How to safely store bulging "pouch-type" Lithium battery?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
So.... i googled but found no info for places to throw lithium battery away other than in my country's capital city.

as a workaround, any idea How to safely store bulging "pouch-type" Lithium battery?

My 6 years old sony vaio tap 11 finally have its battery bulging. I drained it to around 40%, removed it from the tabled, and put it inside a cardboard box. So it wont bent, wont get punctured.

When i contacted sony indonesia, they didn't answer any of my question and other than telling me that sony no longer have VAIO in their care (as i already told them in the email as part of my many questions), and tell me to go to nearest sony service center.

First, I'd suggest storing the battery in a non-flammable container (like an empty tin can for example) and place it on a non-flammable surface (like a concrete floor) just to be safe, and if you're really paranoid about fire, put that cointainer in another metal container and fill the void between them with water... :p

Second, I believe Apple has said they accept electronics - and not just their own stuff - for recycling at least in Merica, I don't know how worldwide this is or if you need an Apple Store specifically to turn the stuff in to them, but it might be worth checking out. If that's not an option for you, I'd suggest looking up a Sony service location near you and ask if they will accept your battery for recycling. Maybe they'll just throw it in the trash when you aren't looking, who can say. But at least you tried to do the right thing! :p

Are you certain there is absolutely no local disposal place? Can you try sending the item in question via a delivery service to the disposal place? :runaway:

They mustnt be able to be turn a profit from recycling then. Wierd just looked up Lithium-Ion battery only 3% of it is Lithium! Unlike the old Lead batteries where the majority of it was lead

Well where I live every retailer selling electronics has to accept electronics for recycling. I wouldn't want to live with a bulging Li-Ion battery.

Back