What console did you get and did 1P impact your decision

What console do you own and did 1st parties impact your decision, check all that apply

• Total voters
This is exactly the type elitist BS I was referring to.
Count me in for the same reasons as SB here.
Buying a game console primarily for reasons unrelated to games is statistically low.

My previous reference to the PS3 selling to some people for use as a bluray player is a good example. It sold a few more consoles, and the first parties had no impact on those sales, but that would be a discussion about the importance of bluray, it has nothing to do with 1P.

Buying a game console primarily for reasons unrelated to games is statistically low.

My previous reference to the PS3 selling to some people for use as a bluray player is a good example. It sold a few more consoles, and the first parties had no impact on those sales, but that would be a discussion about the importance of bluray, it has nothing to do with 1P.
I don’t have a problem with people buying anything for any reason. Making them feel inferior for doing so is where I have the issue.

This is exactly the type elitist BS I was referring to.
Count me in for the same reasons as SB here.

You should do a reddit AMA with him!

Cool down man, it was just a joke.

But seriously, personal preferences aside you do know the TV TV SPORTS KINECT TV presentation from Microsoft back in 2013 had probably the worst public reception from a console announcement, ever.
Even worse than Sony's super cringey Giant Enemy Crabs the E3 PS3 reveal.

I don’t have a problem with people buying anything for any reason. Making them feel inferior for doing so is where I have the issue.
I am trying to talk about the substance behind the post. As we are supposed to.
:sly::smile2::oops::LOL::runaway:

Last edited:
Cool down man, it was just a joke.
I'm cool. It's just, tired of seeing people crapping on each other. (we're going through political stuff here in Ontario, liberal v conservative s* flinging is at a maximum right now). Reminds me of I think a thread where you were getting s*posted from Nvidia fans while you were trying to defend AMD. I just sometimes, its hard to know, and we don't actually walk away from the discussion better when things go down the wrong way. I get there is moderation and stuff, but it's not fair to depend on them for everything.

But seriously, personal preferences aside you do know the TV TV SPORTS KINECT TV presentation from Microsoft back in 2013 had probably the worst public reception from a console announcement, ever.
Even worse than Sony's super cringey Giant Enemy Crabs the E3 PS3 reveal.
Yea. Well aware heh.
But also there is a group of individuals who were not upset by that presentation too. Not going to say that if they stuck course it would have been a good thing. What Phil has done, were all the right things to keep xbox afloat (given its complete negative trajectory). But the original vision of using Kinect and having this console platform all in 1 device is still appealing to me. The idea that this console in the family room could be more than just a unit that played games, it would be this integrated smart device that could function as this PVR, games console, and a smart device with video conference abilities. Unfortunately it never realized or had the foundation to realize its potential, and the likes of google, amazon and Apple ended up taking over that space entirely.

No console this gen, if I had to choose I would be torn on one side, there are the perfs and exclusive for Sony (n my taste only) on the other side the Xbox has its pad (personal taste again) and coming from the 360 the BC would weigh a lot for me (owned games + access to plenty of cheap second hand games)
WTF with the guitar hero series, where is the BC? I don't understand people do not ask for it

In the context of the discussion clearly game catalog (overall) is more important than technical prowess of a system, then there is prie (if the differene is relevant). at launch and for a good while the Xbox One had nothing going for it at least from my POV.

This is the latest I have ever dipped my toes into a console generation but there was finally enough console exclusive titles to warrant buying a PS4Pro. The PC has been by primary gaming platform of choice for a long time but console exclusives are the only reason for me to buy a set-top console at this point. So I guess for people like me they matter.

IMO as hardware becomes even more homogenous, exclusives are really the only way to different console products. I highly doubt people would bother with Nintendo consoles at this point if it weren't for their first party (and honestly you could say that for Nintendo since the N64 and its 3rd party bloodletting).

Can you edit in some appropriate smilies then? It definitely reads as offensive.

I must say, I read it as entirely humorous and it literally made me LOL. :LOL:

I guess it's ambiguous. :yep2:

I don't think it's even ambiguous. Has anyone been literally offended by being told to do a Reddit AMA?

Anyway, on topic!

Exclusives both did and didn't factor in.

- Nintendo -
The WiiU was never an option - all the power of a tablet, with all the portability of a home console. Good work guys. It's just as well it flopped, because a followup would've been a Gameboy strapped to an overclocked ENIAC.

