ground, with little real platforming chalange along the way. It was mor of a test of patience and memorization of the labirinthy and repetitive level layouts than actual skill at platforming. It's good to see platformers becoming popular again, but I'm more interested in games that push the genre forward than ones that blindly repeat formulas from the 90's.
Good thing Nintendo is making Mario Odyssey, I have great hopes for that one.

A friend of mine who is also reviewing it enjoys it. Unfortunately he also said it was yet another case of a game that should have remained in development for another couple of months at least. Aside from the wonky camera and less than stellar controls, it's apparently quite buggy as well. Not to mention 2 out of its 5 worlds supposedly feel very much unfinished. There's a good reason why we've seen not much of the game besides the lush, quasi-Aztec temple stage.

Game is getting its teeth kicked in by reviewers unfortunately. That said, some of the criticisms sound like huge positives to me.
Ironically this is how I felt when I read Mass Effect Andromeda's reviews. Horses for courses but it's clear there isn't much of a mass market for older school 3D platformers which I guess is why there are so few.

One of the streamers I occasionally watch (Crendor) plays a lot of old school platformers for his stream. Most recently he'd been playing through Banjo Kazooie and loving it. He says that Yooka -Laylee is extremely faithful to the original (what the Kickstarted stated as its goal) in control and gameplay. He's very impressed.

Watching other streamers, it becomes rapidly clear that those reviewers didn't want another Banjo Kazooie, they wanted a modern platformer with more player amenities (like a minimap) which people still playing and enjoying Banjo Kazooie are mocking them for.

This is interesting when we look at another kickstarter that promised to revive an old school platformer Mighty Number 9. Mighty Number 9 tried to reinvent Megaman with a more modern platformer take on it, and got blasted for it almost universally. Yooka Laylee stayed faithful to its platforming roots and got blasted by some and earned high praise from others.

There's a reason that 3D platformers are a relatively small niche if they aren't made by Nintendo. This doesn't change things. 3D platformers just aren't terribly popular. I think it was a good choice by the developers to focus on delivering a game that their core player base would like and not try to develop a 3D platformer that attempts to appeal to a wider audience. Had they tried to please a wider audience, the game likely would have gotten panned heavily by their core player base, while it still likely wouldn't have made much of an impression on the wider audience.

Regards,
SB

I haven't played the full game, but I did play through the full "Toybox" demo put out for backers and pre-orders. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it really felt like a sequel to the original Banjo games, and that's having replayed the N64 original a few months before the demo was released. I'm looking forward to playing the final game despite some low reviews.

The game is going to support Play Anywhere soon.

https://mspoweruser.com/yooka-laylee-support-xbox-play-anywhere-soon/

yooka_laylee-1200x675.jpg

Turns out that's wrong. It will NOT support Xbox Play Anywhere. Looks like this game just relegated itself down to the discount-bin purchase list for me.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ort-play-anywhere-on-xbox-one-windows-10.aspx

[Update] Yooka-Laylee Will Not Support Play Anywhere On Xbox One, Windows 10 Version 'Coming Soon'

Update 4/9/17: Team 17 has informed us that the game will not support the Play Anywhere feature, despite the original Xbox Wire post's claims. Additionally, the Windows 10 version of the game is now listed as "coming soon."

Back