Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-far-cry-engine-tech-evolution

Is Far Cry 2's tech really more advanced than Far Cry 5's?
The answer is yes - but also categorically no.
Well, imho, it is a yes all the way. Far Cry 2 was unique. That's what got me hooked to it in a time where most of my gaming time was focused on Call of Juarez online -my brother got totally addicted to it, sooooo fun- and CoD4 was a thing.

In fact I had never played a FPS like that, originality wise, ever since :) (and also before it was released). I could spend LOTS of time watching how the fire had an effect on the vegetation, the physics, the per pixel hit detection... Breaking a low branch of a tree, or a high branch, any branch or stick, just exactly where you hit with a precision never seen before, was amazing. :yes:

Using a turret gun and shooting at every single tree nearby was a sight to behold. The AI -too bad the respawn-, the fauna and those effects got me totally hooked to it (the campaign itself wasn't that fun 'cos of certain reasons and a slow start, but still...) and also made me try its fun multiplayer mode. I was also very surprised at the fact that the game just took 3GB of space on the X360 (just like the PC version).

The PC version is the best way to play it today -as I showed in some screenshots on a PC gaming thread I created time ago-, and its only flaw is that for whatever reason, to get the game running you must install it on C: drive (shrug). :rolleyes:

This video is quite enlightening as to why the game is leaps and bounds more advanced technologically wise than any FPS ever created -save for Crysis perhaps-.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-far-cry-engine-tech-evolution

Is Far Cry 2's tech really more advanced than Far Cry 5's?
The answer is yes - but also categorically no.
after watching the video a 2nd time, I just dont see the point of it. The difference between FC5 and FC2, imho, is that...well... Current technology seems to be better, right? That's what they want us to believe. :smile2:

The surface..., everything is wonderful, it is like a beautiful painting, or a beautiful photo, but there are other important things in a game, like the physics, the universe, how things interact...:cool: Physics and interaction are inexistent in FC5. People say FC5 is wonderful, it is amazing, it is a very very good game, that's the truth, but people are also speechless when they play it, right?

We just tend to forget, that's all. But FC2, as I remember it, was running on a humble Xbox 360 with ALL those effects at the time. :oops: Now with hardware more than 10 times as powerful we have FC5...

after watching the video a 2nd time, I just dont see the point of it. The difference between FC5 and FC2, imho, is that...well... Current technology seems to be better, right? That's what they want us to believe. :smile2:

The surface..., everything is wonderful, it is like a beautiful painting, or a beautiful photo, but there are other important things in a game, like the physics, the universe, how things interact...:cool: Physics and interaction are inexistent in FC5. People say FC5 is wonderful, it is amazing, it is a very very good game, that's the truth, but people are also speechless when they play it, right?

We just tend to forget, that's all. But FC2, as I remember it, was running on a humble Xbox 360 with ALL those effects at the time. :oops: Now with hardware more than 10 times as powerful we have FC5...

That is a good point.
How good was Crysis/2/3 on the Xbox 360?
From what I remember it was very good.
I think DF raised a valid point regarding FC2 and how Crysis influenced such games at the time.

That is a good point.
I think DF raised a valid point regarding FC2 and how Crysis influenced such games at the time.
When Crysis 3 came out I was waiting for the Xbox One to be released, so I didnt buy the X360 version and can't say whether it was good or bad.

That being said, I have both the X360 and PC version of Crysis 2, and it is a good game. :smile2: Not as good as Crysis but it's not bad. The PC version, even when I ran it on my i5-2450 laptop at the time, featured way better particle effects, despite the fact that my laptop wasn't up for the task back then, but it helped me to make quick comparisons.

Technically wise, Global Illumination was a thing then, and I dreamt about the X360 version having it. I was seeing GI on the X360 version left and right --and thought that the PS3 version didn't have it. But then one fine day the DF article came out and Digital Foundry staff shattered my dreams.

When Crysis 3 came out I was waiting for the Xbox One to be released, so I didnt buy the X360 version and can't say whether it was good or bad.

That being said, I have both the X360 and PC version of Crysis 2, and it is a good game. :smile2: Not as good as Crysis but it's not bad. The PC version, even when I ran it on my i5-2450 laptop at the time, featured way better particle effects, despite the fact that my laptop wasn't up for the task back then, but it helped me to make quick comparisons.

Technically wise, Global Illumination was a thing then, and I dreamt about the X360 version having it. I was seeing GI on the X360 version left and right --and thought that the PS3 version didn't have it. But then one fine day the DF article came out and Digital Foundry staff shattered my dreams.
Image-based GI lighting is much better than nothing.

So after all, PS4 Pro never was 4k, expect when you stand still to take a screenshot. But highest res in motion 1800p with regular res-drops. Full 4k on xb1x with regular res-drops.
Never understood why DF never made a video of the "real" PS4 Pro 4k patch when it was released (there was a 4k patch before that only updated the UI to 4k). After all it was still a remarkable upgrade to the base hardware.

What I really don't understand is, why did ubisoft take so long do develop that 4k patch? I thought x-patches were much easier to develop and they annouced the patch for nov/dec 2017.

Instead of the high resolution they should have shifted the range of vision and LOD distance. Performance seems to be stable.
There are XBOX patches for For Honor, Wildlands, AC: Origins and The Division. So far Wildlands was the biggest improvement in my opinion because I find the difference between Pro and XBOX clearly since the XBOX has higher settings of graphics in many areas. The others are almost the same except for the resolution. Let's see if another Reinbow Six Siege patch is coming.

What does he say at 4:07 and 4:12. I don't understand the word but maybe he says "exceed".

That is a good point.

Visuals were the most advanced on last gen consoles but they made compromises at performance and resolution. For example I cant remember another console game of that time which had real DoF instead of some Blur.

Last edited:
Still watching. Looks like Richard and John are sitting behind the counter. But they also look like they could be standing. Hmmm questions. Questions.

As you expect, freesync/VRR tech is awesome. Glad to see this take form here. Looking forward to next gen, perhaps my OLED replacement will have it.

Some issues with implementation on some titles.

Last edited:
I don't really understand Digital Foundry's comments about the freesync range of 30 or 40+ Hz. There are Freesync monitors available with LFC (low framerate compensation). There might not be any 4k ones yet, but there are definitely some that are 1440p or 1080p. I think once hdmi 2.1 is out, you'll see 4k monitors with LFC.

"Some" is putting it lightly. Seems like in most games they tried it either worked some of the time or not at all. Maybe Nintendo can implement G-sync on the Tegra for comparisons lol.
Hehe.

The titles actually need to support VRR, they tested some titles that explicitly don’t have it. Enabled. But we get an idea now of what happens.

Still watching. Looks like Richard and John are sitting behind the counter. But they also look like they could be standing. Hmmm questions. Questions.

As you expect, freesync/VRR tech is awesome. Glad to see this take form here. Looking forward to next gen, perhaps my OLED replacement will have it.

Some issues with implementation on some titles.
The issue with the monitor they mention after the 7:30 minutes mark, is quite similar to what happens with my monitor. I have a Samsung 4k monitor, a low budget one, quite good for its price, and the only way to take full advantage of its features is via Displayport. It features a HDMI 2.0 port but it doesn't matter. If you use HDMI, you are limited at 4k 30Hz at most. In order to enjoy the native 4k 60Hz you must use the Displayport cable.

Other than that, I am not that impressed with how freesync is implemented, in some cases. When it works it does a good job though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back