- XBox -
I've hated Microsoft pretty much my entire life, which was further galvanised by their near-obliteration of Nokia. Prior to that, near the launch of the PSWii60 generation, I remember the hostile attitude that Microsoft executives had towards Sony, with one particular twat saying his main goal was a framed copy of Ken Kuturagi's resignation letter.

Lots of ugly, hyper-American, hyper-capitalist behaviour seemed to ooze out of Microsoft for long enough that I never wanted to give them my money. So when Dum Twatprick presented the XBoxOne as the first ever games console where you bought games to not own them, it only registered as "well, of course that's what Microsoft would do."

Thankfully, Phil Spencer seems much more amenable, respectful of the medium, of their customers, and also of their competitors. He's done what I thought impossible: made me like Xbox as a force in the industry.

Really, the whole industry seems to have grown up and stopped that "Sega do what Nintendon't" nonsense, and not before time. Ironically enough, that thing that Sega does turned out to be exiting the console market.

- PlayStation -
Winner by default. That said, I loved The Last of Us, and I've enjoyed every Uncharted, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, and Gran Turismo that I've ever played. Shadow of the Colossus is my favourite game of all time, and there was no way I was going to miss out on The Last Guardian, having waited for it since ~2006 (worth it btw.)

So yeah, if Nintendo hadn't built such shitty hardware, and if Microsoft wasn't staffed by such arseholes, I'd have still picked PlayStation. As it was though, there was no other choice. Thankfully that's different now though!

Prior to that, near the launch of the PSWii60 generation

Me OTOH had a strong bias against Sony in that particular era. I remember a PR stating something like "we did our math, and looking at the PS2 sales numbers we could sell a toaster branded "Playstation 3" and we'd still get around 5 million PS3 consoles sold".

There aren't much worse ways to insult your entire audience than by claiming they would be stupid enough to buy 5 million trash cans from you.
Even if the numbers are correct, you don't openly say something like this, ever.

Those were my college years and I was more focused on the PC than ever, but had I bought a console that generation (well I did buy a Wii but IMHO it didn't really count), it would have been the X360 for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me OTOH had a strong bias against Sony in that particular era. I remember a PR stating something like "we did our math, and looking at the PS2 sales numbers we could sell a toaster branded "Playstation 3" and we'd still get around 5 million PS3 consoles sold".

There aren't much worse ways to insult your entire audience than by claiming they would be stupid enough to buy 5 million trash cans from you.
Even if the numbers are correct, you don't openly say something like this, ever.

Those were my college years and I was more focused on the PC than ever, but had I bought a console that generation (well I did buy a Wii but IMHO it didn't really count), it would have been the X360 for sure.

Haha well, at one point, they were dangerously close to the bolded.

But yeah, around that time, SCE were definitely smug and arrogant. They deserved the thrashing they got and it was to the benefit of every gamer, because it made it clear that bluster is no substitute for great hardware and software.

I don't think it's even ambiguous. Has anyone been literally offended by being told to do a Reddit AMA?

Anyway, on topic!

Exclusives both did and didn't factor in.

- Nintendo -
The WiiU was never an option - all the power of a tablet, with all the portability of a home console. Good work guys. It's just as well it flopped, because a followup would've been a Gameboy strapped to an overclocked ENIAC.

- XBox -
I've hated Microsoft pretty much my entire life, which was further galvanised by their near-obliteration of Nokia. Prior to that, near the launch of the PSWii60 generation, I remember the hostile attitude that Microsoft executives had towards Sony, with one particular twat saying his main goal was a framed copy of Ken Kuturagi's resignation letter.

Lots of ugly, hyper-American, hyper-capitalist behaviour seemed to ooze out of Microsoft for long enough that I never wanted to give them my money. So when Dum Twatprick presented the XBoxOne as the first ever games console where you bought games to not own them, it only registered as "well, of course that's what Microsoft would do."

Thankfully, Phil Spencer seems much more amenable, respectful of the medium, of their customers, and also of their competitors. He's done what I thought impossible: made me like Xbox as a force in the industry.

Really, the whole industry seems to have grown up and stopped that "Sega do what Nintendon't" nonsense, and not before time. Ironically enough, that thing that Sega does turned out to be exiting the console market.

- PlayStation -
Winner by default. That said, I loved The Last of Us, and I've enjoyed every Uncharted, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, and Gran Turismo that I've ever played. Shadow of the Colossus is my favourite game of all time, and there was no way I was going to miss out on The Last Guardian, having waited for it since ~2006 (worth it btw.)

