CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Ethash hasn't been the most profitable algorithm for either Nvidia or AMD for quite some time and Ethereum is actively and visibly working to end PoW in favor of PoS.

Are there really large volumes of people buying new GPU hardware specifically to mine Ethereum and only Ethereum?

Actually, Whattomine has consistently had eth at our near the top for weeks. Prior to that eth was tops for AMD with GoByte or ZCL being tops for Nv.

Vega 56 prices are falling on eBay.

I picked up a set of three for $1604 and got $100 in eBay bucks for the purchase.

If you take into consideration the $600 profit I got when I sold my set of two Vega 56's in February that would make my cost for these three Vega 56's $1004 ($334.67 ea) and subtracting the $100 eBay bucks $904 ($301.33 ea).

Or another way to look at it is if I never sold my original pair and just added the third one for $194 or $94 using the $100 in eBay Bucks.

I needed to get back to mining on Vega's because my rigs were just breaking even considering the power usage.

I plan to decommission the low end rigs and sell them off.

Equivalent to a 6 GPU rig (RX580 or 1070).
Quite underwhelming as well, but a steal for that price.

So it's depressing as this looks like a friendly product for large minig operation which will make life harder for hobyist(ish) miners

On the upside, the price pressure on GPUs could decrease a bit, at least slightly

Last edited:
That is not an appearance that is marketing.

Until it ends up in a reviewers hand I have no trust that it is worth anything at all.

It's not a hard lauch, sure. But it's Bitmain, they're far more reputable compared to all the other mining ASIC suppliers. My bet is that they' ll delay the lauch by 1-2 months if at all. Then you'll get your reviews.

So with de-commissioned mining rigs starting to release GPUs into the second-hand market, I really wish the cards stored lifetime matrices such power consumption, power cycles, fan revolutions and median hourly operating temperature on the PCB to give us some idea how much thread is left on those tires. Every entry I see on for sale is “Two months only barely mined NO PROOF OF PURCHASE” :rolleyes::no:

It's nice to see the hardforks starting to go live. Sumokoins Cryptonight Heavy (4MB scratchpad) has removed all traces of ASICs and so should Monero v7, which just hardforked now. 1.1Gh/s prior to the fork. Will be interesting to see where it settles after today.

I expect the other Cryptonight coins that are slow to fork will get an unpleasant surprise starting today with migrating ASICs, especially looking at Electroneum.

As bad as I want new hardware, I have been looking at used parts where the prices are just waaay too good and I know it's a freaking minefield out there now. :(

Are [H]ard's boards still a good place for used kit? I used to watch it constantly and got a lot of stuff from it for great prices, and it was always what they said and I never had any issues.

1.1Gh/s prior to the fork.

Fork has happened, and the supportxmr.com pool is claiming ~1.14GH/s network hashrate, despite all pools reporting huge drops down to ~25% of their usual hashrates (home miners like me didn't upgrade the mining software before the fork).

So either the network hashrate isn't being reported accurately, or the fork failed miserably at stopping ASICs.

EDIT: Nevermind. The pools are reporting weeks-long averages apparently.
Current global hashrate seems to be arount 165MH/s.

That's 14.3% of yesterday's hashrate. The fork seems to be working for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are [H]ard's boards still a good place for used kit?
Hm, the last time I tried using H's board was eons ago when I had some delusions of upgrading an old Dell Dimension PC that originally came with a 1.7GHz "Willamette" P4 to a 2GHz (which was the max socket 421 or whatsitscalled supported) and some guy there responded that he had one and wanted a like thousand bucks or somesuch ridiculous sum for it.

I said lol no, and he said lol ok and never bothered even trying to haggle with me. I hope that bastard still has that P4 unsold, and that it follows him through his life like Stephen King's "Christine", spreading death and misery wherever he goes.

(I'm only half joking here btw. :p)

Fork has happened, and the supportxmr.com pool is claiming ~1.14GH/s network hashrate, despite all pools reporting huge drops down to ~25% of their usual hashrates (home miners like me didn't upgrade the mining software before the fork).

So either the network hashrate isn't being reported accurately, or the fork failed miserably at stopping ASICs.

Nanopool hash rate was 60.8 MH/s at 03:00 this morning right now at 14:50 it is 24.6 MH/s.

That is a drop of 36.2 MH/s or 59.5%.

https://xmr.nanopool.org/stats

The low this morning right after the fork was 15.7 MH/s but it has stabilized from 04:40 up through 14:50 in the 24-25 MH/s range.

Right now it is slowly increasing to 26.5 MH/s which is still a 56.4% drop.

This site: https://bitinfocharts.com/monero

shows a 42.4% drop in the last 24 hours. That drop should increase until 03:00 AM tomorrow as that was the time of the fork today so 24 hours would have passed by then and pre-fork hash rates will be excluded.

Last edited:
So with de-commissioned mining rigs starting to release GPUs into the second-hand market, I really wish the cards stored lifetime matrices such power consumption, power cycles, fan revolutions and median hourly operating temperature on the PCB to give us some idea how much thread is left on those tires. Every entry I see on for sale is “Two months only barely mined NO PROOF OF PURCHASE” :rolleyes::no:

I have recently bought 3 used Vega 56's that were used in mining. What I liked about the auction is that included the original boxs and all accessories with serial numbers (in case of warranty issue) and the seller stated that the fans were run at high speed (3000+ RPM) all the time and the GPU core never got over 60 degrees. To me that means no card abuse. I currently have them mining using Cast_XMR at 1912 H/s each.

Monero (XMR) hash rate has now dropped a staggering 62% in the last 24 hours

https://bitinfocharts.com/monero

Edit #1: at 11:45 PM CDT it is now down 71% over the last 24 hours

Edit #2: at 7:45 AM CDT on 4/7/2018:

Difficulty 127.092 G +3.69% in 24 hours
Hashrate 141.213 Mhash/s -85.49% in 24 hours
Monero Mining Profitability 0.5736 USD/Day for 1 KHash/s

In the upcoming days the Difficulty will start to drop and Profitability will start to rise to adjust to the new global Hashrate.

Last edited:

The difficulty are calculated over the last 720 blocks. So the network hashrate should start dropping like a stone today when we pass another 720 blocks.

Back