AMD Polaris Rumors and Discussion

Is it public relations that would be responsible for deciding the product numbering?
No, but PR should veto the chosen name/number if necessary before launch, unless they actually like doing damage control.
Is there a known date for the spec page change, or when these salvage 560 products made it to market? Given lead times, it seems like this must have been initiated a fair amount of time before it was noticed by consumers.
A lot of people have bought the slower variant already, probably after seeing reviews of the faster variant.

Looks like AMD is launching yet another Polaris refresh, which consists of putting a "X" suffix in the name of the RX500 family:

IJv834c.png

https://www.3dcenter.org/news/gerue...n-modellen-radeon-rx-540x-550x-560x-570x-580x

Given the naming convention, we're probably looking at the same Polaris chips using the updated 12LP from GF, at best.

Supposedly OEM-rebrand since OEMs always want something new (like HD8000-series)

Yeah, the Powercolor Reddit account made the following post. I agree that this is certainly looking like the 8000 series.

Ah, we're back to the good old ATI way of naming upgrades in an existing lineup, for example...
  • Radeon X850XT PE
  • Radeon X1950XTX
Bring it on!

Cannot say much, but see it as OEM model branding. Its not actually a new AIB sku.

Hope this helps.

Well it needs to be seen how the 540 and lower is used considering AMD website states:
GPU specifications may vary by OEM configuration. Please refer to OEM websites for shipping specifications.

Aw dang, and MSI even did a new shroud instead of just painting the old one with slightly different patterns...

OQzALXp.png

Z82lUHk.jpg

I guess they had a couple of these in the production line already so now they have to sell them.

RUMOR: AMD Radeon Polaris 30 GPU Based On 12nm FinFET Node Gearing Up For Launch
According to the source, the company is launching the 12nm version of Polaris (dubbed Polaris 30 if the general naming conventions are followed). This should just be a more power efficient of the Polaris chip and is slated to launch sometime next week.
AMD Polaris 30 will be based on the 12nm FinFET process and you can expect a 10-15% performance increase from the process upgrade and slightly higher clocks. It’s worth keeping in mind that 12nm FinFET is essentially just an enhanced version of 16nm FF and not an entirely new node in itself (that would be 7nm). AMD will not be rolling out its 7nm Vega 20 GPU (which won’t be coming to the gaming market anyways) until the 12nm refresh lineup is launched so it fits in there as well.
https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-polaris-30-gpu-family/

When Turing came out, I think I saw a comment on some website that went something like "I hope AMD comes out with a convincing answer to this soon!".

And at the time, I thought, in jest "yeah, right, probably a Polaris refresh". It would be a bit sad for that joke to turn into reality, though I must admit that a Polaris refresh would be marginally better than nothing.

Considering how the RTX series aren't really threatening anything in AMD's lineup (2070 apparently performs like a 1080 and the others are much more expensive than anything in AMD's portfolio), I was hoping Vega 10 would be getting the 12nm treatment.
At the very least because Polaris' GFX8 ISA is friggin' 4 years old, and prolonging Polaris' lifetime means less incentive for devs to apply newer features like Rapid Packed Math.

If they're doing this with Polaris 10 at a time when GPU prices are going down, I can only guess AMD is planning on making the cheap cards more competitive.
And if AMD re-launches Polaris 10 again in Q4 2018, it probably means Navi isn't coming in Q1 2019.

Considering how the RTX series aren't really threatening anything in AMD's lineup (2070 apparently performs like a 1080 and the others are much more expensive than anything in AMD's portfolio), I was hoping Vega 10 would be getting the 12nm treatment.
At the very least because Polaris' GFX8 ISA is friggin' 4 years old, and prolonging Polaris' lifetime means less incentive for devs to apply newer features like Rapid Packed Math.

If they're doing this with Polaris 10 at a time when GPU prices are going down, I can only guess AMD is planning on making the cheap cards more competitive.
And if AMD re-launches Polaris 10 again in Q4 2018, it probably means Navi isn't coming in Q1 2019.

The microarchitecture's age is a bigger issue than the ISA's—or technically, its performance rather than its age. Still, if Navi 10 is ≥64CU design, then Polaris getting a 12nm refresh wouldn't mean anything in particular about Navi 10's release date.

If there is a P30 what is it going to compete against? I hope it's not against the current Pascal skus. It's still not clear what the lower end next gen cards will be.

If there is a P30 what is it going to compete against? I hope it's not against the current Pascal skus. It's still not clear what the lower end next gen cards will be.
Obviously it would compete against whatever is in similar price and performance range, and if there's no match the pricing will be adjusted accordingly.

Obviously it would compete against whatever is in similar price and performance range, and if there's no match the pricing will be adjusted accordingly.
Interesting, well fun times ahead if all this pans out and we also see a 2060 (Turing/Pascal??).

Back