Shenmue I & II confirmed [PS4, XO, PC]

Guess the big question is if Yuan in Shenmue 2 will be a feminine man (jap version) or a butch woman (euro version). Also, I hope M2 does the conversion!

I like that. I kept my Dreamcast juste for those 2 games. If the price is correct, I'll gladly take them on PS4.

I never played these, but it looks similar to the Yakuza series. Is it same style of gameplay etc?

Ok, the hype for the legend Shenmue is serious, but I did not get into Yakuza when I tried that, so, I will probably pass.
Well it depends ;)
I wasnt drawn to Yakuza as much as I was drawn to Shenmue ;)
There are many similarities but I think the differences are a lot as well
I think Shenmue was a much richer and deeper game for its time than Yakuza.

Just finished Shenmue 1. It did some interesting things for it's time, but I thought it was going to be a big game. But it's surprisingly short in a negative way.

There is barely anything going on in terms of story, gameplay and progression. Also controls are sluggish at best.

No way Shenmue 1 had a recipe for success. It feels like The Order 1886 in terms of how the game progresses. It is too linear and too scripted.

Technically it does some stunning things, like weather conditions, NPCs that have behaviors according to the time of day, an in game date that affects weather, day night transitions, shadows that shift angles according to the time of day etc.

But the geometry is extremely low. And lighting is very flat. The sky is low res.

The sound is horrible. Low sampled and voice acting is very bad. Very short repetitive bad sound samples represent environment effects.

The project looks like it was hastily transfered from Saturn to Dreamcast as and to meet a release deadline, many elements were kept the way they were on the 32 bit console, and cut the first portion of the game and turned it into Shenmue 1.

The whole game takes place basically in Ryo's neighbourhood and the harbor which are tiny in size and predominantly involves talking with people and working on a forklift, barely much in terms of "puzzles", scarce fights scenes, some QTE's, and some optional arcade games. Nothing else. You are just trying to find info about the main bad guy and where he is heading and take the boat to Hong Kong.

Back in the day they were showing scenes in the trailer that I thought were part of 1. Including in the leaked Sega Saturn version. But most of these scenes were actually transfered to 2.

Shenmue 1 is like a glorified introduction. The cost of the game must have included both 1 and 2. No way the first game costed as much as they said.

At this point I believe that the meat of the first 2 games is in Shenmue 2.

Music of the intro was sublime but...

Just finished Shenmue 1. It did some interesting things for it's time, but I thought it was going to be a big game. But it's surprisingly short in a negative way.

There is barely anything going on in terms of story, gameplay and progression. Also controls are sluggish at best.

No way Shenmue 1 had a recipe for success. It feels like The Order 1886 in terms of how the game progresses. It is too linear and too scripted.

Technically it does some stunning things, like weather conditions, NPCs that have behaviors according to the time of day, an in game date that affects weather, day night transitions, shadows that shift angles according to the time of day etc.

But the geometry is extremely low. And lighting is very flat. The sky is low res.

The sound is horrible. Low sampled and voice acting is very bad. Very short repetitive bad sound samples represent environment effects.

The project looks like it was hastily transfered from Saturn to Dreamcast as and to meet a release deadline, many elements were kept the way they were on the 32 bit console, and cut the first portion of the game and turned it into Shenmue 1.

The whole game takes place basically in Ryo's neighbourhood and the harbor which are tiny in size and predominantly involves talking with people and working on a forklift, barely much in terms of "puzzles", scarce fights scenes, some QTE's, and some optional arcade games. Nothing else. You are just trying to find info about the main bad guy and where he is heading and take the boat to Hong Kong.

Back in the day they were showing scenes in the trailer that I thought were part of 1. Including in the leaked Sega Saturn version. But most of these scenes were actually transfered to 2.

Shenmue 1 is like a glorified introduction. The cost of the game must have included both 1 and 2. No way the first game costed as much as they said.

At this point I believe that the meat of the first 2 games is in Shenmue 2.
But i agree with most of your points. This game hasn't aged well and I actually couldn't finish Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast (too boring). I was happy to finish the first game though.

remember the game released in 1999.
Sure it was a graphical showcase back then (and the music was awesome). But remember that Zelda Ocarina of time released one year before and it still rocks today (playing it on original hardware + CRT TV which was masking a lot the low framerate I realize now, but IQ in motion was great though and better than most games nowadays).

remember the game released in 1999.
True. But the game shows signs that it is a victim of its troubled production on the Sega Saturn. It is released 29 December 1999 on the Dreamcast but it plays like a mix between a mediocre 1997 Sega Saturn game and a Dreamcast game.

It just doesnt work as intended. They aimed way too high on the Sega Saturn, had trouble with it and probably transfered most of that work on the Dreamcast.

Shenmue has a captivating story and unique elements that have never been attempted before. But the presentation and execution weren't there. Animations, physics (which barely exist), sound samples and controls are rough and straight out of Sega Saturn quality

Early PS2 games on the other hand blew this out of the water. There are older games on PC, PS1 and N64 that aged much better than this.

controls were not perfect of course, especially with only one analog stick on the DC's controller.
But the concept of a small lively open world was fascinating, with the ability to look at and open a lot of furniture etc... gave a great sense of freedom at the time.
The cutscene, i though some were prerendered as they were so much better looking than anything i had seen on PS1/N64.
the combat system was derived from Virtua fighter and was good, but too scarce.
I agree in did not age well though, but at the time it was a masterpiece and set the bar for the genre.
Shenmue 3 for exemple has stayed too close to the original in its mechanics, and it shows, i did not like it much, too archaic for the period it released.

controls were not perfect of course, especially with only one analog stick on the DC's controller.
But the concept of a small lively open world was fascinating, with the ability to look at and open a lot of furniture etc... gave a great sense of freedom at the time.
The cutscene, i though some were prerendered as they were so much better looking than anything i had seen on PS1/N64.
the combat system was derived from Virtua fighter and was good, but too scarce.
I agree in did not age well though, but at the time it was a masterpiece and set the bar for the genre.
Shenmue 3 for exemple has stayed too close to the original in its mechanics, and it shows, i did not like it much, too archaic for the period it released.
That's the thing. The concept was awesome and miles ahead of its time. And the combat system derived from VF was also amazing as a concept. It didn't receive the polish it needed though in Shenmue. The camera for example and the 360 shift of the directional inputs, worked against the player, and inputs would barely register properly. If they managed to achieve the same flow as in VF this would have done wonders.

This is so much like Sega. There are tons of ideas and attempts they did in gaming history that were ahead of their time and it was them who pioneered what we take as a granted. But it was others that picked what Sega started, did it better and received the credit.

Back