nVidia's GPP program is just a legally enforced GITG from hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved that video, honestly.

Unusally straight-shooting and direct for being a corporate production. A keyboard that's all "N"; not a coincidence... :p
Nor is the TV saying "Dell and HP are not down with the GPP - PCPerspective"

No-one picked up that Scott Herkelman (wrote the Radeon piece "A Gamer's Choice") used to be the General Manager for Geforce up to 2015.
Now would be great if he could be interviewed about his thoughts on the matter and how Geforce is changing from when he was involved, would also be great to know if he could give some insight as to whether Nvidia actually bothered to try and optimise Gameworks (probably shackled on such subjects though)

About 20-28 months ago AMD also picked up one of the senior guys for Geforce drivers.

From the statement:
Over the coming weeks, you can expect to see our add-in board partners launch new brands that carry an AMD Radeon product.

This means AMD already lost the battle. nvidia is stealing all the brand investment to themselves, and AMD cards will be relegated to unknown stickers.

To be honest, the timing of the "Arez" brand being announced at the same time as AMD's video and statement, makes Asus look like an innocent-looking freshman girl doing a very long walk of shame in a boys' dorm, after leaving Chad's room. And Chad is the guy with the reputation of screwing a new freshman girl every other night, through sleazy pickup lines.

No one is going to like "Arez" any time soon. Among PC gamers, it'll be mostly associated with the fact that Asus sold off to GPP.
Same will probably be true for the other brands that gigabyte and msi will be coming up with.

And I wonder if it's in AMD's best interest to put the AIBs in this position.
Maybe this was all agreed upon between AMD and the AIBs, and they're hoping for nvidia to absorb all the negative press/karma.
Or maybe AMD has written off the AIBs that are joining GPP, because they will be selling a lot less Radeon cards in the future.

In the meantime, the r/AMD vigilantes that sent e-mails to FCC and the E.U. denouncing GPP have received confirmation that the case is being reviewed in both sides.
It could amount to nothing, of course.

nvidia is stealing all the brand investment to themselves, and AMD cards will be relegated to unknown stickers.
Yeah, I'm wondering how much ad money ASUS is going to spend on their arez "brand", when ROG is on all of their other gaming gear, not just graphics cards and mobos but also headsets, monitors, keyboards, mice, even friggin mouse mats for chrissakes.

One dollar spent on a ROG graphics card is also X cents' worth of free advertising spent on all their other ROG-branded shit, because of customer mindshare.

A dollar spent on their hillbilly cousin "arez" is just that. No freebie bonus advertising for their other gaming gear thrown in, so you'll know it's going to be token efforts at best. Especially considering AMD marketshare.

Edit: (Was a little quick to hit post button... :p)
In the meantime, the r/AMD vigilantes that sent e-mails to FCC and the E.U. denouncing GPP have received confirmation that the case is being reviewed in both sides.
EFFIN W00000T!

As you said, might amount to nothing, but hey, at least people tried.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm wondering how much ad money ASUS is going to spend on their arez "brand", when ROG is on all of their other gaming gear, not just graphics cards and mobos but also headsets, monitors, keyboards, mice, even friggin mouse mats for chrissakes.
I'm sure ASUS will also be looking to see how much resources AMD is willing to contribute towards the promotion of the AREZ brand.

As you said, might amount to nothing, but hey, at least people tried.

It is not them who have launch the probe, in fact, it is the work of both US and UE commission to look at it, and there response was, " we are allready looking at it ". it seems more probable, that Intel, AMD, HP, Dell was the first to contact them.

It is not them who have launch the probe, in fact, it is the work of both US and UE commission to look at it, and there response was, " we are allready looking at it ". it seems more probable, that Intel, AMD, HP, Dell was the first to contact them.

They look at every case which gets submitted to them. It's a standard answer. The question is whether they will really open a case. You could submit a case against intel and amd for not letting other companies into x86 and the first answer would be the same.

Many reviewers and bloggers have come forth saying they got the same tip from AMD as Kyle did, but only Kyle got paid for it?

This is even embarrassing..

The real incompetence (not Brian and not Eric but potentially the source) is if tech of tomorrow received as part of the texts the accusation Kyle was paid; shaking my head because that is beyond inept (if it was the Nvidia employee) and Eric at Tech Tomorrow will probably come under pressure now to fully clarify whether that is part of those texts or something else, but for now it seems inferred as if it is.
Idiocy if it was that source and they (not Brian nor Eric) could be in serious trouble as I see this throwing petrol on the flames, especially if he is an Nvidia employee.

It seems going by Tech of Tomorrow video, most of it relates to his associate at Nvidia being really petty and lashed out at and now burned Tech Tomorrow-Eric by text due to some notable errors (speculation as news) in what was said in a previous Youtube vid on GPP (unfortunately he made a mistake again this time around Strix naming restriction if what was up at Asus regarding Arez was true but different subject to the pettiness-behaviour of his contact), but that associate-contact fooked up beyond pettiness if he also did that accusation in text along with his cutting off Eric.

Last edited:
Many reviewers and bloggers have come forth saying they got the same tip from AMD as Kyle did, but only Kyle got paid for it?

