Crazy (arguably stupid) new rig

AFAIK, motherboard sensors vary from one to the next and are, therefore, spec'd by the manufacturer - e.g. Apple. Sensors on board DIMMs, CPUs, etc. also need motherboard support to be accessible anywhere other than on the device. For example a GPU or CPU can throttle whether the MB cares or not. Most of us have had motherboards that couldn't read all the sensors, etc.

Aren't they embedded within DIMMs these days? Or maybe that's only enterprise stuff.
I've only seen one single "enthusiast" type DIMM with integrated thermal sensors on it; there might well be more, I haven't researched this thoroughly, but they don't seem to be common. My g.skill dimms don't have thermal sensors for example.

Apple typically uses registered and/or ECC DIMMs in their Mac Pros from what I've seen (seeing as they also use xeon CPUs this would make sense), so if enterprise dimms come with thermal monitoring, that's probably (speculation alert!) where the temp inputs are coming from... Good observation! :D

I've 2800Mhz and 3000Mhz kits which have sensors, at least that's what HWInfo tells me. Standard gskill ripjaws V. If apple has software that utilizes these temperatures to keep chips cool then that's great, otherwise I don't hardware manufacturers are going to bother with two separate manufacturing procedures.

Back