Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Simulating flags in the wind.

flag.jpg

http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

Looks pretty.

Well done. :)

Btw, is there any collision detection? I think I saw it clip through itself on some occations.

Yep, it clips itself once in a while. Neat effect when the flag changes too ;)

Almost looks like a real flag blowing in the wind (little rough). Good work!

Wow! This was much better than I thought it would be. Excellent demo. They just keep getting better and better Humus.

Bludd said:
Btw, is there any collision detection? I think I saw it clip through itself on some occations.

No. Would be quite complex to add. So it does clip through occasionally.

Not sure how to make a good UI for that, could add some console commands for angle and strength though.

Humus said:
Bludd said:

No. Would be quite complex to add. So it does clip through occasionally.

Well, that would keep you busy then, eh? :)

You fooled me for a second. I thought something went wrong with the physics when the flag fell. Of course I realized everything was ok when the flag changed.

Humus said:
Not sure how to make a good UI for that, could add some console commands for angle and strength though.

How about w,a,s,d?

w=stronger wind
s=weaker wind
d=rotate wind direction clockwise
a=rotate wind direction counter-clockwise
q and e = more rotation keys (you need horizontal and vertical)

Or on the other hand, why not make wasd default for moving and let cursors control the wind accordingly.

Or maybe control wind direction with mouse whenever a selection was made to cotrol wind instead of camera? (through menu or hotkey)
In fact I would question the need for freely movable camera in this demo altogether. Maybe some static camera angles would do the job just as nicely!

Or maybe even some sliderbars! You ever played dismount? :) http://jet.ro/dismount/

Oh and some simple background gfx wouldn't hurt. Seeing the shadow of the flag on the ground could be cool. But i guess all this is starting to get way past the original point of this particular demo, so i'll just crawl back to my cave.

Back