So yeah, if Nintendo hadn't built such shitty hardware, and if Microsoft wasn't staffed by such arseholes, I'd have still picked PlayStation. As it was though, there was no other choice. Thankfully that's different now though!
E3 or launch presentation mistakes and bad PR don't really last long though. Kutaragi statements ended up in memes but nobody cared a year later when Uncharted and Ratchet came out. Nobody is talking about mattrick today either. A lot of the bad stuff was mitigated by the number of quality ps2 games creating high expectations for future ps3 titles, which they delivered eventually. Sales picked up when price dropped and great games started to launch periodically.

For hardware, correcting the cell/nvidia mistake needed a new generation. MS corrected very quickly the kinect forced bundle, the price, and the online drm. But the esram/power deficit needed to wait for mid-gen.

Correcting a price point or value proposition is just a question of bigger bundles and/or absorbing a loss on the hardware until cost reduction R&D kicks in, or until next-gen launches. Sony is probably very happy MS didn't start a price war at mid-gen, the X launching at 399 would have forced them to also take a loss on the Pro to keep the value proposition competitive.

I think the most difficult to solve is a deficit of critically acclaimed (or publicly loved) games. Specially when the ones left are at the 4th, 5th, or more iteration. It takes 7 years to make a new IP and there's no guarantee it will sell systems or build up a long term fan base to monetize sequels for years. It takes decades and many games to build expectations. MS can reuse the successes they had during the 360 period, which makes emulation of past 1P very important to the remaining base. It's less important to nintendo or sony for obvious reasons, but it worked for them during periods of failures, existing franchises prevented a much worse situation when other aspects of a new platform were subpar. It provides some market stability, heck both the N64 and gamecube were profitable. And PS3 ended up beating the 360 despite the year deficit and horrible launch.

Last edited:
Been thinking about this thread off and on and thinking about the past consoles that I've purchased and why I purchased them. I knew that I'd gotten most of them due to an exclusive, but hadn't realized until now (never thought about it) that none of them were 1p exclusives.

Atari 2600 - only console on the market.

I didn't get another console until the PS1 [edit: whoops I had PS2 there originally].
  • PS1 - Final Fantasy VII is what got me back into consoles.
  • N64 - Street Fighter games. Bought it used from a friend.
  • Sega Dreamcast - Soul Calibur and the novel tomogotchi like save unit.
  • PS2 - Final Fantasy X is what got me to pull the trigger on a PS2.
  • Xbox - Star Craft Ghost. Unfortunately that got cancelled. I didn't buy Halo until ~2 years after Halo released. I felt consoles were an inferior way to play FPS so never bought them on console until then. I was also really pissed at MS for cancelling the PC and Mac version. I wasn't wrong on that front, but it kept me from experiencing a good FPS until late in its life.
  • PSP - it was a PlayStation...and it was portable, that's all the reasons I needed. :) I had no idea what games were on it before I went into the store to buy one. I think my first game was a weird Metal Gear Solid game that I can't remember the name of. That game wasn't terribly memorable. Worst mistake of my life was buying a couple of UMD movies.
  • X360 - Gears of War, 2p exclusive, the closest I've come to a 1p exclusive getting me to buy a world wide (IE - not Japan only) console. Almost didn't get it because I was so pissed at MS/Epic for not releasing it on PC.
  • Wii - the novelty of motion controls after trying bowling at a friend's house.
  • New 3DS - Monster Hunter.
  • XBO - Kinect 2 and TV integration.
  • Switch - playing indie PC games on the go. Zelda, while it made me take notice of the console, wasn't going to make me buy the console. And I still don't own Zelda.
In Japan, I've owned a variety of consoles including things like the PC Engine (Turbografix 16 outside of Japan) as well as a whole slew of consoles that almost noone has heard of that only ever had a handful of games released on them in their entire lifetime. One console had 2 golf games released for it in its entire lifetime and nothing else.

That said, I did enjoy 1p exclusives on all of them, but they weren't a consideration for me when buying them. However, up until Wii, 2p or 3p exclusives were why I bought consoles.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
- XBox -

I don't necessarily agree with this. Usually I don't hold back my purchasing decisions or power because of a few rotten apples working at the company. A good product is still a good product, regardless of certain employees behavior. If the whole corporate culture was tainted or curupt, then yes, I would wholeheartedly agree.

Last edited:
Back