This is even embarrassing..
Yeah, agreed. I've known Kyle a long time and might have a time or two accused him of being biased for a certain vendor over another...but I don't think he'd ever just take money to get a story, in fact I think he'd get pissed off as hell if someone tried and publish their attempt right away. It's just how he is.

I don't always agree with Kyle, but after all these years I do give him credit and respect that I feel he's more than earned. He's one of the good guys out there, even if we're butting heads over something.

Not sure who the Brian in the video is, but if he has texts from Burke saying something like that and I were Kyle I'd get a hold of him and ask for copies and see about some slander since Burke was talking to a journalist of sorts... :)

Yeah, agreed. I've known Kyle a long time and might have a time or two accused him of being biased for a certain vendor over another...but I don't think he'd ever just take money to get a story, in fact I think he'd get pissed off as hell if someone tried and publish their attempt right away. It's just how he is.

I don't always agree with Kyle, but after all these years I do give him credit and respect that I feel he's more than earned. He's one of the good guys out there, even if we're butting heads over something.

Not sure who the Brian in the video is, but if he has texts from Burke saying something like that and I were Kyle I'd get a hold of him and ask for copies and see about some slander since Burke was talking to a journalist of sorts... :)
I thought Burke was Kyle's source while a different one alleged by Kyle is with regards source for (Tech of Tomorrow video) that was done by text to Eric (I thought he does mention a Brian but clearly says the name regarding the texts will be withheld as he thought of them as a friend/associate known for many years).
TBH Kyle flies a bit loose with the truth sometimes in the forum such as when he did not correct anyone saying Asus would remove Strix Gaming from AMD products (a HardOCP moderator), but that is different to bringing up the Tech of Tomorrow allegation.

Last edited:
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/04/19/scott_herkelman_confirms_nvidia_gpp_tactics

Scott Herkelman of AMD:
I wanted to personally thank all of our resellers who are attending our AMD sales event in London this week, it was a pleasure catching up with you and thank you for your support. Many of you told me how our competition tries to use funding and allocation to restrict or block your ability to market and sell Radeon based products in the manner you and your customers desire. I want to let you know that your voices have been heard and that I welcome any others who have encountered similar experiences to reach out to me. Together we can work to ensure that we give gamers what they truly deserve -- freedom of choice.
Bolding by Kyle @ [H]ardOCP

Yeah it is not like AMD directed AIB partners at launch to sell 5xx or Vega through specific retailers/resellers who had the AMD rebate program at maximum value ($100) like Oveclockers UK :)
Also funny how they (OverclockersUK) had some of the highest stock levels for Sapphire GPUs and Vegas in all of Europe.
I quoted in the past Gibbo being honest about rebates from both AMD and Nvidia and specifically 4xx/5xx/Vega, and also GamersNexus who was given confirmation from AIB off the record that AMD directed them to sell to those resellers with the rebate - purpose so the card could be sold at a price point.

Scott needs to be a bit careful how he states this, because that is exactly using funding in a way affecting customers albeit differently to GPP.

Last edited:
Yeah it is not like AMD directed AIB partners at launch to sell 5xx or Vega through specific retailers/resellers who had the AMD rebate program at maximum value ($100) like Oveclockers UK :)
Also funny how they (OverclockersUK) had some of the highest stock levels for Sapphire GPUs and Vegas in all of Europe.
I quoted in the past Gibbo being honest about rebates from both AMD and Nvidia and specifically 4xx/5xx/Vega, and also GamersNexus who was given confirmation from AIB off the record that AMD directed them to sell to those resellers with the rebate - purpose so the card could be sold at a price point.

Scott needs to be a bit careful how he states this, because that is exactly using funding in a way affecting customers albeit differently to GPP.

That has zero to do with what Scott said. When doing that, AMD did not restrict or block any companies' ability to sell NVidia cards.

Well if we go by this information, if that statement is true and AMD gets enough witnesses to testify and corroborate that, then nvidia might be in for a world of hurt.

Comparing nvidia using money and availability blockades to stop retailers from selling Radeon products with AMD's schemes for selling their own cards at MSRP?
Nice try at completely unrelated strawman nonsense.

Just another sad attempt at apologism, I guess.

Thankfully, pretty much everyone is able to see through those tactics by now.

Well if we go by this information, if that statement is true and AMD gets enough witnesses to testify and corroborate that, then nvidia might be in for a world of hurt.

Comparing nvidia using money and availability blockades to stop retailers from selling Radeon products with AMD's schemes for selling their own cards at MSRP?
Nice try at completely unrelated strawman nonsense.

Just another sad attempt at apologism, I guess.

Thankfully, pretty much everyone is able to see through those tactics by now.

You seem to left out a part of the quote there: "...in the manner you and your customers desire." Unless I have missed a major part of story, I have not seen any evidence suggesting that Nvidia has demanded that any AIB terminate their relationship with AMD, merely that Nvidia's products be marketed under separate brand in exchange for additional marketing and auxiliary support.

It could amount to nothing, of course.

LOL, are r/AMD vigilantes next going to target fast food chains for having exclusive beverage deals with either Pepsi Coor Coca-Cola? Types of relationship that A) Exist and B) go quite a bit beyond GPP, which centers upon brand segregation and not the much more restrictive supplier exclusivity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back